Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New M&P

4-Fun

Hello all,

This is my first post so please excuse me if this has been discussed before.

I just purchased my first M&P in 9mm. The pistol feels great in the hand, however, I am really troubled with the frame to slide fit.

There is approx. 1/16" of lateral movement. The slide will move to either side enough to touch the frame. In fact, if the side of the frame did not serve as a stop, it would move more than that.

This pistol "rattles" like a WWII era 1911. Coming to M&P from Glock, I'm not used to this.

Is this much side to side movement normal???

4-Fun

1/16" sounds like a lot of slop. If it's moving notably more than your Glock, chances are that something is wrong.

I'd contact S&W and get a free shipping label and send it off to them. Their CS is great and their turnaround is remarkably fast for such a huge company. They should offer you a free magazine for your troubles-- but it'll probably be a stinkin' 10 rounder. Be sure to ask about it!

my new one moves at least that much also. Interestingly, I had a Walther/S&W P99 that also had a lot of movement and it bugged the crap out of me so I sold it. I also notice a lot of side to side movement in the trigger. My internet searches seem to indicate both are normal and most that have been sent back to S&W have come back with a note saying the gun was within spec. Also my front fiberoptic site is off center, not the placement in the groove, but the sight itself appears to be canted to the right a bit. I am a bit concerned about the quality control of these guns and feel if S&W really wants to cut into the Glock market in a big way they need to tighten up their operation. Having said all of that, I do seem to shoot it pretty well, but Glocks and XDMs seem to be built better.

I recently bought a M&P9 from AuctionArms so I wasn't able to inspect it before purchase. My pistol is just like the above posters. My slide has 1/8" gap between the bottom of the slide and the frame cutout.I can move the slide up and down as well as side to side. I like precision shooting and bought the 9mm because I enjoy shooting...not just as a defense gun.

i was so disappointed with that I put it aside planning on selling it. However I like the feel of the gun, the low bore axis and the crisp trigger.Also mine is the carry and range kit with the nice accessory group.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a XDm 525, wow what a difference in quality and fit. I put a PRP drop in trigger kit and that helped the frigger quite a bit. I also have a Glock 19 and it also has superior fit and finish.

I don't know whether to return the gun to S&W or if it would be a waste of time.

Dave

In no means do I wish to bad-mouth S&W, I have had good success with both the M&P Pro 9 and M&P Pro 40, but there is definitely a quality control issue. I got a few military friends into USPSA, and recommended the M&P to them, so that's what they got. They both bought new M&P 9 Pros from the local gun shop, new. One gun had the front sight on backwards, yes,,, backwards! And no, no one in the store messed with it. The other friend had both his sights shift almost completely off the slide his first time to the range. I took a look at it, and you could literally push both sights left and right in the dovetail with a push of the thumb. Except for sloppy slide to frame fit, I have not had problems with my two pros after at least 10,000 rounds each, but I did buy a third M&P this summer for my wife, the Julie Golob edition, and it arrived with a broken trigger spring. Again, I do not wish to bad mouth S&W, the design of the M&P is great and ergonamically there is no better gun for me, but there are certainly QC issues somewhere in the chain. Honestly, how does a gun ship out with a backwards front sight, a broken trigger spring, or sights that you can push out of the slide with your thumb????? Because of how well the gun fits my hand, I am willing to work through these types of quality issues, and one last time, I do not mean to bash S&W, but apparently someone is not doing their job before these guns leave the factory.

I have 2 M&P pro's a full size, and a compact. I really enjoy them. The only issue thus far with the 40 pro is the barrel. I got about 2500 rounds of cast though the factory barrel before the pattern started to open up alot. I was lucky to shoot a 5" pattern at 50 yards.

After calling S&W they suggested that I send it in, however this is my main comp gun and couldn't so instead I shelled out the 150 for the new barrel and had it over-nighted. Put it in and was back in action shooting good groups.

The new barrel has seen 4000 rounds and has held well.

Art

I have 2 M&P pro's a full size, and a compact. I really enjoy them. The only issue thus far with the 40 pro is the barrel. I got about 2500 rounds of cast though the factory barrel before the pattern started to open up alot. I was lucky to shoot a 5" pattern at 50 yards.

After calling S&W they suggested that I send it in, however this is my main comp gun and couldn't so instead I shelled out the 150 for the new barrel and had it over-nighted. Put it in and was back in action shooting good groups.

The new barrel has seen 4000 rounds and has held well.

Art

Art...you're scaring me.

• 3 weeks later...

I called S&W and described the slide play. I told them the thing rattled like a WWII 1911 (it really does). They're sending me a shipping label. I'll keep the post updated.

Please do.

Dave

For those interested, I got the 9 back from Smith and Wesson on Thursday. The note simply read, "within specs."

I am not surprised. I am dissapointed. There is absolutely no reason for this level of fit in a modern firearm. I have seen Glock with 10s of thousands of rounds with a tighter lock up than this.

I decided not to sell the gun. I shot it Saturday, and it shot surprisingly well. I plan to shoot it untill it fails, or looses acceptable accuracy. It will be treated as it is...a redheaded step child. I will see for myself how much duty this duty weapon will endure.

I believe the M&P to be an improvement in polymer pistol design, however, in my opinion, those improvements are made null by poor fit.

In no means do I wish to bad-mouth S&W, I have had good success with both the M&P Pro 9 and M&P Pro 40, but there is definitely a quality control issue. I got a few military friends into USPSA, and recommended the M&P to them, so that's what they got. They both bought new M&P 9 Pros from the local gun shop, new. One gun had the front sight on backwards, yes,,, backwards! And no, no one in the store messed with it. The other friend had both his sights shift almost completely off the slide his first time to the range. I took a look at it, and you could literally push both sights left and right in the dovetail with a push of the thumb. Except for sloppy slide to frame fit, I have not had problems with my two pros after at least 10,000 rounds each, but I did buy a third M&P this summer for my wife, the Julie Golob edition, and it arrived with a broken trigger spring. Again, I do not wish to bad mouth S&W, the design of the M&P is great and ergonamically there is no better gun for me, but there are certainly QC issues somewhere in the chain. Honestly, how does a gun ship out with a backwards front sight, a broken trigger spring, or sights that you can push out of the slide with your thumb????? Because of how well the gun fits my hand, I am willing to work through these types of quality issues, and one last time, I do not mean to bash S&W, but apparently someone is not doing their job before these guns leave the factory.

Rademacher, do I undestand that your Pro models exhibited sloppy slide to frame fit also? Does this seem to be the norm for the M&P?

I have a compact 40 that has a pretty tight fit (one of the reasons i bought it over a millenium pro). I liked it so much i bought a full-size 40 too. the fs is definitely not as tight a fit. It used to bother me, but it is the most accurate gun I own, so i stopped being bothered by it. I figure it'll still shoot even if it's full of sand and dirt.

• 2 years later...

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

I was seriously considering buying an M&P Pro Series w/ 5" barrel.

A local dealer has a pretty good price on them and I like the C.O.R.E. model for a possible open division blaster in 3-gun.

I was just about ready to seal the deal when I noticed a significant amount of side to side movement in the slide to frame fit.

I suppose this could be corrected, but I just couldn't bring myself to drop the money on the counter.

What ever the "spec" is, I am not comfortable with it.

I would have expected a Pro Series gun to be tighter.

Tls

• 3 weeks later...

not as tight a fit. It used to bother me, but it is the most accurate gun I own

I wonder if the "tightness" matters? If it's accurate, will there be another problem?

Will wear and tear accelerate? More recoil? :cheers:

The "slop" will not be an issue. The wonderful thing about the M&P is you can change the locking blocks and sear housing blocks which house the rails.

I would be more concerned with how tight the barrel locks up into the slide, rather than any slide to frame fit.

not as tight a fit. It used to bother me, but it is the most accurate gun I own

I wonder if the "tightness" matters? If it's accurate, will there be another problem?

Will wear and tear accelerate? More recoil? :cheers:

The "slop" will not be an issue. The wonderful thing about the M&P is you can change the locking blocks and sear housing blocks which house the rails.

I would be more concerned with how tight the barrel locks up into the slide, rather than any slide to frame fit.

THIS.

The only time slide-to-frame fit matters is when you use a frame-mounted sight. If the sights are on the slide, then you are looking for a nice tight barrel-to-slide fit instead.

My less than a year old M&P Pro 5" CORE is a rattle-trap, also. Shoots great, though. Very accurate. As accurate or more than my Pro 40 or 9L, both of which have KKM drop-in barrels. Don't worry about the sloppy fit as long as it performs.

I agree with the last two posters. If the pistol is more accurate than the shooters, who cares what the slide to frame fit is like? The only thing that is significant is the barrel lockup.

If the slide to frame fit (lack of aesthetics qualities) bothers folks that much, they should probably look at a different platform. Just my humble opinion and not meant to demean, insult or bother the OPs.

Edited by JMike