Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Custom Shadow vs. Sig P226R USPSA

Marc82Much

I am looking to get a new 9mm gun to compete in USPSA production class. I do not care if the gun is IDPA approved, I have a different gun for that.

I can buy either the CZ Custom Shadow or the Sig P2236R USPSA model for roughly the same price.

The Sig is here http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-uspsa-black.aspx

and the Custom Shadow is here http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/shadowcustom/

Since it is highly unlikely I will find one to try around here (Milwaukee, WI), I am looking for feedback from anyone that may have eperience with both (or either, I guess).

Any help appreciated.

I guess you are looking for people to push you towards the CZ, considering the subforum you posted this in. :)

I owned the CZ Custom Shadow. Beautiful gun and a great shooter, but it just always felt nose heavy to me with that Terminator-looking full length dust cover/front rail. I am actually looking at the CZ Shadow 75 T, which is good for both IDPA and USPSA.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/75shadowT/

I guess you are looking for people to push you towards the CZ, considering the subforum you posted this in. :)

Not really. I cross posted. One other option is the Sig P226 X-5 Allround. Good enough for Max Michel, good enough for me. It would add $3-400 to the cost, though. That is a consideration.

both guns are nice.

you can get good triggers on both guns, both guns handle well and are very accurate for the competition we shoot.

for me. the CZ fits my hand slightly better than the SIG. so really it comes down to personal choice, fit, feel, etc.

Don't think either is a better choice over the other.

I've got a shadow and a Sig that's decked out like the USPSA steel frame version with some upgrades beyond that.

I LOVE the way the SIg feels. The thicker grips seem to fit my hands better than the thin CZ. The DA pull on the Sig is heavier, but smoother. The CZ wins in the SA dept, but the Sig's is still really good. The SRt seems like the reset is shorter than the CZ too. When you eject a mag, it almost shoots out of the Sig, kinda dribbles out of the CZ. I've had a few instances where the mag doesn't drop free out of my Shadow, so I prefer the very positive mag ejection of the SIg.

If you asked me just based on dry fire, I'd say Sig.

But when I shoot, I do a bit better with the CZ for some reason. It may just be I have a lot more rounds through the CZ though.

The Sig seems more robust. The CZ can eat trigger springs and slide stops. Some guys break them a lot, others go tens of thousands of rounds without a breakage. I don't hear about anything ever breaking with any regularity with Sigs. They run really, really well. I don't think I've ever even seen a half from a Sig shooter in USPSA or IDPA matches I've been at. Thats just my observation, so take that for what it's worth.

I really don't think either one would be a bad choice. I really agonized and obsessed over which one I wanted to make my primary game gun. I tentatively decided to use the CZ as the USPSA gun and the Sig as the IDPA gun. But the grips required are different. High thumbs for the CZ, and keep the thumbs off the slide stop for the Sig. So i think I may have to choose one or the other for consistency's sake, and am leaning toward the CZ.

I don't think I've ever even seen a half from a Sig shooter in USPSA or IDPA matches I've been at.

Thanks for the very thoughtful reply. I hope this does not make me seem like a dope, but what does the above quote mean?

Quite the opposite on the dope thing....

It means I suck at proofreading and Safari's autocorrect spell check doesn't understand shooter lingo...

" I don't think I've ever even seen a malf from a Sig shooter in USPSA or IDPA matches I've been at. " - malf as in malfunction.

Edited by Racer377

Go to the store and handle both of them. I know the Sig frame will be slightly different but it will still give you a idea about the differences. Then pick the one that seems to fit you better. I would lean towards a CZ 75 Shadow T for both games.

I don't think I've ever even seen a half from a Sig shooter in USPSA or IDPA matches I've been at.

Thanks for the very thoughtful reply. I hope this does not make me seem like a dope, but what does the above quote mean?

Quite the opposite on the dope thing....

It means I suck at proofreading and Safari's autocorrect spell check doesn't understand shooter lingo...

" I don't think I've ever even seen a malf from a Sig shooter in USPSA or IDPA matches I've been at. " - malf as in malfunction.

Whew! For a minute there I thought you said "never seen Bea Arthur from a Sig shooter..." then I was gonna be really confused!

Edited by Marc82Much

I tried shooting my Gray Guns tuned P226 - and the first match I tried w. a G17 I shoot much better, even though I had to put duct tape over my hand to stop the slide bite.

I love the way sigs feel in the hand, but I didn't like the trigger.

Here's what the top 10 shooters in Production used at the World Shoot....there's more of one pistol than any other.

1 Vogel, Robert USA Glock 17

2 Stoeger, Ben USA Beretta 92FS

3 Mink, Matthew USA CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

4 De Cobos, Eduardo ESP Sig Sauer P226 X-Five Allround

5 Lejano, Jeufro Emil PHI CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

6 Manni, Matti FIN Tanfoglio Stock II

7 VYSNY, MARIAN SVK CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

8 Momcilovic, Ljubisa SER CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

9 PICHUGIN, ALEXEY RUS CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

10 APLETAL, MIROSLAV CZE CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

11 Gyllenberg, Rasmus SWE Y CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

12 Vinduska, Vaclav CZE Grand Power K100

13 Moreira, Galo ECU CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

14 HRNCIARIK, ANDREJ J SVK CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

15 Brocanelli, Paolo ITA Tanfoglio Stock II

16 Drolet, Jean Philippe CAN Y CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

17 Nagy, Ernest SVK Grand Power K100

18 Zuccolo, Giovanni ITA Tanfoglio Stock II

19 Franjo, Nadj CRO HS2000

20 Ibanez, Gorka Walther P99

I had the Sig 226 uspsa and it is a great gun. a local Master class shooter shoots one, both in production and in limited 10 minor and does really well.

Great gun, the SRT trigger is great out of the box. Only issue, the stock sight, shoots low. So most folks end up getting it replaced with a taller one.

I had the Sig 226 uspsa and it is a great gun. a local Master class shooter shoots one, both in production and in limited 10 minor and does really well.

Great gun, the SRT trigger is great out of the box. Only issue, the stock sight, shoots low. So most folks end up getting it replaced with a taller one.

If you are talking about who I think you are, he is dumping it for the CZ