Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative roller handles for the LnL

I recently ran across this page where the fellow makes some varied alternative press handles with roller handles for the LnL and others. He has one in stock proportions and one called the "Ergo" with altered positioning which he claims reduces the amount of forward lean on the down stroke. Although it will probably vary depending on both your height and the mounting position of the press, the roller has to be nice. I know i get sore after the 900-1000 round mark in a single sitting.

http://www.inlinefabrication.com/

Thanks for posting. I like the thicker roller handle he has than the one sold by Ultimate Reloader, and will probably try one.

As I load sitting down but the "standard" model looks better for my application, and he offers that option too.

Still, I wonder how he keeps the handle from turning on you? It seems it'd back itself off during operation?

A design request if the owner of the shop reads this:

Design a bullet tray like the one Dillon has and attach it to the front post of the LNL frame to where it sits directly in front of station 4, offset to the left side of the front post but as close to the shell plate (and soon to be loaded round) as possible without impeding operation. Seems like you could just screw a metal bracket to the press frame and use the friction to hold it in place, might leave a mark in the paint, but big deal. Height would be user adjustable that way too, you couldn't come up too high without impeding seating of the bullet by hand, obviously.

The Ultimate Reloader attachement for a bullet bin puts the Akro bin in the wrong place ergonomically, IMO, and the current design he has on his site puts the bullets farther away than if you just put them in a small dish on the bench next to the press.

Also, with Akro bins you have to come over the top of the side of the bin as the bullet level drops and that extra wasted motion slows you down (I'm splitting hairs here, but still). There needs to be a flatter aluminum tray or dish (like the Dillon one) to eliminate as much wasted motion as possible.

Thanks for posting, it looks like a nice product. I would be interested in some how moving the handle to the left side, so I can take some of the wear and tear off my right elbow. Since I started running my LNL left handed, my right elbow has started feeling much better.

Nice. I have the ultimate reloader handle, and these are cheaper, and look like they ahve a better handle. I've found the bent arm thing to be a big help getting to the bottom of the down stroke sitting on a stool without annoying my wrist any more than necessary.

The ultimate reloader one is prevented from turning by having nuts both top and bottom of where it screws into the press. It keeps it form turning, and from backing out under use. That was an issue I had constantly with the stock handle,a nd I don't miss it one bit. I don't know if these have enough thread to go buy an extra nut.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one. He ships fast USPS flat rate box.

Talked with the owner prior about my concerns of the handle backing out during use. So far, it hasn't been an issue.

I used some blue loctite on the handle, but it doesn't appear to be needed. While I can twist the handle to the right and left if I try, it doesn't cause any issues with operation. For whatever reason, it won't twist on me during the down or up stroke, possibly because of the bend in the handle, no matter how much force I apply.

While I've only loaded 200 rounds since I received the handle this afternoon, overall, I'm pleased. First impressions are the handle is a good thickness, rolls smooth and doesn't hurt my hand on the down stroke like the stock handle did when applying a good deal of force to seat the primer.

Going to order one ASAP. Not sure which one though since I reload sitting down.

I ordered the standard variety, since I also load sitting. If the stock height handle works for you now, that's the way I'd go.

Thanks Mizer. I'm going to take your advice and go with that one.

I learned about these from this thread, and ordered one. It turns out that Dan, the owner, shoots at my club & I had no idea. I reload sitting on a stool and ordered the std version and it works fine, I think the extended would be good for standing. Deprimed a bunch of rifle brass, everything seems good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've deprimed/sized about 500 .223 now, and then reloaded them, so 1,000 plus cycles with this roller handle. Seems to be working pretty good, definitely easier than the ball. The roller is smooth and comfy, seems sized about right.

I think this is a good upgrade for Lnl AP. Thanks to OP for posting the topic, I wouldn't have known about this option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan, glad to see you pop into our discussion. I was looking at the cantilevered bullet tray system and thought it would be handy to have bullets a little closer than where i have them now: on the table behind the finished round tray. It looks like your system is nearly the same and even higher which means still leaning over and picking a bullet out from the now high mounted tray which may not be an improvement to those of us who reload sitting at a lower level than those who stand. Any ideas or projects in the works to get a tray mounted forward of the finished round drop tray? Maybe a combo mount that replaces the factory tray bracket that allows one to be mounted facing forward for access to bullet placement or something like that?

I just went and ordered the standard contour handle myself. I have a pile of components ready for winter reloading and i'm down to a few hundred rounds of my primary calibers so my soon to be new handle and i have some work cut out for us. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan, glad to see you pop into our discussion. I was looking at the cantilevered bullet tray system and thought it would be handy to have bullets a little closer than where i have them now: on the table behind the finished round tray. It looks like your system is nearly the same and even higher which means still leaning over and picking a bullet out from the now high mounted tray which may not be an improvement to those of us who reload sitting at a lower level than those who stand. Any ideas or projects in the works to get a tray mounted forward of the finished round drop tray? Maybe a combo mount that replaces the factory tray bracket that allows one to be mounted facing forward for access to bullet placement or something like that?

In looking into your request, the factory Hornady bin bracket could be duplicated to hold a 2nd tray, but the cost to manufacture that busy lil bracket (Especially the one for the casefeeder)would probably outweigh the demand. However, not being the type to let a request go unanswered, please have a look below.

By modifying the pivot point bracket on the double bullet tray system, you can now flip the bracket upside down and drop the bullet tray all the way down. The end result is the bottom of the bullet tray can be swung over the finished cartridge tray. It doesn't interfere with output and when the output bin is full, just swing the bullet tray away or slide it out from under the bullet tray. Thoughts?

IMG_3913.jpg

Clears output tray height by 3\4"

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

Swings out of the way.

IMG_3922.jpg

Stows out of the way.

IMG_3924.jpg

I'm thinking check those loads for squibs, they look like nice new cases but a touch light on the powder... ;)

Slightly more on topic, I wonder about adjustment to allow diff't folks to not bend elbow/wrist in awkward manner to reach inside the bin. My bullets are kept on the table back and left of the dump bin, and i don't have to bend my left wrist in any way to pick up next bullet and set. If i had to bend it back or flip hand to grab a bullet, might seem tiring after a bit. I think I'd want the opening facing me. Also wonder about a slot or a few slotted holes with wing nut fasteners to let grumpy/fussy types like me slide adjust the pivot placement for placement. I do see that the bin slides on the last piece, which is nice.

Dats all I gots, and ain't never seed dis in person.

Edited by ben b.

I'm thinking check those loads for squibs, they look like nice new cases but a touch light on the powder... ;)

Slightly more on topic, I wonder about adjustment to allow diff't folks to not bend elbow/wrist in awkward manner to reach inside the bin. My bullets are kept on the table back and left of the dump bin, and i don't have to bend my left wrist in any way to pick up next bullet and set. If i had to bend it back or flip hand to grab a bullet, might seem tiring after a bit. I think I'd want the opening facing me. Also wonder about a slot or a few slotted holes with wing nut fasteners to let grumpy/fussy types like me slide adjust the pivot placement for placement. I do see that the bin slides on the last piece, which is nice.

Dats all I gots, and ain't never seed dis in person.

Noob!:rolleyes: I use liquid nitroglycerin. Its almost invisible. :P

Actually, the bin access angle is pretty comfy. I cant get much more of a straighter angle due to the case feeder tongue sticking out so far. You can try one if ya like. (If I can ever free up enough time to get to a match,I will bring a set with me.)

I usually grab 5-8 bullets from the bin at a time.

Edited by 1in9twist

...Actually, the bin access angle is pretty comfy. I cant get much more of a straighter angle due to the case feeder tongue sticking out so far. You can try one if ya like. (If I can ever free up enough time to get to a match,I will bring a set with me.)

Dan, I'd happily try one out as a beta tester, if you want. Come to my USPSA match the 1st Sat in Jan; no one is busy the 1st Sat in Jan. Bring a bunch of mags & ammo, my matches have high rd counts. Email or PM me for more on the match if interested. My attendance at EPS steel & IDPA is variable, I try to do some but also try to keep up with other USPSA matches & now multigun.

Ben

I recently bought the combo pack(ergo roller handle, light and double bullet tray) off of Dan's site for my LNL. Got it in over the weekend and put together this evening. Took out of box and had all installed in 5 mins. Real nice add on's. Ran 100 rounds just to see how the handle feels and I really like it. No leaning over to get the full down stroke. Was able to use standing or sitting on my usually stool. Priming each case seems so much easier.

The trays were a nice addition also. Keeps cases and bullets close.

LED light will did entry light up the inside of the cases as they pass by.

Thanks Dan for the great products.

God Bless

Got my roller handle from Dan back in November. Due to crazy holiday stuff and building my new bench, I just got it installed on the weekend.

1st thing I noticed was how much easier it feels for priming. Roller handle is great. Positioning in the full down stoke is perfect. Great product.

Thanks Dan. B)

I recently purchased the ergo handle for the LnL AP and got it set up. I like it quite a bit, but I couldn't keep it from rotating no matter how tight I torqued the jam nut. I wound up screwing the handle in until there were threads on both sides then using the included jam nut/washer on the top side and the jam nut from the original handle on the bottom side. It's solid as a rock now.