Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

from Glock to CZ

Xander

Yesterday I got the chance to handle and shoot my buddies CZ SP01 Shadow, and it was an amazing moment for me! My groups was tighter and my runs were faster and my shots are well placed. They fel so natural for me :)

Now I'm thinking of just using my Glock G17 for EDC and home defense. And might get a CZ for IPSC. What can you say guys? Thanks :)

This is where I've ended up.

I carry a G19/17/34 for SD and think the 9mm Glocks just plain rule as combat/defensive pistols, but after shooting them in matches for a while I have decided to go back to the CZ's.

I can do really well with the Glocks mostly, but once the targets are stretched out beyond 17yrds or so the Glock trigger becomes a real hindrance for me and I cannot hold tight accuracy together with them without slowing way down. Now, they are accurate guns, no question it's the Indian and not the arrow, and while I can usually ring 6" plates at 25yrds with them pretty consistently even while going fast, there's just no comparison to what I can manage with a nice crisp trigger in a heavier gun like is the case with a CZ Shadow...

It stinks actually, as I'd like to just stick to the Glocks, but it's been literally years now of trying to overcome the drawbacks (or maybe "unique-ness") of the Glock-trigger to no avail, and life is just too short not to enjoy a good trigger now and then...

Edited by ck1

SP01 Shadow for games, and a 75 Shadow as an EDC! Keeping things consistent is a good thing.

I went from M&Ps & Glocks to a CZ. I used to be scared of the DA trigger and the weight, but the CZ pushers here are quite a persuasive bunch. I bought a SP01 shadow and instantly saw improvement in my shooting. It felt better, it shot better, and I was smitten. All my plastic guns got sold and I have zero interest in them anymore.

This is where I've ended up.

I carry a G19/17/34 for SD and think the 9mm Glocks just plain rule as combat/defensive pistols, but after shooting them in matches for a while I have decided to go back to the CZ's.

I can do really well with the Glocks mostly, but once the targets are stretched out beyond 17yrds or so the Glock trigger becomes a real hindrance for me and I cannot hold tight accuracy together with them without slowing way down. Now, they are accurate guns, no question it's the Indian and not the arrow, and while I can usually ring 6" plates at 25yrds with them pretty consistently even while going fast, there's just no comparison to what I can manage with a nice crisp trigger in a heavier gun like is the case with a CZ Shadow...

It stinks actually, as I'd like to just stick to the Glocks, but it's been literally years now of trying to overcome the drawbacks (or maybe "unique-ness") of the Glock-trigger to no avail, and life is just too short not to enjoy a good trigger now and then...

I am right here exactly. I'm tired of having to put all my effort into just mastering the glock trigger. I picked up a CZ 75b with at Matt Mink trigger job and the first rounds I fired out of it was the fastest I have ever cleared a Texas Star. A pure joy to shoot. I mean, I'm all about taking on a challenge, but I grow to hate my G35 more and more every time I shoot groups past 20 yrds.

Is your trigger stock?

With a little polishing and the ghost rocket kit, mine feels like a completely different animal. Since I started using a 2011, my G35 has also been relegated to SD and is my backup while hunting (I've even taken pigs with it).

I would love the cz 75 platform if it wasn't for my large thumbs: it's just about impossible for me to rack the slide in a hurry. I even put a big honkin' adjustable rear sight on my 38 super tangfolio to have something to grab on to when it jams(I've never had jamming issues with any other cz style except the one I own).

It sounds like you really like the shadow, and your budget allows you to keep both. That alone would justify the purchase for me :cheers:

I've tried the SP-01 and really loved it . It's like cheating:good trigger,long dust cover, metal frame, light slide. I WILL buy one eventually . It will probably have less mileage like my 2011's though. I really don't think I'll give up my Glocks. It keeps me from being "spoiled". I can jump from Glock to SA. SA to Glock not so easy.

Edited by 67 LS1 Camaro

Is your trigger stock?

With a little polishing and the ghost rocket kit, mine feels like a completely different animal. Since I started using a 2011, my G35 has also been relegated to SD and is my backup while hunting (I've even taken pigs with it).

I would love the cz 75 platform if it wasn't for my large thumbs: it's just about impossible for me to rack the slide in a hurry. I even put a big honkin' adjustable rear sight on my 38 super tangfolio to have something to grab on to when it jams(I've never had jamming issues with any other cz style except the one I own).

It sounds like you really like the shadow, and your budget allows you to keep both. That alone would justify the purchase for me :cheers:

My glock has had a Venick super drop in for a while. It never was as good as my buddies, but whatever. It felt pretty mushy with no crispness. Here recently I polished up the stock trigger bar and threw it in and left the Venick connecter and housing with the pre/over travel screws in. I also had to put a medium power FP spring since I was down to CCI primers. I really don't care about the poundage anymore, I just want glass smooth.

Sorry to hear that, and IMHO I've never been overly impressed with the vanek triggers.

I was raised shooting 1911's, so I'll always appreciate a good single stack trigger. During college I read Ed McGivern's book and got pretty heavy into double action revolvers. The glock has always seemed like a pretty nice median to me. The smooth pull with no staging is almost like my tuned model 25(though quite a bit shorter). One of these days I'll pick up a 625 and shoot a couple matches in revolver class for grins. Hopefully I'll see you around, DoubleA, we're not too far from each other.

Sorry for the digression

I'm making my comeback in 2 months (I haven't shot a match in more than a year), and I'll be shooting the gun I enjoy shooting more. The glock will still be my backup, but I just have more fun with the STI.

Sorry to hear that, and IMHO I've never been overly impressed with the vanek triggers.

I was raised shooting 1911's, so I'll always appreciate a good single stack trigger. During college I read Ed McGivern's book and got pretty heavy into double action revolvers. The glock has always seemed like a pretty nice median to me. The smooth pull with no staging is almost like my tuned model 25(though quite a bit shorter). One of these days I'll pick up a 625 and shoot a couple matches in revolver class for grins. Hopefully I'll see you around, DoubleA, we're not too far from each other.

Sorry for the digression

I'm making my comeback in 2 months (I haven't shot a match in more than a year), and I'll be shooting the gun I enjoy shooting more. The glock will still be my backup, but I just have more fun with the STI.

Where are you out of rexican?

This all sounds too familiar. I'm pretty much in the same boat only I am very interested in shooting revolver and had convinced myself I was going to get a 625 for my reward for making master with my glock(cuz I suck at it). Then I got into the CZ thing because mastering the glock has been such a chore and I'm ready to shoot a gun that fits me so I can put more focus on everything else that uspsa is about. I will be going back to my STI single stack in .45 as soon as I finish my goal( I'm at 82%) and enjoy the mess out of a good trigger and those big ol bullets until I get the money to get an sp01 shadow and start shooting production and those oh so cheap 9mm bullets.

Sorry for the digression

Where are you out of rexican?

This all sounds too familiar. I'm pretty much in the same boat only I am very interested in shooting revolver and had convinced myself I was going to get a 625 for my reward for making master with my glock(cuz I suck at it). Then I got into the CZ thing because mastering the glock has been such a chore and I'm ready to shoot a gun that fits me so I can put more focus on everything else that uspsa is about. I will be going back to my STI single stack in .45 as soon as I finish my goal( I'm at 82%) and enjoy the mess out of a good trigger and those big ol bullets until I get the money to get an sp01 shadow and start shooting production and those oh so cheap 9mm bullets.

I just bought a Shadow in two-tone yesterday, should be with me in a couple of weeks :)

='1319673477' post='1560952']

I just bought a Shadow in two-tone yesterday, should be with me in a couple of weeks :)

Let us know what you think once you spend some time with it...?

I did the opposite: I used to like the CZ75B but moved to a Glock (for both carry and competition). I think that this forum will be bad for me, or at least my bank account; you guys are making me want to give the CZs a second chance! :roflol:

This just proves what I been saying all along, guns are like women, you been with the Glock a long time then you put hands on a CZ, and you are all excited. :roflol:

Kimosabae its the indian and not the bow. I like my Shadow a lot, shot tupperware once it wasn't bad.

Every time I got a new gun or sights or grip etc., I always shot >it< better. But in no time I was back to my old habits, like I never changed a thing. Sort of a temporary heightened sense.

30 years ago Rob Leatham AND some dude named Brian Enos smoked a bunch of us with our space aged 45's with their S&W 38 Revolvers.

Damdest thing. I had real money wrapped up in those Eliason sights. smile.gif So, what can I say? Buy one and wear it out.

It's always about the effort.

j

This just proves what I been saying all along, guns are like women, you been with the Glock a long time then you put hands on a CZ, and you are all excited. :roflol:

Kimosabae its the indian and not the bow. I like my Shadow a lot, shot tupperware once it wasn't bad.

I like that guns are like women thing :)

I'm just into Glock back then that I was not giving the Shadow full attention. But after shooting them last week and yesterday during an IPSC class, EUREKA for me :)

• 3 months later...

I fell into a similar situation moving from Glock to Tanfoglio in 9mm. I must say that I get tighter groups with the tangfoglio.The trigger is just great and the all metal gun is just balanced.However, here is my problem, I just bought a G35 last month and its so different.I am exploring the option of doing some changes to the G35 to include changing the trigger kit, the front and rear sights, add a 5.50z magwell and install a heavy duty tungsten guiderod. My friend did just that and this g35 now shoots like a missile chasing its mark.

Will update yall as to my status when i have all the parts installed.

I just picked ups CZ from the Custom shop and am looking forward to giving it a run this spring. Now that being said- I've never had any issues with my G34. I've never had a problem with the mushy trigger... hell you want a surprise break and you're using pulling the trigger quickly anyway- who cares what ti feels like when I breaks? Looking forward to trying something else though. I'm prepared to switch or stay with the almighty Glock... whatever works best for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a CZsp01 SAO from the custom shop a few years ago. I got it out and dusted it off the other day and it points so natural Im going to shoot limited minor for the fun factor with it this spring

Edited by kellymc

Just an update, I moved from #35 to #40 (with a Glock G17) to #18 to #5 (with a CZ Shadow)IPSC Prod Div :)

Nice, haven't seen this thread in a while, good to hear your transition went pretty well.

When shooters I know or are squadding with who shoot Glocks ask me about going from them to the CZ's (which happens a lot, as they still aren't really that popular, but more and more seem to be showing up at my club every match) I pretty much almost always say the same thing: It's pretty hard for most mortals to not pull a shot to the left at least every now and again with a Glock's trigger (especially out past 15 yards), but the same bad shot I might have pulled that wouldn't even have been on the paper with the Glock, might still be an 0/A with the CZ, their trigger's and weight really make them a lot more forgiving than the Glocks IMO, and more forgiving is good... ;)

Just an update, I moved from #35 to #40 (with a Glock G17) to #18 to #5 (with a CZ Shadow)IPSC Prod Div :)

Nice, haven't seen this thread in a while, good to hear your transition went pretty well.

When shooters I know or are squadding with who shoot Glocks ask me about going from them to the CZ's (which happens a lot, as they still aren't really that popular, but more and more seem to be showing up at my club every match) I pretty much almost always say the same thing: It's pretty hard for most mortals to not pull a shot to the left at least every now and again with a Glock's trigger (especially out past 15 yards), but the same bad shot I might have pulled that wouldn't even have been on the paper with the Glock, might still be an 0/A with the CZ, their trigger's and weight really make them a lot more forgiving than the Glocks IMO, and more forgiving is good... ;)

You hit the nail there sir :)

Btw, we had a special fun shoot last 2 months, it's a CZ vs Glock only event, participated by around 30 competitors. It's consist of 1 long course and 1 short course only. Although we were outnumbered (obviously), the CoF has targets that needs to be engaged as far as 18 meters with no shoots in between, they were poppers too at the same distance. Well I know it depends on whose who handles the gun, but mostly those who shoot Glock that day had a hard time with the targets with no shoots :) The event was won by a CZ shooter 1st place, Glock at 2nd and yours truly at 3rd place :)

I have been shooting Tanfoglio's in 9 & .40,and occasionally a Glock 22. I tried a friends mdl 35 and liked it well enough to buy one to try. I put the Heine Slant Pro rear sight and a Dawson Fiber Optic front sight (.105 wide). I'm trying the stock trigger with a 2# Glockmeister race connector, a LWD Ultimate over travel stop, with a Wolf spring kit ( Reduced power striker and firing pin safety spring, with the extra power trigger return spring). Makes a pretty nice Glock trigger. I also added an ICE magwell and ss guide rod with a 15# recoil spring. I've only had it out a couple of times, but it shows a lot of promise. "A" zone or head shots are fairly easy out to 25yds. I think this combination may work for me!

Gandof