Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Christmas comes early, XDM 5.25

mpeltier

Powder river actually is now offering 2 different lightened trigger springs. The reduced weight, and the newer competition trigger spring. I recently put that competition trigger spring in my gun and it is a huge difference over the lightened trigger spring, at least a pound. I've also got all the Ti components installed and I couldn't ask for a better trigger. I also have the lightened mag release spring which I am putting off installing, even though after reinstalling the factory one it probably shouldn't be too bad.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know. Took the xdm with PRP Ultimate to my shooting friend, and after he tore it apart and poked around he said "I think the trigger spring accounts for any excess pull weight in this xdm."

Ah ha!

Powder river actually is now offering 2 different lightened trigger springs. The reduced weight, and the newer competition trigger spring. I recently put that competition trigger spring in my gun and it is a huge difference over the lightened trigger spring, at least a pound. I've also got all the Ti components installed and I couldn't ask for a better trigger. I also have the lightened mag release spring which I am putting off installing, even though after reinstalling the factory one it probably shouldn't be too bad.

This is a link to the competition spring, its under xdm springs http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=82&categoryId=15

I ordered their best trigger kit (ultimate match, I believe) and it came with the reduced weight spring, not the competition, but at the time I didn't even see the competition spring on their site. I think it's a relatively new addition, and it really made my trigger exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for that link! Maybe they should call it the "Almost Ultimate Match" trigger? Buy it then turn around and order a $6 spring plus shipping.

This is a link to the competition spring, its under xdm springs http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=82&categoryId=15

I ordered their best trigger kit (ultimate match, I believe) and it came with the reduced weight spring, not the competition, but at the time I didn't even see the competition spring on their site. I think it's a relatively new addition, and it really made my trigger exactly what I wanted.

Edited by kreativecid

Update and photo. I used it yesterday in its first match. Ran without a hitch. We had a target on one stage at 45 yds. Yuck I hate rifle shots with a pistol, but whatever. Many on our squad had misses on that target. I was pleasantly surprised when both my shots were about 2 inches appart right on the edge of the A zone. The only problems encountered at yesterdays match were self inflicted. Measured trigger pull finally and it is exactly 3.5 lbs. With the reduced power trigger spring. No doubt the competition spring would lower to under 3 lbs but not sure if it would slow down the triggers forward movement upon reset. Any body try one have any comment on that?

post-6767-0-13969400-1323716851_thumb.jp

Edited by mpeltier

Hah, you shot Stage 10 at the Factory Classic, too huh? I did get one A hit on that 50 yarder, but I don't know from which string of fire :)

I will be getting the same trigger job myself come the new year...I love that laser cut grip tape, too. Keeps the cool looks of the textured XDm grip, but adds some grit. I won't do the magwell, though...I'll be sticking with Production Division.

Edited by ErichF

I have the same set-up as SCOOB but in an XD9 Tactical. Ultimate match trigger kit. Then later saw the "Competition Trigger Spring" listed so ordered one and installed it. Makes for a sweet trigger and runs like a top!

In all honesty the trigger was really good with just the Ultimate match trigger kit but is even better now.

Hah, you shot Stage 10 at the Factory Classic, too huh? I did get one A hit on that 50 yarder, but I don't know from which string of fire :)

I will be getting the same trigger job myself come the new year...I love that laser cut grip tape, too. Keeps the cool looks of the textured XDm grip, but adds some grit. I won't do the magwell, though...I'll be sticking with Production Division.

No I wasn't there. This was our local match. I dabled in production but loath having to download mags. Such a waste. Id rather shoot limited minor. My normal game is 3-gun anyway, and seldom shoot USPSA, and like it that way.

Edited by mpeltier

I have the lightest of the PRP trigger return springs in all my XDm's now. They return the trigger better in some cases than other reduced power springs that are heavier! This is because it has more preload than some others and even though it is light, it doesn't gain much weight as the trigger is pulled. It is a must have unless you are not after the lightest possible trigger. I'm very happy to see all these positive comments from 5.25 owners. I have just finished working with my .40 5.25 and am going to try to find the thread I started some time back to report results.

Rob

PRP's light competition trigger spring should be part of their Ultimate Match trigger kit. As is, the UMtk is a huge improvement over the stock trigger aka long wet carrot, but to call something "Ultimate" only to find out there is a $6 spring you should buy on the side to take off 25% trigger pull weight is a bit of a head scratcher.

I think a lot of the great reviews are from shooters who have been slapping a nasty Glock trigger since getting into the sport. Then along comes a fantastic and hard working company that makes a much improved trigger kit and the glowing comments flood in which in turn makes everyone buy it. That is good.

But if you've ever shot a TGO1, a decent stock 1911 trigger or a worked on 1911 trigger - all of which come up often when comparing a Powder River or Springer Precision aftermarket xdm kit - there is going to be a major letdown. Maybe a lifelong striker fire shooter may think their new kit is very 1911-ish, but it's not that close.

Don't create a new product. Don't raise the Ultimate price. Just toss out the trigger spring and sell it with the competition trigger spring. It has to be a very minute buyer profile spending $145 msrp for the Ultimate and saying "I'd like the trigger with the 4 pound pull instead of the 3 pound."

The xdm 5.25 with the as-is Ultimate Match is merely 'good'. Everything but that trigger spring is near-excellent, but reminds me of a few sports cars with their long-throw manual transmission sticks. Everyone goes out and buys the short-shift linkage shifter and voices online "why didn't such-and-such company just sell the 'race' car with the short shifter to begin with." Almost as befuddling as why my friend's TGO1 - the firearm responsible for my 1911 addiction - does not have an undercut trigger guard to begin with....

A bit of a rant and not an apples to apples sales/marketing comparison.

I have the lightest of the PRP trigger return springs in all my XDm's now. They return the trigger better in some cases than other reduced power springs that are heavier! This is because it has more preload than some others and even though it is light, it doesn't gain much weight as the trigger is pulled. It is a must have unless you are not after the lightest possible trigger. I'm very happy to see all these positive comments from 5.25 owners. I have just finished working with my .40 5.25 and am going to try to find the thread I started some time back to report results.

Rob

Edited by kreativecid

Kreativecid, I totally agree. And if its a matter of dollars and sense, they could put it in a plastic baggie like everything else, instead of the walmart style hang display packaging. I only care about the parts in my gun not the packaging around the parts. I understand packaging helps sell, but doubt these items are going to be impulse buys at your local gander mountain.

I hate undercut trigger guards! I wish nothing had them. It would not have been a TGO if they had done that to it. I have a Custom Shop 9mm Single stack that has this mod and I wish I could have it undone!

however,regarding the PRP XDm trigger return spring, the lightest spring IS included in the PRP trigger kit. You get both, I just received one the other day and it has two trigger return springs in the nice little plastic package. I know they were not there before because the part has only existed in quantity for a short time. I have had them for a while because PRP sent them to me to test. I received a prototype days before the Production Nationals. Soooo... I'm sure any one needing one can get in touch with PRP and as usual they will take care of you like they do all there customers. Not saying he's gonna give the spring to you, any more than apple didn't send me Iphone 4s's t after I bought a 4 for each my wife and son a couple months ago.

As to taking 25% percent off the trigger weight, that is unlikely. When installed the part did not lower the trigger weight more than 3-4 ounces under the PRP existing lighter spring. It does however return the trigger much more solidly than the other when it gets tweaked to get the same pressure. So you get it lighter and it returns more deliberately, and it's just a few bucks plus shipping? Bargain, Bargain Bargain!!

BTW, the NRA mandates a 3.5 lb. minimum fir trigger weight for action pistol so I do not use the lightest for the Bianchi Cup. lots of people want it lighter than stock but not as light as possible, just like 1911's.

Rob

I want to preface this with "I am not arguing, I am not disrespecting and I am not saying any information is 'wrong'."

The lightest spring was not included in my Ultimate Match kits. A few others on this board did not have them included either. It is a $6 aftermarket item and from all reports makes the good Ultimate Match trigger much much better. The trigger spring with the UM kit is considerably lighter than the oem trigger spring, but the comments on this board say the lighter comp spring is considerably less pull weight than the spring in the UM kit.

Maybe PRP changed it recently. I contacted Powder River about it. Long story short: their customer service is phenomenal.

I hate undercut trigger guards! I wish nothing had them. It would not have been a TGO if they had done that to it. I have a Custom Shop 9mm Single stack that has this mod and I wish I could have it undone!

however,regarding the PRP XDm trigger return spring, the lightest spring IS included in the PRP trigger kit. You get both, I just received one the other day and it has two trigger return springs in the nice little plastic package. I know they were not there before because the part has only existed in quantity for a short time. I have had them for a while because PRP sent them to me to test. I received a prototype days before the Production Nationals. Soooo... I'm sure any one needing one can get in touch with PRP and as usual they will take care of you like they do all there customers. Not saying he's gonna give the spring to you, any more than apple didn't send me Iphone 4s's t after I bought a 4 for each my wife and son a couple months ago.

As to taking 25% percent off the trigger weight, that is unlikely. When installed the part did not lower the trigger weight more than 3-4 ounces under the PRP existing lighter spring. It does however return the trigger much more solidly than the other when it gets tweaked to get the same pressure. So you get it lighter and it returns more deliberately, and it's just a few bucks plus shipping? Bargain, Bargain Bargain!!

BTW, the NRA mandates a 3.5 lb. minimum fir trigger weight for action pistol so I do not use the lightest for the Bianchi Cup. lots of people want it lighter than stock but not as light as possible, just like 1911's.

Rob

• 2 months later...

Well I finally have about 2000 rounds thru my XDM and it has been perfect. Seems like its getting more accurate as I go, but that's just me getting more and more used to it. I did get the competition trigger spring in and re measured pull weight. Striker drops just before the pointer reads 3. That's about perfect for me.

I also installed the reduced magazine catch spring. I heard a lot of warnings about how bad it is to replace but with a little trial and error its not to bad. There is a trick to it and using a punch a tad smaller than the pin working from the left with the punch to line up the release and spring then installing the pin from the right pushing out the punch. I also put a high polish on the catch while it was out. It is much improved.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a PRP ultimate trigger kit over a year ago, it came with 2 springs. I ordered another one last week.. it only came with 1! I will have to call them on Monday and ask them for the lighter one.

;