Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617 Sticky cylinder

holdinsteady

Anybody having trouble ejecting spent brass from their 10 shot 617 with steel cylinder? The third and subsequent cylinder (after cleaning) of spent brass has to be tapped out with a tool....can't do it by hand. Is there a relatively easy cure? Polish chambers maybe? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx, Jerry

I suspect it happens when S&W allows their reaming machinery to become a little too worn, causing the chambers to become slightly undersized.

Some 617 chambers are just fine. Those must be the ones made right after they replace the worn-out cutters!

Yes, that's a very common problem. The solution is to ream the chambers. The Manson reamer is fairly inexpensive, and works extremely well.

Thanx for the reply Mike. This manson reamer....is it something that a weekend gunsmith can do on a drill press or does one need a lathe or milling machine? Do you do this commercially?

Jerry

From Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7724/sku=513-051-220/Product/Rimfire-Cartridge-22-Long-Rifle-Finisher-Cyl-

You turn the reamer by hand. I use a tap handle. Get some good cutting oil and clean the chips regularly. It's always amazing how many chips you get.

Thanx Tom....ordering reamer from Brownells

Jerry

One more thing. When you ream the chambers be carefull about going too deep. The reamer will cut the face the rim sits against also. You don't want to go deeper than (at most) JUST TOUCHING it to true the surface. Be carefull.

One more thing. When you ream the chambers be carefull about going too deep. The reamer will cut the face the rim sits against also. You don't want to go deeper than (at most) JUST TOUCHING it to true the surface. Be carefull.

Thanx.....I will keep an eye on it!!!!

Anybody care to rent me theirs for use on one gun? I have machine tools background and will buy it if I break or damage. Interesting .... 2 days and nobody wants to make $20 back on a $50 tool for a 22. Not sure I understand that.

Edited by buckaroo45