Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

accurized ar-10 on the cheap/ or as much of a budget as possible

countryboy223

hey everyone im interested in starting an ar-10 spr build, im thinking of something like a la rue obr but obviously alittle cheaper. i am wondering what you guys would suggest? please break it down from barrel, comp reciever etc... i want to know how you all would do this. and any pictures would be great. thanks

I've seen a stock DPMS shoot 1 MOA @ 600 yards. It's hard to believe there's much to be had beyond that, or even any need for superior accuracy, although it's your money.

As far as I'm concerned, a .308 that shoots 1 MOA @ 600 is just about all I could ever ask of that cartridge.

FYI I built mine on Iron Ridge Arms lowers, and by the time it was all said and done, I had over $2000 in each one. Top shelf components, but everything is more expensive for the AR-10.

You might look at starting out with a DPMS factory gun, and swapping out components as you get the funds to get it where you want it.

Randy

Just send my RRA Operator upper 20in to Clint at heavy buffers in Van Buren, Ohio. He is fluting the barrel and machining out some holes in the hand guard. Hoping all this will cut near a pound off the front of the gun. Also added one of clints tungsten heavy buffs for a magpul UBR stock. Hope this will balance out the rifle better.

The RRA is shooting under a minute out to 700yds using Gold metal Match. Under $1800 without optics. Its working really well for 3 gun so far before the mods. I think it will be even better after.

DPMS LR308, steel upper, 24" stainless "cryo'd" bull barrel, JP trigger, hard chromed carrier = purchased a few years ago for right at $1500.00. Minus MOA out to 500 yards. It will probably hold that farther, but I have not tried it at ranges exceeding 500. I have a Burriss XTR tactical scope on it that is ok, but was planning to put a better optic on. I kind of got delayed when I started shooting USPSA matches.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a number of AR10 platforms. I had GA Precision build one for me in 6.5 mm Creedmore which is off the shelf factory ammo that cost about the same as .308 Black Hills 175 gr Match but has a better BC. I wouldn't go with the 6 mm that George is coming up with at GA Precision because you not only have to load it but you have to neck down a 6.5 mm case. I have shot both the 120 gr and 140 gr in my GA Precision gas gun. It has a 22" heavy contour barrel with 1 in 8.5 twist. The 120 gr bullets give me a considerably less recoil impulse than the 140's do, so I shoot them out to 600 yards and from 600 out I use the 140's because they have a slightly better BC. With the 120's I was getting a consistant 3/8 of a minute group at 100 yards. The total build cost on the rifle was $2600.00.

I have an Armalite and would recommend the DPMS platform as the magazine options and manufacturers are more abundant. Can get a billet upper/lowers for the DPMS platform pretty reasonable.

With that said, I have a custom Walther LW-50 22" barrel, Paladin .750" 3-position gas block, PRS stock, Armalite-Carbine buffer weight, TUBBs CWS weights, JP V-tac X-tended length forend, Geissele SD Enhanced trigger, and a Benny Rolling Thunder muzzle brake... I also have a good eight or so Armalite AR-10 20rd mags. This is topped off with a GG&G 20moa scout rail and a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 NP-R1 scope.

Edited by Sc0

I've seen a stock DPMS shoot 1 MOA @ 600 yards. It's hard to believe there's much to be had beyond that, or even any need for superior accuracy, although it's your money.

i have dpms lr-308 24" barrel that does shoot sub moa out to 600 yds (3 shot groups). added geisselle 2 stage trigger (did not shoot sub moa before that) and has nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope. use fed gm 168, haven't gotten into handloading.

I rebarreled my Armalite AR-10T due to being a 1-2moa rifle. The rifle was sub-moa when first purchased but was a jam-o-matic and was returned... When I got it back it functioned flawlessly but was not as accurate so ordered the LW-50 tube. (LW barrels come with the bolt head and barrel tenon installed so no worries about headspace issues when assembling.)

My brother and another friend have DPMS Panther .308 Carbines and they are VERY accurate out of the box and cycle flawlessly, it's a good platform to start off with especially for the $$$. I can say that my AR-10 is MORE accurate now but obviously it is not stock and I have almost double the money invested into it, I need to put it up against an OBR now just to see if it compares...

Edited by Sc0

I must be an unlucky one. My DPMS SASS was a

2 to 2 1/2 moa gun at 100 yards. I have a JP barrel that I will be installing tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully that will tighten it up some.

My shooting partner bought a DPMS, it was a 24" heavy barreled model that didn't shoot much better than that. He put a Lilja midweight 20" barrel on it, it shoots amazingly well now (and I'm hard to please) and the handling is night and day better. We frequently shoot it to 1000+.

• 3 weeks later...