Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats side of the bench do you prefer to mount the press on

I'm going to mount my first reloading press (XL 650) soon and before I start drilling any holes in the table I thought I should ask this: What side of the table do you prefer to mount your press on? Im righthanded so I was thinking about mounting the press on the right side of the table and then use the left side of the table as a general work area.

(Btw, I did do a search before posting this. I found some topics on other forums but nothing that deal with this specific question on this forum)

Lots of people have more than one press.. I'm trying to think of anyone I know that only has one..

If you have limited room, probably just depends on your work flow.

You might look through the reloading bench gallery.. and get ideas there

Since front side and top side aren't given options... :)

I am right handed, and use one press (Dillon 650). My press is mounted left of center (not completely to the left, though). You need some room on both sides. You will be feeding it bullets from the left side (need space to stage them) and you will be getting the completed rounds from the right side. When loading, I use the work space on both sides of the machine.

I only have one press (550B on a strong mount) and I have it about 1' in from the right side of a 6' bench. Enough space for me to put a rubbermaid box of polished brass under the finished cartridge tray. Center of the work bench is a empty "work area", and left side of the bench is for my electronic scale on a rubber mouse pad.

I have this bench in my basement.

detail_1181_CADET-6624.jpg

It's left and back edge is in a corner. I have a swivel vice on the right side (maybe 6" from the edge) so I can use it facing the table long ways or short ways. Just left of that is my 550b. The bench is tall enough that I can stand up and reload without having the need of a strong mount. To the left of the 550b is my tools/cleaning/primerloading/work area.

Works alright for me. :cheers:

If anyone wants pictures let me know.

I would say to get a thicker piece of plywood and mount the press to it and then use clamps to mount it to different spots on the bench till you find the one that works best for you.

That is what I did with my new bench and I am actually thinking about leaving it that way so that I can take the press loose and have the whole bench free to use to work on larger things.

What side of the table do you prefer to mount your press on?

The side facing me.

Note to self: Read all of the thread replies before posting stupid joke. Apparently, I am not the only smart-ass around here. <_<

Edited by sirveyr

I don't remember why I did it but I mounted my first SDB on the left side of the desk I load on. When I got my second one, I had plenty of room to mount it equally across on the right side of the desk. Now I have a matched pair and plenty of room to load on either.

I have 3 and tend to mount them toward the right. On the 650 the right side is the busy side (primer, shell eject, case loader feed, handle of course) so that side is well spoken for. The left is really only for bullets. Interestingly I had not really thought about it until I saw your post. I admire your attempt to think everything out but truth is you will not know exactly how to do it (mount, workflow, lighting, storage of compenents) until you screw it up a little once or twice. Also if the setup is not comfortable -- do not be afraid to change it. I suffered with a reloader mounted too low for a while -- that was stupid and strained my back -- raised it up and now I crank away.

I have been thinking about that option my self actually. Did you countersink the bottom bolts into the plywood? And what size of clamps do you use in order to get a good and solid mounting?

I would say to get a thicker piece of plywood and mount the press to it and then use clamps to mount it to different spots on the bench till you find the one that works best for you.

That is what I did with my new bench and I am actually thinking about leaving it that way so that I can take the press loose and have the whole bench free to use to work on larger things.

I have 3 and tend to mount them toward the right. On the 650 the right side is the busy side (primer, shell eject, case loader feed, handle of course) so that side is well spoken for. The left is really only for bullets. Interestingly I had not really thought about it until I saw your post. I admire your attempt to think everything out but truth is you will not know exactly how to do it (mount, workflow, lighting, storage of compenents) until you screw it up a little once or twice. Also if the setup is not comfortable -- do not be afraid to change it. I suffered with a reloader mounted too low for a while -- that was stupid and strained my back -- raised it up and now I crank away.

Thanks :lol: . Haha, the reason that I have so much time to think it through is because I dont get my 9mm until march, and my current guns doesnt need bulk reloading. So I have all the time in the world to fuss about getting everything "perfect" (perfect beeing a general term and probably only lasting a couple of hundred reloaded rounds before I decide to find a new "perfect" setup :P )

Thanks everybody for all the replies! I guess that I can sum it up with "both sides generally work, you just have to find out what works for *you* =) And since my first idea was to mount it on the right side of the table I'll just go with that =)