Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loads for XDM Competition 5.5

GlockOp

I am in the process of purchasing a new Springfield XD(M) competition series pistol in 9mm. For those of you out there shooting one in competition would you please share what you find to be the best OAL, Crimp etc. in 9mm.

I agree Paul but was interested in what everyone else thought the OAL, crimp etc. should be for best accuracy. The loads we shot over the weekend were for the Glock and about 1.136 to 1.140. I don't think you had any feed problems so that's probably good. I will chrono some rounds when my XD comes at 3.9, 4.0 and 4.1 g of titegroup just to see which best meets the USPSA and IDPA power floor.

Here is some data on my XDM 5.25. Didn't test well in the Ransom rest like Rich told me, so I benched it. I changed the sight to a .100 Dawson, and I think I'll get better accuracy with a .125 the way my eyes are. After the attached test, I concentrated on a 1" square paster at 15 yds and put all 5 shots inside the paster so the accuracy data I have may be suspect. I plan to retest it tomorrow.

XDM5.25.pdf

Here is some data on my XDM 5.25. Didn't test well in the Ransom rest like Rich told me, so I benched it. I changed the sight to a .100 Dawson, and I think I'll get better accuracy with a .125 the way my eyes are. After the attached test, I concentrated on a 1" square paster at 15 yds and put all 5 shots inside the paster so the accuracy data I have may be suspect. I plan to retest it tomorrow.

Thanks Darrell! Very interesting data and spread sheet. I shoot TiteGroup with a bullet length of 1.140 and MG 124gr. So I am not very far off from a good load for the XD(M). With some variations in length it was a good load for 1911's, Glocks etc.

When comparing my G-34 loads to XDs, I've found it's pretty comparable.

My old WSF load for the G-34 is 4.4 behind a 124 MG JHP. It takes 4.6 to do that out of a standard XD-m with a one inch shorter barrel. The longer barrel of the 5.25 should make up that difference.

I would try 4.2/4.3 of N-320 behind that 124 for an XD-m 5.25. That is one amazing load to me.

Personal opinion: I'd stay away from the 147s. To me, they feel sluggish and some have said that they were looking for something "snappier".

As far as length and crimp, I really don't think that it matters for accuracy (within limitations). First off, we're not looking for benchrest rifle accuracy. The difference between a "2-inches at 25" load and a 3-inch load is negligible for practical purposes.

Mostly, length and crimp is a reliability issue. I load short in my Glocks (1.110 for the MG JHP). I've seen so many guns that would puke on long ammo because longer rounds are more likely to have the "three-point jam" than shorter ones. Shorten the bullet and the problem goes away. And shorter cartridges segues straight into the next point...

For accuracy, you're much better served with good powder selection. "Loading Density" is the primary factor affecting accuracy of a given load. Let's say that I do two loads, one with a dense powder that occupies very little case volume and another with a powder that fills the case. We tweak them so that both are running an average of 1000 fps. Almost invariably, the filled cases will give better consistency, a lower Standard Deviation, and therefore better accuracy.

I've had some low Loading Density rounds that wouldn't group 15 inches at 25 yards (no kidding). I switched to a different powder with no other changes and the problem dissappeared.

When comparing my G-34 loads to XDs, I've found it's pretty comparable.

My old WSF load for the G-34 is 4.4 behind a 124 MG JHP. It takes 4.6 to do that out of a standard XD-m with a one inch shorter barrel. The longer barrel of the 5.25 should make up that difference.

I would try 4.2/4.3 of N-320 behind that 124 for an XD-m 5.25. That is one amazing load to me.

Personal opinion: I'd stay away from the 147s. To me, they feel sluggish and some have said that they were looking for something "snappier".

As far as length and crimp, I really don't think that it matters for accuracy (within limitations). First off, we're not looking for benchrest rifle accuracy. The difference between a "2-inches at 25" load and a 3-inch load is negligible for practical purposes.

Mostly, length and crimp is a reliability issue. I load short in my Glocks (1.110 for the MG JHP). I've seen so many guns that would puke on long ammo because longer rounds are more likely to have the "three-point jam" than shorter ones. Shorten the bullet and the problem goes away. And shorter cartridges segues straight into the next point...

For accuracy, you're much better served with good powder selection. "Loading Density" is the primary factor affecting accuracy of a given load. Let's say that I do two loads, one with a dense powder that occupies very little case volume and another with a powder that fills the case. We tweak them so that both are running an average of 1000 fps. Almost invariably, the filled cases will give better consistency, a lower Standard Deviation, and therefore better accuracy.

I've had some low Loading Density rounds that wouldn't group 15 inches at 25 yards (no kidding). I switched to a different powder with no other changes and the problem disappeared.

Thanks Braxton. Interesting discussion on powder density. I like TiteGroup but it is a very dense powder. This also presents and issue if you double load a case. It won't overflow and give you a hint if your not looking :-) What less dense powders have you had success with?

I typically run 1.150 and it has been great for accuracy, one powder I have seems to like 1.142-1.145. As stated above you don't want to go longer than 1.15 thats about the longest the mag seems to fit/feed well, but like I said I get awesome accuracy out of my 1.15 loads and these are with a 124gr rn. I don't really see any benefit of going under 1.135 or so unless on a light jhp or what not.

One more things I've ran a couple thousand rounds threw my gun at 1.15 and haven't had a single failure to feed

Thanks Scoob: 1.15 seems to be the consensus. Very good to know of no failures. I have shot thousands of rounds through my Glock 34's and no failures of the gun. So I am looking forward to this new XDm and reliability.

I use WST in 9mm and 45acp and currently have Bear Creek 125g truncated cone flat point with 4.4g. The 9mm load for my 5" STI Spartan has to be around 1.120 otherwise it won't feed reliably (my M&P 9L eats up 1.15 without issue).

My XDM 9mm 5.25 comes in Tuesday. Per the feedback here I'm planning on a small batch of 1.14 to 1.150 and starting at 4.5 WST since 4.4 at 1.120 in the 5" is accurate, safe and soft shooting.

Yay? Nay?

Edited by kreativecid

That is interesting about your Spartan. My experience was the opposite. When I got mine, I was loading 1.134 OAL and the first couple rounds out of each mag would nosedive into the feed ramp. Research on the forums suggested I try longer, so I loaded some @ 1.15 and voila! - perfect function. My local 1911 guru gunsmith also suggested I go to a lighter recoil spring, so I dropped down to a 9 lb. Wolf, and that worked also. Either of those things alone worked. I have since had the barrel throated and the feed ramp polished, and now 1.14 works fine.

Edited by fred5876r

I am in the process of purchasing a new Springfield XD(M) competition series pistol in 9mm. For those of you out there shooting one in competition would you please share what you find to be the best OAL, Crimp etc. in 9mm.

One thing to keep in mind when loading for the std XD barrel versus a std Glock barrel is that the freebore or forcing cone portion of the chamber is shorter in the XD. Depending on the bullet ogive, weight, and dia. you may jam into the rifling of the XD when seated to lengths that clear in the Glock. The most accurate bullet in my Glock 34 after much testing is the Hornady 125gr HAP. It is also one of the most accurate bullets in my XD Tactical but must be loaded about .020" shorter to seat properly. Always best to check in your own chamber to find the OAL that just touches the rifling with a particular bullet, then load to slightly shorter. Feeding from the mag with any OAL from 1.050" to 1.150" should not be a problem with either pistol. Best accuracy in my XD is with Zero 125 JHP (.356" dia)loaded to 1.125" OAL @ 1050FPS (PF=131)

Edited by reptoid

One thing to keep in mind when loading for the std XD barrel versus a std Glock barrel is that the freebore or forcing cone portion of the chamber is shorter in the XD. Depending on the bullet ogive, weight, and dia. you may jam into the rifling of the XD when seated to lengths that clear in the Glock. The most accurate bullet in my Glock 34 after much testing is the Hornady 125gr HAP. It is also one of the most accurate bullets in my XD Tactical but must be loaded about .020" shorter to seat properly. Always best to check in your own chamber to find the OAL that just touches the rifling with a particular bullet, then load to slightly shorter. Feeding from the mag with any OAL from 1.050" to 1.150" should not be a problem with either pistol. Best accuracy in my XD is with Zero 125 (.356" dia)loaded to 1.125" OAL @ 1050FPS (PF=131)

This is very interesting. I am loaded for the new XDm 5.25 at 1.150 or a bit less. We will see how that goes. Your depth of 1.125 seems shorter than most recommendations, but when I get to the accuracy tests I will sure give this a try.

Yeah Mike, it's shorter than some but I am a long time accuracy guy with a history in Bullseye and feel that when loading to Minor PF it's all about the accuracy and feel. Sure, if you're shooting an 8" plate at 7-10 yds it probably doesn't matter but that popper, 6" plate, or A-zone at 25yds is a differant story. If you take a target and mark some dots on it that you think represent your "wobble zone" when breaking a shot at a given distance, then take a protractor or circle template and draw a circle the size of your loads group at that range around each dot it will illustrate how small consistant groups can improve your score.

If I miss a shot, I want to know it was me, not the gun or the load. But hey that's just me and I like experimenting with loads,LOL.

Here's an example of how much load length can vary by bullet. In my Glock (factory G34 barrel) the OAL that touches the rifling is: Hornady 125 HAP=1.140", 124 Precision-Delta=1.200", Remington 124 JHP=1.195". As you can see the PD and Rem would be fine out to max for feeding (.150") but the Hornady at that length would be jammed into the rifling. Most accurate in my Glock? HAP 125 @ 1.130"

Enjoy the new XD-I love the new 5.25 but I'm in So-Cal :angry2:

Don

Edited by reptoid

• 4 weeks later...

I am enjoying the info here on all of the postings. I ended up at 124gr MG CMJ loaded with 3.8 grains of Titegroup and OAL of 1.140. I tested from 1.120 to 1.150 from some sand bags on a bench. I have a friend who was doing similar tests last night with an identical XDm 5.25 in 9mm with hollow points. He managed to jam one in that would not fire at 1.150. So the limit is certainly in the 1.150 area. In some of the opinions I have read, the closer to the rifling the better :-) In any case, I could not be happier with the XDm and find it to be the best pistol I have had for competition so far.

Yeah Mike, it's shorter than some but I am a long time accuracy guy with a history in Bullseye and feel that when loading to Minor PF it's all about the accuracy and feel. Sure, if you're shooting an 8" plate at 7-10 yds it probably doesn't matter but that popper, 6" plate, or A-zone at 25yds is a differant story. If you take a target and mark some dots on it that you think represent your "wobble zone" when breaking a shot at a given distance, then take a protractor or circle template and draw a circle the size of your loads group at that range around each dot it will illustrate how small consistant groups can improve your score.

If I miss a shot, I want to know it was me, not the gun or the load. But hey that's just me and I like experimenting with loads,LOL.

Here's an example of how much load length can vary by bullet. In my Glock (factory G34 barrel) the OAL that touches the rifling is: Hornady 125 HAP=1.140", 124 Precision-Delta=1.200", Remington 124 JHP=1.195". As you can see the PD and Rem would be fine out to max for feeding (.150") but the Hornady at that length would be jammed into the rifling. Most accurate in my Glock? HAP 125 @ 1.130"

Enjoy the new XD-I love the new 5.25 but I'm in So-Cal :angry2:

Don

Much good info here, you should post this for all new or even experienced loaders to read. Most of the time we just experiment enough to get the gun to go bang, and that is why gun manufacturers have so many problems with reloads and warranty.

Sorry you guys do not get the 5.25!

Rob