Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alan Alda and his overinflated ego

EricW

So, there I was, perusing the TV listings to see what was on PBS tonight.  What did I see listed?  "Alan Alda in Scientific American Frontiers."  For those who aren't in on the joke, it used to be just "Scientific American Frontiers" with Alan Alda as the humble host.

How annoying is Alan Alda's presence on the show?

Yup, it's all about Alan.

Despite what Alan's entourage might be telling him, he's not that good at what he does on the show.  There have been much more likable and compelling hosts in the past and the only thing Alda has going for him is his fading aura as Hawkeye Pierce - the competence of which never manifests itself on the show.  Franky, Alda has no business being there at all.  His only training is as an actor.

The whole show has been turned into "all about Alan Alda."  The show introduction used to feature little science curiosities.  Now, Alda's head just fills the screen.  I really resent Alda's hijacking of show and making it into a monument to his ego.  It's this type of crass crap that's antithetical to the mission of good science.  It certainly is out of place in Public Television.

(Edited by EricW at 8:09 pm on Feb. 18, 2003)

On the other hand, I think Nemoy was PERFECT for "In Search Of" or whatever the hell that show was....

Since he played a scientist, it would have been very easy to turn ISO into an "All About Spok" kind of thing like you're talking about....but they didn't....(prob. because LN really IS humble....)

Is Nimoy REALLY humble? How could we tell, Vulcans are devoid of emotion? Too many years of wearing pointy ear extensions would make you humble, I guess.  He did a great job on "In search of".  Just looking at Alan Aldas smile on Erics link kinda turns me off of the show.  

I just figured Alda got brainwashed into being a commie during all of his MASH episodes.  

M - Marxist

A - And

S - Stalinist

H - Half Wits

or

M - Marxist

A - And

S - Stalinist

H - Half Hour

I could start a whole group on the brainwashing that MASH did to the American public.  Alda was a major producer in that show for most of its lifespan.

(Edited by kaiserb at 11:50 pm on Feb. 22, 2003)

• 17 years later...

There were times of his over inflated ego    coming through   in writing MASH episodes   which I believe the privilege   was given to him because the  show or the network was afraid  to lose him      The hosting of PBS scientific American frontiers could have been given to Leonard Nimoy   I happen to have liked him and he made an appearance in a town where once lived

in the early 1970's     In reference to the Seduction of Joe Tynan   it was said he was too self congratulatory   Politics of anyone in show business  I don't care for

Oddly enough   my mother didn't like Alan Alda      I don't know why women adored him so much anyway   except for the handsome looks during the 1970's   

i have already replied to this topic but I do not see the post

I would not have minded Leonard Nimoy   as the host of Scientific American Frontiers  he was Spock and I am still a big Star Trek fan 

and he  made an appearance in a town where I once lived in    

As far as Alan Alda is concerned he did show his super inflated  ego in his writing of MASH episodes 

and that he exhibited   too self congratulatory  for his film Seduction of Joe Tynan    

The character of senator Joe Tynan was too self centered    his character Hawkeye  considered  himself  as god's gift to women   

This thread was closed because the content/topic was judged not to be in line with the rules of the Hate Forum. (mostly likely politics or shooting related..which are out of bounds)Please review what you are..ahhh...allowed to hate. :)Hate Forum Rules:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/8097-hate-forum-guidelines/

[note: this is a generic reply]

(Not to mention being one hell of a necro-post!)