Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

from Glock to CZ

Xander

No disrespect for Glock, in fact it's the very 1st pistol I have ever tried shooting at 50 meters offhand, 10 shots slow fire on an IDPA board, cold. I've got 3 in the A zone, 4 charlies and 3 deltas. Not bad for my very 1st try on long range shooting :)

Yesterday I got the chance to handle and shoot my buddies CZ SP01 Shadow, and it was an amazing moment for me! My groups was tighter and my runs were faster and my shots are well placed. They fel so natural for me :)

Now I'm thinking of just using my Glock G17 for EDC and home defense. And might get a CZ for IPSC. What can you say guys? Thanks :)

The SP01 is a great, great range blaster and gamer. I view the CZ like a Ferrari; definately a higher performance tool. I shot my SP01 Custom and 75 Compact better than my Glocks, and about as well as the 1911. The CZ SP01 Custom was the finest 9mm I ever owned/shot and a single action trigger has a lot to do with it, as does the grip angle and balance. The heft of the SP01, especially with the rail up front, really helps tame recoil, and the 75 Compact is a heavy gun as well. Sold both because I decided I shoot Glocks (and the 1911) well enough, wanted to limit my platforms, I have smaller CCWs and did not need a range/game only blaster. It was the right choice for me. If you get a SP01 be sure you can make weight for IPDA if that's your thing. Bottom-line is that the CZ is a great shooting gun.

• 1 month later...

Had a similar epiphany too. While taking my IPSC course, our instructor let me handle a SP01 Shadow while my EDC was a Glock 19.

Two years later, I compete with a Shadow and my EDC is a Phantom.

Not that Glocks are bad (in fact, they are excellent guns), but it is a matter of anatomy. I found it almost impossible to get rid of "frame drag", i.e. the trigger finger touching the gun's frame at the critical moment of shot discharge. Experimenting with the Phantom, I found that touching the lowest part of the trigger curve gave me much better accuracy, including in single handed firing. An expensive lesson, but standardization is a good thing.