Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Article in Tac Journal

LGator

Erik W mentioned in another post about IDPA's tac journal so I assume you guys read this on occasion.

In the latest edition there is an article by David Monier Williams from www.quickshoot.com outright bashing IDPA and IPSC. As I read it I thought it was satire or a late April Fool's joke. He calls both freestyle isosceles and weaver stances both crap and useless for anything but shooting games. He says, and I quote, "to engage multiple targets using the above stances you must turret ie torque your body, taking it further out of skeletal alignment. This leads....to becoming even more off balance." He further states 'In order to get in touch with reality you need to adopt a stance that is ergonomically and dynamically in balance at all times." ( I should get into a physics lesson here, but will refrain)

He ended the article by goading the editors since they probably wouldn't print his article. The editors of TJ tried to one-up him it seems by printing his letter.

What really irks me isn't that he wrote a letter that shamelessly promotes his own technique and school. It doesn't irk me that the pictures of his technique on his website very closely resembles straight arm weaver stance (or chapman stance), which is nothing new or revolutionary. What pisses me off is that TJ printed his steaming pile of crap! Many other trainers (like Matt Burkett) have to pay to run advertising that promotes their techniques or products, so why should this guy get a free two page ad? I know IDPA doesn't want to look biased or seem partial, but what is the point of publishing an article that the entire sport shooting family will read that does nothing but bash sport shooting?

As an aside, I accept that there are many shooting styles. I doubt I've tried them all so he might be on to something new and fantastic, but he doesn't have the phrase "six time IPSC world champion" behind his name either.

Sorry for the longwinded rant, maybe I should have put this in the hate section.

-Luther

The Article

I think this "article" is just a *letter* not a technique endorsement from IDPA. IDPA HQ *did* put a tactful disclaimer at the bottom of the article. Aside from that, since I'll probably be advertising there soon, I guess I'd better learn now to just keep my trap shut and the rest of my opinions to myself.

:ph34r:

Ken Turnipseed (www.quickshoot.com) came out to one of our IDPA matches a year or 2 ago.

IIRC , those that observed his performance were unimpressed

I think he finished midpack in the overall standings.

Haven't seen him since.

MP

Interesting the videos on his site!

They would probably impress someone the doesnt know SQUAT about shooting.

The guy shooting the HG at the sticks takes a full 3-5 seconds from the draw to hitting the sticks....... FAST?

The guy shooting the shotgun (same one) needs to see Rob Haught do it.....He could show the guy what recoil control looks like!

The same guy shooting the FAL is doing nothing impressive at all especially with a 10 PLUS pound FAL!

Is this the same guy that was advocating shooting with your middle finger and pointing with your index finger a few years ago (OK JOE?)

Recoil control is cool and all but you have to hit the tgt, with the long guns hes not even shooting at anything. With the pistol all he shows me is a decent body index, little time and understanging and practice ANYONE can learn that!

Just another one trying to sell something!

Larry P

I agree with LarryP.

Speed rocking a stick doesn't prove a thing. When was the last time anyone been attacked by a 1x2?

Shooting the shotgun while sitting in the iraqi prison chair was somewhat more impressive, while he's not Rob Haught, at least he didn't flip has a$$ over.

Dancing around with the FAL while shooting at dirt and grass is an Arab CQB technique.

I strongly agree with LGATOR's May 23 posting. William's letter is completley self-serving. I also think the the Tactical Journal's editor(s) could and should have deleted William's self-referrals if they felt the rest of the letter worth printing.

Outlier

Re:videos- BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Very funny. I think someone should dub in some of the commentary from "Most Extreme Elimination Challenge" to those. Then they would be perfect.

Sorry for the longwinded rant, maybe I should have put this in the hate section.

Alright, there still aren't any IDPA Shooting & Rules Questions in this topic, so it's moving out of the IDPA forum.

Why do I have some strange compulsion to go shoot my .50 AE Desert Eagle from an ISO stance whilst standing on one foot and video the whole thing??

:D

Shred, send me the video, I'll dub in some dumb comments and put us up a website. We'll make millions!

Ok, so a new video camera got the best of me...

One-Footed ISO .50 AE (WMV, 1.3MB)

Plus the video that must never be shown to the uninitiated (750K WMV)

Why do I have some strange compulsion to go shoot my .50 AE Desert Eagle from an ISO stance whilst standing on one foot and video the whole thing??

:D

Shred, send me the video, I'll dub in some dumb comments and put us up a website. We'll make millions!

Ok, so a new video camera got the best of me...

One-Footed ISO .50 AE (WMV, 1.3MB)

Plus the video that must never be shown to the uninitiated (750K WMV)

LMAOTMSH!

THATS FUNNY! !

You need to send that to him!!!!

his response will be "but you only shot TWO rounds!!!!

The egret!!!!

I love it!!!!

Hmm, maybe I should put up a video of me shooting that 2.73 second -0 Bill Drill.

In the dark. With a 44 mag and full power 240gr loads, using a 4" 329 that weighs 26 ozs....

Larry P

Shred is my Hero!

Thank you, Shred!!!

Email those guys with the links. 

I'm still working up a proper rant, but one of my rules is "it's pointless to argue with a stance zealot". That comes right after "stance is mostly irrelevant".

Thanks Shred I just blew coffee all over my monitor :lol: . Thats to funny. I do find it amusing how the super tactical ultimate shooting style guys :ph34r: show up to 1 match get SPANKED and then leave (complaning the whole way out that its just a game and not relevant to the real world) and never return. I have met a couple of guys who showed up to a match and actually decided they could learn something and improved their shooting. They unfortunately are the minority.

Steve.

Thanks Shred I just blew coffee all over my monitor :lol: . Thats to funny. I do find it amusing how the super tactical ultimate shooting style guys :ph34r: show up to 1 match get SPANKED and then leave (complaning the whole way out that its just a game and not relevant to the real world) and never return. I have met a couple of guys who showed up to a match and actually decided they could learn something and improved their shooting. They unfortunately are the minority.

Steve.

I used to be one of those guys. I told myself my score sucked because I shot the match "tactically correct." I believed it until I saw someone shoot the same match more "tactically correct" than I did and 90 seconds faster. I've been working on shooting better ever since. I guess I am part of the minority.

"Losers will always look for a way to lose. Winners will always look for a way to win."

Cheers

-Luther

"Losers will always look for a way to lose. Winners will always look for a way to win."

Okay, that is a great quote!

You know what works me up about this type of tactical tardboy is that someone that doesn't know what they are doing may get led in the wrong direction.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein