Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SLP or M2 ... Can't Decide

Ben Diss

Got the SLP today. That trigger's gonna need some work.

<_<

Which SLP model did you get?

I got the Mk1 with 22" barrel that has the weaver rail on it. I also picked up a 24" vented rib barrel that I'll be using for 3-gun. Shot about 200 rounds so far and don't care for the weaver rail at all as it blocks too much of the sight picture. Will be shooting the VR barrel this weekend.

Splits on the shotgun isn't what wins matches.

I feel more recoil with the M2. However, it points faster...it's lighter, and balances better. It's more reliable, and easier to load/operate.

The Benelli is king for a reason.

Words to live by here.

Don't be a puss. :surprise: You won't feel the recoil after the buzzer and no matter what shotgun you shoot muzzle flip is gonna be there. Its not like your double tapping paper like you do with a pistol so all of your muzzle flip and subsequent site recovery occurs as you swing the shotgun to the next piece of steel.

Splits on the shotgun isn't what wins matches.

I feel more recoil with the M2. However, it points faster...it's lighter, and balances better. It's more reliable, and easier to load/operate.

The Benelli is king for a reason.

Words to live by here.

Don't be a puss. :surprise: You won't feel the recoil after the buzzer and no matter what shotgun you shoot muzzle flip is gonna be there. Its not like your double tapping paper like you do with a pistol so all of your muzzle flip and subsequent site recovery occurs as you swing the shotgun to the next piece of steel.

Hey Jesse, thanks for weighing in but it's too late.

0263-sm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself wanting the M2 because of its weight and ability to swing it around quicker.

I've been looking for one over the last couple weeks and snagged a used one tonight on GB for $700. Low round count, looks new, and comes with everything a new one comes with. I was going to buy a new one but at such a savings I couldnt resist. It was a 26" (I would have gotten a 21" if I was going to buy it new), but I figured I'd buy a 21" barrel and consider the 26" barrel a freebie for the same price.

The one thing I don't want is to get my thumb snagged while loading shells. I fix that, get a mag extension, and the 922r parts needed... then I'll be happy for awhile

As far as slugs with the Benelli, mine also shoots high. BUT, I just lower the front until I only see half the front bead above the rib and I'm good at 50 yds. Whole bead seems to work at 100, tho' I haven't put it on paper seriously. A few casual shots that hit a foot square paper target. Good enough for most of what they make us shoot at.

I found myself wanting the M2 because of its weight and ability to swing it around quicker.

I've been looking for one over the last couple weeks and snagged a used one tonight on GB for $700. Low round count, looks new, and comes with everything a new one comes with. I was going to buy a new one but at such a savings I couldnt resist. It was a 26" (I would have gotten a 21" if I was going to buy it new), but I figured I'd buy a 21" barrel and consider the 26" barrel a freebie for the same price.

The one thing I don't want is to get my thumb snagged while loading shells. I fix that, get a mag extension, and the 922r parts needed... then I'll be happy for awhile

Nice pick up. I was watching the same gun but ended up not bidding. I didn't really need the gun, but the price was very tempting. Don't know how much you were willing to pay, but I'm glad I didn't drive up your price.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say this but when a shotgun goes down at a match it seems to be a SLP. I am sure it happens but I don't think I have seen an M2 fail. I saw 3 SLP go single action at the Nat's this year.

Maybe operator error

On the flip side, at the last two months of the local monthly match, it was M2s not finishing stages, while the SLPs ran.

The variables not thrown in for either gun is ammo people are running, how they are maintaining or not maintaining said guns, or what might have been done or not done to the guns to ensure they are running 100%.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. Since I can find a couple of places to buy the SLP right now and not one short barreled M2, I think that's what I'm going to go with.

Not to sound parental, but never buy a guy 'cause it is the only one you can find and it is available now - you can grocery shop like that and be ok. I looked at both the Bennelli and the FN. I really thought about it, did my research and here is what I came up with, that won me over:

1.) All the big dogs run Benellis

2.) There are far more services and parts for a Benelli

3.) The customer service is fantastic

4.) Benellis hold their value increidbly well - just look at Gun Broker and on the forums, you never seel a "deal" on an M2

That being said, the FN does shoot well and I do like its slug shooting, but every time I feel the Benelli Bump, I know I made the right choice.

for lazy shotgunners like me who dont like cleaning shotguns the Benelli is also perfect.

I've had mine for a year, it runs perfectly even though I haven't actually cleaned it yet. (several pheasant hunts and five or so local 3-gun matches). ;)

Eric

Congrats! I shot my FN SLP for my first year and never had an issue. However, since I am Italian, I had to drink the spaghetti Kool Aid and purchased a Salient Benelli. Ohhhhhhh.....do your checking account a favor and never shoot one. Just stick with you SLP and be happy.

Check out the new Remington Versa Max. It is essentially a Benelli M4 but for under $1K and without the 922r headaches. It needs some work before it is 3-gun ready, just like the Benelli/SX2/SLP, but mine is light in the hands, soft shooting and runs like a raped ape. I've not cleaned it since I bought it... don't even know how to get the gas system apart.

Once parts and accessories become widely available, I think this gun is going to make the SX2/SLP obsolete on the 3-gun circuit. There, now I've said it :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Just saw my buddy's SLP Versamax fail--the firing pin retaining pin actually wiggled out to where it caught the back edge of the ejection port.

WHAT THE HELL!? Why would they design it so that that pin isn't captured by the receiver? In other words, why did they make it so that that pin is forward enough to where it could be removed through the ejection port (which we had to do with a pair of pliers to get the bolt to cycle backwards to empty the chamber)?

On the Benelli M2, of which the SLP Versamax's BCG looks to be a close copy, the firing pin retaining pin never moves forward enough to where it can pop out through the ejection port, so even if the pin wriggles loose, it will be captured by the receiver itself.

Edited by dchang0

Just saw my buddy's SLP fail--the firing pin retaining pin actually wiggled out to where it caught the back edge of the ejection port.

WHAT THE HELL!? Why would they design it so that that pin isn't captured by the receiver? In other words, why did they make it so that that pin is forward enough to where it could be removed through the ejection port (which we had to do with a pair of pliers to get the bolt to cycle backwards to empty the chamber)?

On the Benelli M2, of which the SLP's BCG looks to be a close copy, the firing pin retaining pin never moves forward enough to where it can pop out through the ejection port, so even if the pin wriggles loose, it will be captured by the receiver itself.

You mean that you saw your buddy's versamax fail. The SLP doesnt have the firing pin retaining pin design of the versamax, which is a known weak point of that gun. FTFY.

You mean that you saw your buddy's versamax fail. The SLP doesnt have the firing pin retaining pin design of the versamax, which is a known weak point of that gun. FTFY.

Oh, my bad--thanks for the correction, bro!