Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Grip

bbbean

A bad case of tennis elbow has given me a choice between not shooting or shooting minor for a few months, so I'm going to take the time to play with my M&P in production for a while. But I'm used to aggressive grips on my 1911s, and I'm having a hard time keeping my weak hand in position, especially on fast strings. I've put grip tape on the front strap, added a textured grip insert, and added a strip of grip tape above the mag release, but my weak hand still slides off the gun, forcing me to e-adjust my grip every few rounds.

How the heck do you hold on to a plastic gun?

The front of the m&p is narrower than the back. I found when shooting quickly and squeezing the gun hard, my weak hand starts to slip forward. I solved the issue by putting the gun back in the safe

Edited by Supermoto

I'm a bit of newb i guess, but my weak hand only even touches the gun at a spot on the right side of my left index finger, where it touches under the trigger guard. The rest of my hand is only holding on to my other hand. That's what I learned from a matt burkett video and watching other shooters that are better than me, so it's probably all messed up.

I'm a bit of newb i guess, but my weak hand only even touches the gun at a spot on the right side of my left index finger, where it touches under the trigger guard. The rest of my hand is only holding on to my other hand. That's what I learned from a matt burkett video and watching other shooters that are better than me, so it's probably all messed up.

Where does this part of your hand go?

raw_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

I have the same issue with my M&P 45 FS-- Burwell stippling and all. I found that ProGrip makes a huge difference in this regard.

Furthermore, I think it's relative to the size/shape of your hands and what backstrap you're using. Despite having small-to-average hands, I found I actually preferred an arched mainspring housing on a 1911/2011-- it gets my hand higher into the tang, among other things. The M&P's progressively larger backstraps simulate this effect, but with a very aggravating drawback-- they also come with a palm swell. As the backstrap only applies to the rear 3rd of the grip, what this amounts to for me is a crappy surface for the support hand-- uneven and impossible to flush up against.

On the 45, I went with the smallest insert, which offers the flattest profile. That, too made a difference.

Having just picked up an M&P Pro, I hope that the issue won't be nearly as pronounced. I'm also going with a full grip stipple job of a different texture, and will be using ProGrip at all times (as I do now). I also plan on having the "stipple artist" see what he can do about reducing the palm swell on the largest grip insert, as that would be the best of both worlds for me. Only time will tell-- should have it all done by the end of the month.

I would look for a full wrap, pre-cut set of skate tape if I were you and see if that helped. It worked wonders for me on my Glocks, and may be what I go to for the M&P as well. I know Gorilla Grip makes one for that pistol, or you could just fabricate your own. For an even more aggressive texture, the anti-skid "tape" that goes on stairs is extremely tough, and you can pick it up at any major hardware store across the country.

Where does this part of your hand go?

raw_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

Pretty much touching my fingernails I think, but I'll have to double check when i get home tonight. the first knuckle of my strong hand thumb fits in between the first and 2nd knuckle of my support hand thumb. I think I'd have to pull my strong hand fingers out of the way for that part of my support hand to touch the gun. But I'm probably doing it wrong. Even so, my support hand stays put, locked against my strong hand.

That part of my weak hand is way clear of my strong hand fingers. You really do want to get as much of your weak hand on the gun as possible. Not just wrapped around your other hand, but actually in contact with the grip panel on the weak side of the gun.

D832574_73_9698962125.jpg

you also might want to consider A- Grip, it is a tape, not a sleeve ,but gives a very secure grip, even when your hands are sweaty. Much like the fabric used in wet weather golf gloves. I use it on my glock and have ordered it for my M&P. another option that I used for a while is Tennis racket tape. It is very tacky and you can apply it in a thick or thin layer.

Remember to be careful where you put grip tape on your Production gun. There are rules about that sort of thing as well as stippling.

I use some kind of chalky grip enhancer powder stuff from some gymnastics supply company. If you like I'll dig it out of my bag when I get home to see what it is.

I also use filed down skateboard tape, scraps are sometimes free in the local shops.

Of all the modifications I've done, including sights and Apex parts, the grip tape has given me the most noticable improvement in accuracy and gun handling.

3M Safety tread tape. Home Depot or Lowes.

I had to file it down some so my hand wouldnt bleed though.. :surprise::roflol:

I think that's the stuff I was talking about, for use on stairs and such.

I can definitely see having to smooth it out some!

3M Safety tread tape. Home Depot or Lowes.

I had to file it down some so my hand wouldnt bleed though.. :surprise::roflol:

I think that's the stuff I was talking about, for use on stairs and such.

I can definitely see having to smooth it out some!

no way the sharper the better, i use that same home depot skid tape, its like crushed glass i love it. hoppes gumms it up fast so you have to clean more carefully.

I've got pre-cut grip tape on my Glock and I've always been careful to never get any solvent on it. A wet patch may sweep a corner every now and again, but if you're careful, it's not too difficult.

My M&P has a Burwell stipple job, and the new Pro will get some kind of stippling treatment next week. I'm hoping that'll work out, as it seems to work for others.

The front of the m&p is narrower than the back. I found when shooting quickly and squeezing the gun hard, my weak hand starts to slip forward. I solved the issue by putting the gun back in the safe

LMAO!! Brilliant reply. I can't tell you how many guns I tried to like because everybody else did. Sometimes your solution is the best way to go!

Edited by rack&roll

You really do want to get as much of your weak hand on the gun as possible. Not just wrapped around your other hand, but actually in contact with the grip panel on the weak side of the gun.

thanks for the tip, i stopped to shoot a bit on my way to work and experimented a bit, and by moving my support hand just slightly i can get it in contact with the back of the grip panel on that side. Seems to be a bit more stable and I shot well that way. I'll have to practice it now. Thanks again.

I noticed while shooting (minor .40 loads) that the gun did not move the slightest in my hands, even during rapid fire strings of 10 shots. I guess the m&p must just fit my hand well.

Edited by motosapiens