Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monica's Range Diary

monicataliani

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I did some live fire but it was really not a lot and it was for reliability purposes because of some recent trigger troubles. Tomorrow I will be shooting with a factory m&p trigger that I have only shot about 100 rounds with. I was a little concerned about that and some of the other little things from yesterday so I made sure I got to shoot a bit today to get a feel for it. I am hoping with all the adrenalin tomorrow I wont notice it! :) Im getting ready do a good cleaning of my gun and mags then run through the classifier drills in the SA book a couple times.

Yesterday I did some live fire but it was really not a lot and it was for reliability purposes because of some recent trigger troubles. Tomorrow I will be shooting with a factory m&p trigger that I have only shot about 100 rounds with. I was a little concerned about that and some of the other little things from yesterday so I made sure I got to shoot a bit today to get a feel for it. I am hoping with all the adrenalin tomorrow I wont notice it! :) Im getting ready do a good cleaning of my gun and mags then run through the classifier drills in the SA book a couple times.

so how did it go?

Today marks my first time wearing an open rig and my first open dry fire session. I am not 100% committed to this yet but thought I would give it a week and at least a Monday night match to see if it felt right! Day 1's assessment- I think I am gonna like this! Tomorrow I am going to do some real drills. Today I just spent some time learning about open guns and the equipment and how all that stuff works. I did a tiny bit with some draws and an even tinier bit with mag changes. One month until the Ohio match... the pressure is on!

Pictures woman, pictures!! Did you get an Open gun? What kind? How is the optic mounted? C'mon you're killing us, details!!

Oh, by the way, SWEAT the mag changes. IMHO, Open is a tuff division. Very competitive. HF's are higher and it can be harder to break through to the next class sometimes. You still have to find the dot and put it on the target. By some people's description it's "so easy". Not the case at all. I'm not trying to dissuade you, hell, I've been beat by everyone at some point. So, i welcome you to the "dark side". As the saying goes, " we have cookies" Just want you to be realistic in any expectations. You still have to do the work is all. Good luck and let's see that gun!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Pictures woman, pictures!! Did you get an Open gun? What kind? How is the optic mounted? C'mon you're killing us, details!!

We're actually setup for every division except Revolver. This gun is a Bedell full size in 9 major. It currently has a Cameron sidemore mount on it, but will be switched back to a standard mount tonight.

That is so cool!! Congrats!!! I've done the upright mount since I started 8 years ago. I bounced the sideways mount idea around and frankly, don't get it. I've found 17 yards is a good distance to sight in. YMMV, but that makes the occasional 50 yard shot easier. At 10 yards sighted in, some Open guns have to have the dot very low on a paper target at 50 yards. Good luck with it and post some pics if you can.

Oh, nice meeting you by the way!!

You as well.

Great minds think alike. I've been sighting in at 15 yards (range convenience) and it seems to be a happy medium.

The sideways mounts have their pluses, but overall I think I prefer the uprights.

Edited by Jonathan Taliani

Oh, by the way, SWEAT the mag changes. IMHO, Open is a tuff division. Very competitive. HF's are higher and it can be harder to break through to the next class sometimes. You still have to find the dot and put it on the target. By some people's description it's "so easy". Not the case at all. I'm not trying to dissuade you, hell, I've been beat by everyone at some point. So, i welcome you to the "dark side". As the saying goes, " we have cookies" Just want you to be realistic in any expectations. You still have to do the work is all. Good luck and let's see that gun!!

I am totally expecting it to be difficult! I have said all along I wasnt ready to play with the big boys in open! I am having a blast getting to know a new gun and learning to dry fire with it! Even if it doesnt go well I already feel like it will develop me as a shooter by learning the speed that open requires. I am really excited to see how it goes!

Dry fire yesterday I worked more on getting to know the gun. I did some stuff with transitions and started to learn how to shoot on the move with a dot.

Today I did a few mag changes to get a feel for it but really focused a decent amount of time on draws and learning how to do strong hand/weak hand. Also did section 1 of S.Andersons book.

Big boys in Open? Don't include me! I'm a Padiwan still after 8 years!! Didn't mean to make you feel like I thought you were thinking it was gonna be easy. Bad on me, not what I was going for, sorry if that's how I came across.

It will be a growing experience! I applaud your willingness to differentiate and expand your knowledge.

After 8 years, almost exclusively Open, I'm hopelessly addicted to the division. I've thought to go SS when I make Master. It will be ugly. I'd be an automatic A and behind the curve in that division. But, I think as a shooter, I'd really grow!! Kinda what you are doing and I think that is great!!

Didn't mean to make you feel like I thought you were thinking it was gonna be easy. Bad on me, not what I was going for, sorry if that's how I came across.

No! Dude! Not at all! I was just saying I agreed that open is a very difficult division. I totally know a ton of people think it is so easy because of the dot but I am totally looking at it the same way you were talking about. Some things may be easier but there is a whole lot that will be harder. You were totally fine! Promise! ;)

No! Dude! Not at all! I was just saying I agreed that open is a very difficult division. I totally know a ton of people think it is so easy because of the dot but I am totally looking at it the same way you were talking about. Some things may be easier but there is a whole lot that will be harder. You were totally fine! Promise! ;)

Totally!cheers.giflaugh.gif

Totally!cheers.giflaugh.gif

:roflol: At least we now know I use the word "totally" less in my writing than I use it in my speech! :P

Edited by monicataliani

Live fire today! Got to know what happens to my dot with recoil added into the mix. Did a lot of pull onto target and just two shots to work on dot aquisition, tracking the dot, and splits. Then did some work on head shots. Ohhhhh.... once I figure this out I think I am gonna like this a lot!!!!! :)

Like, totally.

Transplant from Socal or something?

Open will teach you to see the sights. Not really easier, you just see them in a different way as the dot will show all the little mistakes less experienced shooter do not see with iron sights. Open is not just about speed, you still have to see and make the shot. Added benefit, it will make you a better iron sight shooter since you will see more/better when you switch back.

MDA

Dry fire tonight was very little dry firing! After yesterday I realized how important each piece of the puzzle is and how different "make ready" is with an open gun. It totally made me feel unprepared that it wasnt automatic like it is with my production gun. So tonight I practiced making ready. I felt a little silly about spending an entire days dry fire on it but I settled on a step by step procedure for both loaded and unloaded starts. Then practiced them.

Remember to turn that sight off so you can turn it on for each "stage" you run through your mind. Especially the unloaded starts. Also, remember to tug on the mag after seating it. unsure.gif And keep in mind that you did pretty well last night for the first time with an Open gun. cheers.gif

Remember to turn that sight off so you can turn it on for each "stage" you run through your mind. Especially the unloaded starts. Also, remember to tug on the mag after seating it. unsure.gif And keep in mind that you did pretty well last night for the first time with an Open gun. cheers.gif

I "totally" (rofl) incorporated turning the dot on. It is step 1 for loaded or unloaded! That is why I had to work out a numbered procedure for making ready. So I dont forget something. Checking my mag is step 10! :blink: Thanks for saying I did well! I felt soooooooo (totally) out of my element that I wasnt able to shoot with the confidence I usually have. That is why I thought practicing make ready was an amazing idea because that is one more thing I can replicate and become familiar with.

Only dry fired about a half hour today. I did a couple different arrays of targets and I did a couple with my "plate rack" (made of post-its because I felt like the paper plates were too big.) I did the whole procedure each time from make ready all the way through show clear. I in some ways feel like I should be just practicing from my SA book. The other part of me feels like I am still so unfamiliar with my equipment and all the extra things that go into open that building up these procedures is time well spent. As a shooter I feel like it is easy to focus on just the shooting when we all know that this game is so much more.