Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Daylight bright illuminated scopes

barrysuperhawk

I am a big fan of ACOG, have a TA11, and can run it occluded, they do not make them sturdier. They were popular a while back in 3G, but most have moved to variables. For up close it is too much magnification. Occluded I loose some accuracy, probably due to variations in cheek weld or the way I am looking at the chevron or something.

Might have to try it again, it has been sitting on the shelf.

Edited by fastarget

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

time to list most to least durable

I'd like to see that list. I was heavily leaning towards tr24r until I started reading lots of complaints (zero shifting between magnification levels was the most concerning, rain getting in scope, turrets coming loose), and slow and poor customer service for those issues. Now I'm leaning towards Vortex....

It's a lot of dough to drop and it starts to feel like a crap shoot, esp when buying based on on-line reticle pics....

-rvb

IOR NEW PitBull

I LOVE my PitBull's (I have 3) Started with the 1st generation units 3 or 4 years ago and while their illumination levels were not conducive to daylight use, I never managed to get them to shift zero.

I by-passed the Gen 2's and now I have the Gen 3's and they ARE daylight bright. Not quite powerfull as the Swaro but damn close. (same color dot too)

IOR's problems of old (real or perceived) are a thing of the past. NO, I am not sponsored by them (I wish) but of the scopes I own...

Swaro 1x6 BRT, Leup MRT 1.5x5 CMR-2, I really , really like the PitBull best! Simple, fast and effective!

Yes, the external knobs and flat out stupid and they know it, but that is still what the buying public wants...so they get it!

IOR now makes a "larue like" AR mount expressly for the PitBull and it is the way to go.

That's my take.

Patrick

That is correct 1 or 4. With the expansive field of view that the PitBull offers I have yet to wish for anything between.

Patrick

What reticle do you have, the CQB, BDC? where is the best place to purchase?

The 1.5-8 looks intersting, and certainly would be sturdy, however what will that 1.5 on the low end work like for close up. I tried the leupold 1.5-5, but could not shoot it well.

Edited by fastarget

Anyone other than Patrick using the pitbull? Any comments? The 1 or 4 power sounds like a good concept. I don't know why you'd need the in between powers. Just wondering. I'm still trying to decide on which scope. I'm not willing to spend over $1200 or so.

Anyone other than Patrick using the pitbull? Any comments? The 1 or 4 power sounds like a good concept. I don't know why you'd need the in between powers. Just wondering. I'm still trying to decide on which scope. I'm not willing to spend over $1200 or so.

As PE said, the new IOR is the way to go if you want one, because of the field of view and visible daylight illumination........nothing wrong from 1 to 4.......may even be better, most of the time you just hit the cat-tail anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

The Burris TAC30 scope is awesome in the daytime. The Millet DMS-1 is not, you can't see it unless it's dark.

I have seen the TAC 30 wash in bright light. Good scope though just wish it were brighter. Perhaps they have improved it since then.

pat

After reading your post Pat, I was curious. I headed out to the range yesterday and it was very bright and sunny. I turned up the brightness on my TAC30 and I was barely off of looking at the sun dead on and I could clearly see the red in the reticule. I really respect your opinions on anything you post but I was confused about this one. Do you think it's due to mine being brand new and fresh batteries? Or am I missing something? Thanks

The new Leupold VX-6 1-6x with the ballistic fire dot reticle (borrowed from the VX-R) looks pretty promising...

Has anyone been using a VX-R that can comment on the quality of the illuminated dot, etc.?

The Burris TAC30 scope is awesome in the daytime. The Millet DMS-1 is not, you can't see it unless it's dark.

I have seen the TAC 30 wash in bright light. Good scope though just wish it were brighter. Perhaps they have improved it since then.

pat

After reading your post Pat, I was curious. I headed out to the range yesterday and it was very bright and sunny. I turned up the brightness on my TAC30 and I was barely off of looking at the sun dead on and I could clearly see the red in the reticule. I really respect your opinions on anything you post but I was confused about this one. Do you think it's due to mine being brand new and fresh batteries? Or am I missing something? Thanks

Thats good perhaps the batteries in the one I was looking through were weak. I think its a great scope value though.

Pat

Recently acquired a Meopta ZD, in no small part based on the comments in this and similar threads.

We haven't had a lot of bright days here recently, but the dot is very, very bright. Definitely daylight visible.

I own several aimpoints for reference.

Recently acquired a Meopta ZD, in no small part based on the comments in this and similar threads.

We haven't had a lot of bright days here recently, but the dot is very, very bright. Definitely daylight visible.

I own several aimpoints for reference.

Yep the Moepta is very bright.

Pat

The Accupoint never washes out, and battery life????? Forever, as there are none. Still the best 1-4 for 0-500yds In my opinion.

It is a very good scope but I would say its great for 1-300. Past that there is no easy way to do hold overs. I guess you can just have different zeros for different stages with long targets and hold under up close. I do like the Accupoint and you can usually find them used for around $600.

Pat

Accupoint is the way to go. I wrestled with this decision back in July and after doing my research and shooting a few, I went with the Trijicon. The glass quality is impeccable and I don't really think you could ask for a faster scope in terms of target acquisition - you put the triangle on the target and there is no question where the shot is going. That was a huge factor in my shopping was the fact that the triangle was very similar to the EOTech reticle in terms of quickness.

That being said, the downside, as mentioned is the inability to know your holds with close and far targets. However, that can all be compensated for by spending time and practicing with the optic - make it muscle memory.

As said before though, each scope has its draw backs.

The TR24 is a good scope. I have both it and a ZD on hand right now (the TR is a loaner to me from a friend).

I like the holdover capabilty and the illumination of the ZD.

To each their own. As you said, each has its drawbacks!

Larue mounts are among the best. Consider their SPR or SPR-E mount. AFAIK, both can be had in the 1.5" height, or the 1.93" height if that is what you prefer.

Larue offers a combo package of a mount and a ZD.

Also check with Sportoptics.com, they have a very good price on the ZD.

Larue mounts are among the best. Consider their SPR or SPR-E mount. AFAIK, both can be had in the 1.5" height, or the 1.93" height if that is what you prefer.

Larue offers a combo package of a mount and a ZD.

Also check with Sportoptics.com, they have a very good price on the ZD.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the scope from Sport Optics and the SPR LT104 VFZ mount from LaRue Tactical. Saved $100.82 buying it that way over buying everything from LaRue.

Edited by jdphotoguy