Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris MTAC 1-4x24

JMIS

• 3 months later...

i am thinking of this scope as well so i will be interested in what people are saying now. i have three choices i am considering

first is the tac 30, i believe the only big difference is on this scope the whole eye piece moves when you change magnification

second is the mtac 1x4, i like this one, but it is a little bit more money.

third is the mtac 1.5x6, it is the same price as the 1x4 so my question on this one is: is the extra magnification worth it on the high end and sacraficing a little on the low end.

i have a shotgun scope that is a 1.5 x 4.5 and as along as the target is at least 5 yards away i can see it clearly. don't know how it would be on transition drill though. i haven't shot any 3 gun yet so i don't know how close the targets get or at what distance a 4 power scope isn't enough.

Most folks who have them seem to like them. My brother has one and likes it.

For me though, I recently purchased an MTAC from Midway USA. I received it on January 11th and when I took it out of the box the illumination didn't work at all (I tried multiple batteries, and yes they were 2032's and yes I put them in the right way). After contacting Burris and Midway, and feeling completely let down by what passes for "customer service" with them both, I returned it for a full refund and bought a Vortex Viper HS.

I'm delighted with the Vortex.

ok so here is a question, why does everyone go with a 1x?x 24mm scope.

the mtac comes in a 1.5x6x40mm. is/would this be a good scope for three gun

I didn't see that when I bought mine. I'll have to check it out.

ok so here is a question, why does everyone go with a 1x?x 24mm scope.

the mtac comes in a 1.5x6x40mm. is/would this be a good scope for three gun

In Open, sure.

The VAST majority of rifle shots are under 250 yards, and I'd say, depending on the match, half are inside 50 yards up to 3 or 4 yards. True 1x on the low end is just faster and gives more advantage up close. I started with a 3-9, then a 2-7, then a 1.5-6 and now a 1-4. Most newer shooters overmagnify. 1x/100 yards is a good rule of thumb. When you get out past 300 yards or so, the targets at most matches are big and can be seen easily at 4x. 6x helps in that 300 to 500 yards range with small targets, but only a few matches have those.

If you do a few drills at 5 to 50 yards on 1x and then on 1.5x, you will want a 1x on the low end.

cool thanks for your input.

a buddy i work with shoots a lot of 3 gun and he keeps telling 1x6 or 1x8 and to be honest i can't afford 1200 for a scope. (i get a discount on burris) so i saw the 1.5 x 6 and thought well that will work and i can afford it. but if the vast majority of people say 4 power is enough then cool i will get a 4 power and see if i like it.

i have the Burris 1-4x mtac and i love it. it is very quick on close targets and plenty of magnification for our local matches where we shoot out to 300yrds. the glass is also better than i expected for a scope in that price range. i have about 1500 rounds through my rifle with this optic on it

• 2 weeks later...

I looked thru a buddie's TAC30 and was so impressed I bought one to replace a NightForce 1-4 NXS that I ended up selling and paying for the TAC30 with $600 left over... Yes, the NF might have been a tiny bit more clear, but for me not enough to justify itself! (Although I kept my NF 2.5-10 on my LR-308)

I looked thru a buddie's TAC30 and was so impressed I bought one to replace a NightForce 1-4 NXS that I ended up selling and paying for the TAC30 with $600 left over... Yes, the NF might have been a tiny bit more clear, but for me not enough to justify itself! (Although I kept my NF 2.5-10 on my LR-308)

You know the MTAC line now includes a 1.5-6, 3.5-10, 4.5-14 and 6.5-25? I've looked through them, have a 4.5-14 on the way for one of my mid-range rifles.

Edited by MarkCO

You need a specific cat tail for the MTAC. The XTR will not fit. Charlie Drissel makes one for the MTAC as does 3 Gun Stuff...

Mick

Now I need a throw lever for my MTAC. Does anyone know if the XTR models will fit, or any links, info for the MTAC?

Thanks Jeremy

:cheers:

Now I need a throw lever for my MTAC. Does anyone know if the XTR models will fit, or any links, info for the MTAC?

Thanks Jeremy

:cheers:

No, the XTRs won't fit. In fact nothing "old" will. Driscol's are available now and 3GunStuff's will be available in about 3 weeks. I ran a prototype of the 3GunStuff, and I am waiting for one of those.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a burris mtac 1X4X24 Wed and out to the range yesterday. The illuminated reticle kept on going off. I could tap on off dial and it would go back on.Called Burris and they said ship it back at my expense.I said its new and defective why should I pay. Called Midway and they said ship it back and they will reimburse shipping.I liked the scope but not shure how dependeble they are. Blaster

Got a burris mtac 1X4X24 Wed and out to the range yesterday. The illuminated reticle kept on going off. I could tap on off dial and it would go back on.Called Burris and they said ship it back at my expense.I said its new and defective why should I pay. Called Midway and they said ship it back and they will reimburse shipping.I liked the scope but not shure how dependeble they are. Blaster

This is the first I have heard of any defects with the mtacs

I've had one for 6 months, besides breaking over the butler cap covers, the only other problems I have seen is the lowest brightness setting is way to bright for a night shot (complete darkness, not twilight or lowlight), it washes out the target. Also, in the brightest of days, the brightest setting seems kinda dim, not a problem if you don't want to use the illumination. Otherwise I love it, I have a cat tail and scope coat coming for it. I've played around with the BDC a little bit, and it is useful and accurate for quick distance shots.

Cheers,

Jeremy