Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

going to the Wrong Dentist

GentlemanJim

My Dentist of many years seemed not to listen when I explained problems I was having.

He examined my teeth and said all is well, despite what I was trying to get him to understand.

In my infinite stupidity, I ignored the pain until it got to a point where I just had to do something.

Well my new dentist (one of those 21st century types,Who does not Ride a horse to work) found the problems with high tech xrays.

Broken fillings causing the roots to crack in several teeth,along with others that can only be saved with crowns.

Two will have to be removed, and have bone grafts to allow implants, that going to suck!!!

Tomorrow I have a four and a half hour sit in the chair, just to get started :(

This is going to suck like I cant believe!!!!!!!

I dont Hate a lot of things, but I am going to Hate this :sick:

Jim

Just make sure that you don't have an MD who is not a dentist read your X-Ray after the extraction; give you an antibiotic for a case of osteomyelitis that is a mis-diagnosis for something you don't have because he can't tell the difference between infection and holes drilled to access broken roots; and eventually put you in the hospital because the antibiotics you took for something you didn't have allowed a case of C-diff to take hold and you had to be advanced to IV antibiotics.

Trust me on this one - I've seen it happen, and it isn't a pretty sight.

Just make sure that you don't have an MD who is not a dentist read your X-Ray after the extraction; give you an antibiotic for a case of osteomyelitis that is a mis-diagnosis for something you don't have because he can't tell the difference between infection and holes drilled to access broken roots; and eventually put you in the hospital because the antibiotics you took for something you didn't have allowed a case of C-diff to take hold and you had to be advanced to IV antibiotics.

I'm thinking a complete history -- including consultation with the patient's dentist -- might have prevented that......

I'm not so certain that X-ray reading skills were the only shortfall here.....

My former dentist made a mess of some things and when he retired, my new dentist made x-rays and found 5 leaking or cracked fillings. Some of them had bad things going on underneeth them. Finally it was all fixed, but my dental insurance would not cover it.....so I had to pay about $750 to clean up the mess :-(

On the implants, a graft is done right after the tooth is extracted. There is no hole.

I hope this isn't a discussion.....maybe it is...if so, sorry.

The things I hated about implants was the time it took (almost a year for the complete process) and the cost. No pain at all after everything healed made the cost seem minimal.

Make sure you follow the dentist's instructions, and all will be well.

I agree with Dan completely, having had the same type of experience...

That really sucks, Jim :( I've gotten into the habit of firing doctors, etc, pretty much right away if I at all get the sense that they're not listening to me, or not taking my concerns seriously enough to provide a thought out answer... I'm lucky enough to have found a good dentist, but I've gone through plenty of MDs....

My mom took me to this dentist from time to time. Seemed hard to get an appointment. Many years later I found out, that the problem getting an appointment was he was in and out of the Insane Isyliam, you know one flew over the cocoo's nest.

Then she went to work for one, easy to get in. Well repected kind of guy. So I'm about 12 and I'm sitting there and he's a drilling away and I thought some one had burned up their tacos on the stove, smelled like burned meat, sure enough his drill had over heated and I was cooked internally.

How about the guy I trusted, he says that is the tinest little cavity won't take a second to drill it, shouldn't need the novikane, WRONG!!! I still recall it as a near death expierence.

Jim I hope that you got the right dentist, and wish you the best!

Well I survived this first step, the people were great and they did not use leaches or chicken bones :D

Have two new temp crowns.

Wednesday I have to to to the surgeon to see about two they say cant be saved, that should be fun :sick:

Well its lots of ibuprofen and off to the couch :mellow:

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :D

Jim