Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 MGM Ironman

All good points, but I think I would like to hear Travis's take on how he envisions the match stacking up, after all it is his party.

Russell, if the top 10% from last years match where to enter the pro division would be mighty thin, my math has 2 in limited, 3 in open, 2 in heavy, 3 in trooper, and 1 in scope tac would make the 10% cut off. Not hardly worth throwing a match for 1 squad.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me Fecit Errol Lawson.

What's the best way to get there if your flying? Meaning, what is the closest airport, etc. Gotta start planning now...the experiences of others is welcomed. Gotta travel from Florida, so driving is kinda out of the question. Thinking about traveling on Tuesday, getting home Sunday.

Thanks.

Me Fecit Errol Lawson.

What's the best way to get there if your flying? Meaning, what is the closest airport, etc. Gotta start planning now...the experiences of others is welcomed. Gotta travel from Florida, so driving is kinda out of the question. Thinking about traveling on Tuesday, getting home Sunday.

Thanks.

Boise Would be the closest Airport, I believe its a hour away from the range.

Travis,

Allow me to throw an idea at you......I would have no problem shooting Trooper twice, yea OK call me crazy. The first match I can pair up with someone shooting amatuer and asist with stage break down and ways to shoot, kinda like a team event. This would be a first for the trooper division but would be really cool. If you think about the true troopers they work in teams. I think it would also go a long way for our sport in helping ams in anyway we can.

Russell jump in here if I am way off base here. Just thought it would be cool to do something different at a really cool match.

Larry

Edited by sbmd

I like the mentoring idea, if you have the time and money go for it. I don't see that violating the rules or spirit of trooper as long as you don't hand them stuff on the stage or assist after the clock goes off. I try to get one Ironman n00b to go along every year, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Getting them prepped for the match and seeing how they do is fun in its own right.

If I had the time/money I'd shoot the amateur match in Tac-Limited or Heavy Scope since I'm not as good in either of those and Ironman is a lot more challenging without full Trooper gear.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Me Fecit Errol Lawson.

Thanks.

Boise Would be the closest Airport, I believe its a hour away from the range.

Thanks. I suppose those who fly, fly into Boise, then rent a car and drive to Parma? Is there camping on site? Or anyone know the name of the match hotel? Looks like flights run in the $400 range, from tampa.

Thanks for the info...

OK...so basically, I'd love to take credit for this,but it wasn't my idea. This is exactly what they did at the Pro/Am in KY this year.

I was asking a bunch of these same qeustions before that match, but in the end, it sort of took care of itself. Everyone that MIGHT have been a pro signed up for the pro match for fear of their buddies giving them the business of shooting in the Am match. I think all of the people that signed up for the Pro match were also looking at the prize table end of things. They didn't want to walk by random draw.

From what I understand, the guy that won the Am match had only shot about three matches, so I don't think it could have worked much better. I'd like to think this will be the same way.

Regarding Larry's post about having a pro with each am squad as a sort of a "perk" for the new guys is a great idea. I don't have all the details worked out yet, but I think I'd actually have one ST pro and one Open pro on each squad. That should cover just about every question that could be asked by a new shooter. The Pro's wouldn't shoot for score, they wouldn't walk the table, and they wouldn't be eligable for any trophies. I'm still spitballing this so I'd like to hear everyones thoughts. We'd also let everyone know what two pros would be on every squad and then the Am's could sign up with the Pros they wanted to shoot with. From there, I'll just have to find 20 pros who wanted to shoot the match twice. NOW....ALL OF THIS WILL BE CONTINGENT ON THE AM MATCH NOT FILLING UP. IF IT FILLS UP WE WON'T BE ABLE TO LET ANY PRO'S SHOOT IN THE MATCH.

FIRE AWAY!!!

Adios,

TG

Well, it's not EXACTLY the way they did it at Rockcastle. They ran both matches at the same time because they had the space and ability to do so. Parma definitely does not. But I actually like this way a lot better. Am's in first, finish up mid day Tuesday, Wed off to reset and give the RO's a bit of breathing room. Then onto the Pro's when the RO's are good and cranky. (Just kidding RO's, and if anyone is reading this is actually Hayden Hixson posting, little bugger got into my account) I like it.

Travis, if the Am match fills, and I hope it does, what about doing some Pro Clinics on Tuesday or Wednesday?

Russell, if the top 10% from last years match where to enter the pro division would be mighty thin, my math has 2 in limited, 3 in open, 2 in heavy, 3 in trooper, and 1 in scope tac would make the 10% cut off. Not hardly worth throwing a match for 1 squad.

I was more referencing that I don't think any top tier shooters would want to compete in the amateur match, not the over all attendance of the pro match.

In talking to people that have shooting experience, but don't necessarily shoot 3 Gun, they all seem to want to shoot the pro match to test their skills against the best.

OK kids. After giving it some thought, I don't think we are going to be able to do the Pro/Am match. I think we are going to have to run it the same way we did last year. OLHOT on the first match, and ST on the second match. I'd love to be able to have a couple of pro's on every squad and help out the am shooters, but if I fill the matches, AND have a high round count, there just isn't any way we'll be able to fit it all in. This match is busy enough WITH everyone taping and setting steel and NOT talking and discussing stages. I'm just afraid it would turn into a big logjam. Sorry fellas.

Adios,

TG

OK kids. After giving it some thought, I don't think we are going to be able to do the Pro/Am match. I think we are going to have to run it the same way we did last year. OLHOT on the first match, and ST on the second match. I'd love to be able to have a couple of pro's on every squad and help out the am shooters, but if I fill the matches, AND have a high round count, there just isn't any way we'll be able to fit it all in. This match is busy enough WITH everyone taping and setting steel and NOT talking and discussing stages. I'm just afraid it would turn into a big logjam. Sorry fellas.

Adios,

TG

Help me out here a little, the dates are the same correct?

"OLHT" stands for open, limited, heavy, and tac optic?, to be shot the first half of the week?

"ST" stands for ?

Trying to purchase plane tickets now, so don't want to screw that up....

Thanks

:cheers:

Hey guys, the whole reason that I got on this forum was because I was interested in participating in the Ironman in 2012. I've done a few local 3-Gun matches over the years but no big matches.

Where can I learn more about the Amateur and Pro classes that you guys are talking about?

Thanks and I'll see you all in June!

Hey guys, the whole reason that I got on this forum was because I was interested in participating in the Ironman in 2012. I've done a few local 3-Gun matches over the years but no big matches.

Where can I learn more about the Amateur and Pro classes that you guys are talking about?

Thanks and I'll see you all in June!

The Pro/Am format is something that is based soley on how you walk the prize table and how much ribbing you can take from your buddies. As I mentioned in my earlier post, we aren't going to be able to pull it off at ironman this year. There is just too much shooting involved and not enough time. There are other circumstances playing on my decision, but I think everyone will still have a good time shooting it the "old fashioned" way.

Basically, the difference between Pro and Am is the Am shooters walk the prize table by random draw. The Pro's walk it order of finish. There isn't any classification system that measures your skills and classifies you. Just like all the other matches in the nation, it is heads up shooting.

Adios,

TG

Travis,

I would like to give my full support (as if it was of any actual value :roflol: )of your choice to run 2 matches in the similar format that you followed last year. I thought it allowed many more shooters to enjoy your match, and allows your R.O.'s to shoot in a real match, on a real squad. Also it would make it easier for me to convince West to come shoot with us if his schedule allows. I am sure that in the end your decision will prove to be a sound one, it certainly will help in getting your R.O.'s for the second match. Travis, I also would encourage you to shoot the match only in scope tac, I would like to move up a place in the limited standings! Remember, "Honey Badger just don't give a shit!". Bring on the winter loading season.

Cheers!