Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DSA FAL

coordinator

Folks I am new with the FAL's. I acquired a DSA FAL with 16" barrel for heavy metal 3 gun. A scope was added to assist in bullet testing. I've fired the following bullet weights, all with Varget powder, 147, 150, 168 and 174. So far my groups are nothing to write home about, we're talking 6 to 8 inch groups. Please offer up any recipes and suggestions that have tightened your groups. I have not had a trigger job done on the rifle yet, I'm waiting to see group size shrink before investing the additional funds. In addition, the recoil is equilavent to getting kicked by a mule. What can be utilized to tame this? I'm generally not recoil shy until I get to the big magnums but this rifle slaps me hard every time it's fired, it certainly gets my attention. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Wade

Im going by memory here, but doesn't the FAL have an adjustable gas port/gas block? check that first.

And 2nd, there is a moderate deal on a 16" M1A SOCCOM in the classifieds today.....................

:cheers:

Edited by whistlepig

As you're NOT Kelly Neal, good luck. If you're a serious/skilled competitor, I'd switch platforms. The FAL isn't an accurate platform (although one occasionally hears rumors of an accurate FAL) relative to others available. Best results with FALs, using an optic, using match quality ammo, from a bench with sandbags, etc., ... seem to run ~2.25moa (100/200 yards) for repeatable 10 shot groups. The reviews in the gun magazines, with results of .75" @100 yards (achieved once, with match ammo, etc., with a mere 3 round group) are misleading.

I didn't mean to rain on your parade. The platform has things going for it: it's durable, mechanically reliable, mags are inexpensive, and it's "the right arm of the free world!" (pthhh!)... but accuracy is one of its weaknesses (relative to what we currently expect/achieve in other platforms). Enjoy it for what it is and don't drive yourself crazy chasing improved performance out of it.

Best,

ac

First, the FAL has adjustable gas. http://www.dsarms.com/text/faq5.htm#10

Second, try factory ammo, something plain and generic, like American Eagle. Then call DSA with the results of the factory ammo. Give them a chance to support their product. There is also: accuracy expectation, which says 3 to 4 MOA. However, if the rifle is built with a new DSA barrel, not surplus, the accuracy should be better. My STG58 (surplus parts) is about 3 MOA on its best day with surplus RG and SA ammo.

To be sure, the scope is ok, and the mount is secure? Shoots the same with iron sights?

The weakness of the FAL is the tipping bolt locking design - variable upwards pressure from the magazine spring causes the groups to open up. To find the ultimate accuracy with your load and barrel, fire single shots with the magazine removed and feed single rounds by hand... not very helpful for 3-gun, of course, unless you live in CA :roflol:

As others have stated, adjust the gas system. It really does take away the recoil.

Secondly, what mount are you using to mount your scope? That needs to be secure. I use a DSA mount.

Third, they are not all accurate, but I do have a DSA factory gun that will shoot 5 rounds into 1".

They are reloads and I had to find what it liked, but it can be done.

Good luck!

I do not know about any weakness. DSA built a fal for me about3 years ago. I have never shoot for groups, but I use it for 3 gun HM and it hits flashers at 315y no problem as long as I do my part. I do use 30rd mags with 20rd. in them.

Do you have the belgain style flash hider with forward angled ports? That thing is brutal. Recoil accentuator! Remove it and the recoil will be less.

Remove if you have this:

http://www.dsarms.com/Belgian-Type-Short-Flash-Hider---002D/productinfo/002D/

I ran a Holland brake on my 16" barrel and it was very very mild. That was surplus barrel gun that would shoot 2moa with irons at 200m, factory ammo. Some of them can shoot pretty well.

Also, what scope mount do you have and is it secure?

Gentlemen,

I wish to thank everyone that took the time to read and respond to my request. In answer to some of the questions, it is a DSA dust cover with rail, Badger rings and Burris Euro Diamond scope. I have not adjusted the gas port from the factory setting, so I'm sure that will tame some of the recoil brutality. In addition, I will try some factory ammo instead of my reloads. I believe, like others, that my handloads are superior to factory cartridges so that's where I started. I may be proven wrong. Also I will try shooting one round at a time, if nothing else I will become proficient at changing magazines. want2race, I checked the flash hider and luckily I don't have that version. Gentlemen, again thank you for coming to my aid.

Kindest Regards,

Wade

Mine shoots about 2 moa if I do my part with surplus m80 ball. It has the stg58 barrel in it and dsa did a trigger job on it when I bought it.

Vandenberg custom (vandenbergcustom.com) makes a very nice muzzle brake for the fal.

Ed also works on FALs as well should you need some smithing done. (ed also sells a nice free float tube)

Try Hornady 155 grain AMAX bullets which is what my DSA FAL seems to like. Or Sierra 150 grain Match Kings.

Mine has a standard DSA barrel and shoots around 1 MOA (5 shot groups), sometimes better. I always found the trigger to be the FAL's weakpoint, not the accuracy. I don't think they will ever be AR10 or supermatch M1A accurate although they are sure easier to scope than an M1A!

I've seen some accurate FALS and some not so accurate FALs. In my experience, most shoot around 1.5 to 2 MOA. Also in my experience, they shoot significantly better with match bullets. I agree with the observation that one .75 inch 3 shot group does not an accurate rifle make!

Try Hornady 155 grain AMAX bullets which is what my DSA FAL seems to like. Or Sierra 150 grain Match Kings.

Mine has a standard DSA barrel and shoots around 1 MOA (5 shot groups), sometimes better. I always found the trigger to be the FAL's weakpoint, not the accuracy. I don't think they will ever be AR10 or supermatch M1A accurate although they are sure easier to scope than an M1A!

I've seen some accurate FALS and some not so accurate FALs. In my experience, most shoot around 1.5 to 2 MOA. Also in my experience, they shoot significantly better with match bullets. I agree with the observation that one .75 inch 3 shot group does not an accurate rifle make!

+1 on the 155's, mine loves them too!! Also, mine is a little hard on all hollowpoint rounds, so FMJ and tipped rounds always shoot better.

Also, if you happen to have this stock:

th_falstock2.jpg

that might be part of the recoil problem too. I tried that stock because it looks cool but it would give me a bloody nose. The problem is that where your cheek goes is sloped, not level with the plane of the recoil, so when the rifle comes bac, SMACK!