Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty chamber reload, SLP jamming , me or the gun?

Kyreb

Been shooting an 1100 in 3 gun for the past year and a half with few problems until just recently. So I decided to upgrade to an SLP rather than dump more $ into the 1100.

I took the SLP (NIB) to Briley for one of their three gun packages. ( Weld lifter, action job etc.....) Got it back and it was a jam-o-matic. Read several of the "SLP jamming" threads here then took the gun back to Briley. They reworked the lifter but did not radius the chamber mouth as I requested.

Now the gun functions fine from the magazine tube but I am getting roughly 1 in 10 jams when loading into an empty chamber. (See picture below)

I have tried a couple different variations on my loading technique.....mainly dropping the shell on top of the lifter and/or twisting the receiver to different angles on the load all to no avail. To be 100% reliable I need to stick the shell into the chamber which drastically slows down the load.

Is this situation mechanical or do I need to tweak my loading technique?

IMG-20111004-00045.jpg

Edited by Kyreb

Hey Kyreb,

Little background; I have been shooting the SLP for a little over a year; I definitely will not claim to be an expert, but I have fiddled with the thing pretty extensively and managed just about every type of jam/malfunction you could imagine. That said, I love my SLP and it has run flawlessly is most of the major 3-Gun matches this year. The fiddling was done last winter in practice.

The jam you show below is really scary and I will venture to say that it is a combination of technique and equipment that is contributing. The only time that I have had similar jams with my SLP are when I activate the bolt release too quickly upon dropping the shell into the ejection port. I ran the stock bolt release button for most of the time that I have been shooting it and only recently added the Nordic extension. In hundreds of loads with the stock button I can't think of single time this happened. Right after adding the extension, I had it happen twice in one match; the extractor thankfully did not impact the primer. What I have diagnosed as my problem is that my technique for dropping the new round in the port and hitting the button needs to be modified so that I don't prematurely drop the bolt. The butt of my palm was hitting the release extension. To that end I will also be trimming down the release extension a bit. My mistake was not practicing this technique more before the last match with the added release extension and my technique was set for a bit closer clearance of the gun with the stock button.

My suggestion would be to take the extension off and try a few loads with your current technique. If the problem is solved then you are in the same boat as me. If it isn't solved, then there are other issues. To name a couple, check that when the lifter was welded up nothing was changed to push the rim of the shell out towards the ejection port, try replacing your lifter dog spring, and definitely bell/smoother the edges at the rear of the chamber (but just a bit).

I hope this helps. I would be very interested to know your results and what finally works.

Good luck!

James

I'll agree with James. He is being modest, he probably knows more about the SLP than anyone else I have talked to. I never got that jam and I have the Nordic button on my match gun. I did smooth and chamfer the back of the chamber which corrected the feeding from the magazine tube, but not the exact smae malfuntion as yours. Let su know how it works out.

BTW, you are MUCH smarter than I am...I stuck with the 1100 for 20 years before switching to the SLPs. Never shed a tear after the first match. Now giving up my Glocks is proving to be much more difficult for me.

Appreciate the suggestions.

I am goint to try the champfer on the chamber mouth first as I notice the lip is somewhat rough and quite a bit more pronounced than on my 1100. Cell phone pic below. My gut tells me the problem lies there.

IMG-20111004-00044.jpg

I will also remove the Nordic button and play around with that a bit too.

Will report back with results over the holiday weekend.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving! Rick

Just making sure that I'm seeing this right: Is the extractor actually pressed up against the back of the shell, like it's trying to poke thru it, or is that an optical illusion?

Extractor is butted up against the base of the round and is cocked out a bit. This is another cell phone pic. Quality could be a lot better.

Well.......In a totally unscientific approach. I decided to try 100 empty chamber reloads with the Nordic oversized button removed vs. Nordic button installed.

In the first 100 reloads without the button, I had 5 failure to feeds. In the second session with the button reinstalled, I got through the first 25 loads with 3 FTF, then the SLP decided to eat my thumb. :goof:

IMG-20111125-00059.jpg

Been at the chamber mouth twice now with the dremel. Cranked it down to slow speed and used a fine stone first followed by a fine grit sanding wheel and a lot of polishing afterward. This took all the rough edges down nicely but unfortunately did not help the feed problem a bit.

Edited by Kyreb

Ouch! Sorry to see that. However, it does, in blood red, seem to underline that part of the problem at least is releasing the bolt before things are where they should be. It looks like you were on track to better than double the number of FTFs with the button installed as without. Out of curiosity, were the bolt release parts polished with the work that was done earlier to the gun? If so, it’s possible that they have been made a bit too light. Just another thought.

Hope the thumb heals up quickly so you can get back to loading.

James

The lift gate should have a slight trough in the front of it for shell alignment before going into chamber. This trough will help the front of the shell center line and feed into the chamber. The ears on the lift gate also help this function. If the front of the shell touches any part of the chamber rim while going into the chamber it will cause the shell to kick out. Just a guess looking at the picture.

Also, check the lift height of the gate. If the welded portion is lifting the shell too high then shells could be hitting the rim and kicking out.

A button by itself should not have any influence on the lift if its an external modification only.

Mods to the gun for easier loading - looking at the pic of the SLP and 1100 standing on the noses. The foregrip covers part of the feeding area. You will find it easier to load if you taper or remove some material. It's an easy decision....well maybe! After you make the decision to cut and shape the plastic then you can think about removing metal off of the frame next to lift gate to provide easy thumb access...just sayin. Before you cut take a look at some of the mods other shooters have done.

Edited by Sterling White

Just a thought - I put an extension on my SLP by removing the entire bolt release assembly to tap the button; on re-assembly I did not securely mount the tiny hair pin clip that holds the swivel pin in place. The gun would run fine for 5 or 6 rounds then would FTF and the swivel pin would be sticking out. I'd push it back in and it would run fine a few more rounds until the pin slipped down. Eventually figured out the pin clip was missing and it cured everything.

My SLP does the same thing, runs fine from the magazine but bolt does not want to close all the time when you throw one in the chamber. My SLP is stock except for a C-Rums lifter and a trigger job. I think it is the tip of the lifter causing the issue.

My Winchester SX3 does something similar but only with my slugs. It runs fine with both shot and slugs from the tube. I can load shot in the chamber and 99 % of the time it closes. If I load a slug through the chamber and pop the bolt release, depending on the position of the gun, about 50% of the time it will jam just like the picture. If I keep the gun pointed down and throw the slug it slips in Ok, but if it slightly tipped barrel up is when the jam occurs and all I have to do is give the slug a slight push and it closes. I use Brennecke low recoil slugs. I have noticed they are about a 1/16" shorter than a standard shot shell. I have the lifter welded by C-Rums, but everything else is stock. Not sure if it is the shorter shell or not, but it is pretty much limited to the slugs. I am going to experiment some with other low recoil slugs.

Well, I think I fixed it.

I went at it again with the Dremel. This time I added a flex shaft attachment to the Dremel and used a larger diameter grinding stone. The thin "head" on the flex shaft allowed me to hit the area from 12 o'clock back to 8 o'clock (facing the chamber mouth) a lot better. This is where the "blade" extension on the back of the barrel kept me from hitting very well as the diameter of the standard Dremel tool body was too large. I had also determined this was where the front of the round was impacting on the jams.

I also decided to get more agressive with the stone. I figured if I damaged the barrel, so be it. Replacing a barrel after already investing $1600 in this project was not that big a big deal.

Anyway, it is now feeding 100% with my dummy rounds. I can't make it jam no matter the angle with muzzle up, down or level.

Tomorrow is going to be a practice day at the range with our monthly 3 gun match at the Impact Zone Saturday.

I will be back with range reports. B)

Well, I think I fixed it.

I went at it again with the Dremel. This time I added a flex shaft attachment to the Dremel and used a larger diameter grinding stone. The thin "head" on the flex shaft allowed me to hit the area from 12 o'clock back to 8 o'clock (facing the chamber mouth) a lot better. This is where the "blade" extension on the back of the barrel kept me from hitting very well as the diameter of the standard Dremel tool body was too large. I had also determined this was where the front of the round was impacting on the jams.

I also decided to get more agressive with the stone. I figured if I damaged the barrel, so be it. Replacing a barrel after already investing $1600 in this project was not that big a big deal.

Anyway, it is now feeding 100% with my dummy rounds. I can't make it jam no matter the angle with muzzle up, down or level.

Tomorrow is going to be a practice day at the range with our monthly 3 gun match at the Impact Zone Saturday.

I will be back with range reports. B)

Kyreb, just finished cleaning up that area of the chamber edge with a Dremel using a light stone and then polishing it with a SS wire brush. Seems to have worked. Must have been a sharp edge or burr catching the tip of the shell. Took my slugs and loaded them every which way I could and they all loaded smoothly. I have a match tomorrow with a few slugs shots in it and will see what happens. Funny thing was I did this when I first installed the barrel and it worked fine for many rounds. Thanks for the reminder.

gerritm

Range trip went very well today.

I tried everything I could think of and could not make it hiccup.

I took Remington heavy dove loads, AA "silver bullets", some crap Tula 1 oz loads and it ate everything. I even mixed all those rounds up in the tube a few times and ran it as fast as I could go on the plate rack. Nary a problem.

I am probably tempting the gremlins at the match tomorrow by bragging, but I am anxious to see how she runs under those conditions. B)

So far, so good.

Edited by Kyreb