Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 and Clays

DWFAN

So.. I'm curious. Can you really NOT make MAJOR with Clays and .40 (180gr) safely ?

Sierra posts a SHORT .40 Major load with Clays and Jacketed 180gr. (950 fps in my 1 book 1 caliber book)

I second handedly know of one Limited gun Mfr that suggests Clays.. for Major.

So, I'm just wondering what the hooplah is about. I know Clays is prone to pressure spike's, and can get nasty in a hurry. Is it bad brass, or unsupported chambers that cause the problems ?

You can and I do for my Para 40, but you have to load them long...won't work in short OAL such as those for Glock length.

I use 4.0 gr at 1.180" OAL in a Para SX-16 .40. Yields about 169 PF.

(Edited to add: 185 gr moly bullet for this load)

DO NOT USE CLAYS with SHORT OAL. You will blow case heads off...I know by experience and it was not fun.

Edited by Mark R

I've thought about trying it Jeremy but I use Clays in my .45's and it's nasty, smoky and not that soft so I figure I'll stay with my smoky TG. I tried Solo 1K too and can't stand the inconsistency of it. I also shot N320 at the Gator and liked it behind BBI 180gr's but I can't find any more now.

Matt

I'm not really planning on trying it yet, I'm just wondering how "unsafe" it really is. Especially with Sierra listing what I remember is 5gr (I'll have to check tonight) and a 180jhp loaded to 1.135.

Edited by DWFAN

I don't know that I would load 5.0 gr of Clays at 1.135 OAL...you're looking for disaster. I load 4.0 at 1.180 and it's major PF...1.135 will certainly test your brass....not to mention your sphincter muscles.

I don't know that I would load 5.0 gr of Clays at 1.135 OAL...you're looking for disaster. I load 4.0 at 1.180 and it's major PF...1.135 will certainly test your brass....not to mention your sphincter muscles.

Lead or jacketed ?

I cant stand temperature sensitivity, which is why I even consider Clays. I like it in .45 with Moly bullets.

I'll have some more good numbers on how sensitive Solo, TG (not much), and WST are here in the next month or so. I'm just to lazy to change my load during the year.

If TG smokes less than Solo/BBI's with these bayou bullets, then my connundrum may be solved.

I said the same thing years ago. I tried CLAYS with lead 180s. Really soft, kinda accurate, and smoked bad. Read some more.

Shot 200s for awhile with CLAYS. Loaded up jacketed 200s with 310 since it has more of a linear curve and you know about pressure before you have problems.

Blew a case of good brass at the Nationals :surprise: ......Found out Jarrett blew a case at Nationals as well at some point.

You know what......what the other guys had posted was very accurate.

CLAYS is great for 45 and minor loads. It does not have a linear pressure curve. You won't know when it is too late.

Try em if you want, but a lot of guys have tried it, had problems, and post why.

Let us know your results....

I have shot over a 1k rnds in the last year using clays with 180gr lead. All were oal 1.135, most were shot through a G35 too. I didnt know there was a issue with clays or I would'nt have even bought it. I got this load out of a reloading manual too!

I have shot over a 1k rnds in the last year using clays with 180gr lead. All were oal 1.135, most were shot through a G35 too. I didnt know there was a issue with clays or I would'nt have even bought it. I got this load out of a reloading manual too!

Were you shooting Major or Minor power factor...my guess would be minor. And yes, that is ok. The problem arises when you load Clays to major PF with short OAL. Minor in G35 is like cheating.

4gr Clays, 180 MG, OAL 1.145, shot in Glocks w/KKM barrels. Shot 50K of them w/no problem.

When I was doing recoil tests N320 was best Clays was close behind. Clays is cheaper and easier to find.

Didn't know clays was to be avoided for major 'till I read it here.

I'm still shooting it, will post when the gun blows. :surprise:

What PF does that make ?

Clays will work for Major if everything is working just right.

One problem will be a big problem.

Be extra careful with clays and make sure you bullets are not in danger of setback.

+1

And if you purchase and shoot once-fired brass, watch the brass around the head, especially around the extractor groves. When I was blowing heads off cases, I investigated each and every case with a magnifying glass (long and tedious operation) before reloading them. I noticed some had small minor cracks. Discarding those, I thought I was fairly safe, but on occasion one would get by and BOOOM...head/case separation. That's when I decide short OAL and Clays do not mix. Like anilson says...one problem will eventually come and it will be BIG. Been there, done that, threw the undershorts away.

I am loading 4.0 gr of Clays at 1.145 behind a Precision 185 with a PF of 168 to 172 (depending on the chrono doing the measuring) out of a G35. Have not blown one yet, but then I have not blown a case with any load I have used yet. As long as the brass appears to be in good shape I am not sweating it to much. Pretty much any case that already has cracks will give you problems no matter what the powder is.

Were you shooting Major or Minor power factor...my guess would be minor. And yes, that is ok. The problem arises when you load Clays to major PF with short OAL. Minor in G35 is like cheating.

I was getting around 928fps with 4.0gr of Clays with oal 1.135. It barely makes Major but that was the whole point of using it! The plated bullets won't do it they run 20-30fps slower, I use the moly-coated lead bullets only, and these are the only lead bullets I use in a glock barrel. Maybe the slippery moly coat bullets keep the pressure down enough, but I don't know! I got this load out of Lyam's reloading book.

Your results may vary!

Edited by gunther

• 3 weeks later...