Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monica's Range Diary

monicataliani

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey are you not signed up for the Ohio match yet? Need some people to squad with!

Im shooting it I just haven't sent my app in. :)

RO and you get to shoot free !!! :cheers:

Hi Larry!!! Nice to see you in my range diary!!! B)

You know me, the quiet shy type :lol:, but I follow your progress.

What is the big deal about high round count matches?

Tradition, mostly. With the ammunition and component shortage that is currently going on we have lowered the round count on our local matches. Our "normal" indoor match was usually in the neighborhood of 100 rounds. This weekend it's 67, down 33%.

In larger matches such as this sectional, another reason is match management. If you have a speed shoot followed by a big field course, that stage is guaranteed to be the bottleneck of the match. Expect a squad to be shooting and up to two more squads waiting. If all the stages have a similar round count, the match flows better. Just my .02.

BC

What is the big deal about high round count matches?

Tradition, mostly. With the ammunition and component shortage that is currently going on we have lowered the round count on our local matches. Our "normal" indoor match was usually in the neighborhood of 100 rounds. This weekend it's 67, down 33%.

In larger matches such as this sectional, another reason is match management. If you have a speed shoot followed by a big field course, that stage is guaranteed to be the bottleneck of the match. Expect a squad to be shooting and up to two more squads waiting. If all the stages have a similar round count, the match flows better. Just my .02.

BC

I've seen this done where the speed shoot stage actually had two stages in one to help reduce the bottleneck effect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well.... a couple reflections after my first major of the year....

1. I feel rusty. I also feel like I just started the season, which is really true. I haven't done a whole lot of shooting this year thanks to cold weather and the ammo shortage. I felt like I was hit or miss (pun completely and totally intended!!!! ;) ) I made a LOT of little mistakes that I feel would have been ironed out if I had more matches under my belt this season.

2. I need to dry fire. I know I used to be "Miss Dry Fire Every Day" but once I put my gun down at the end of fall last season, it sat collecting dust. I feel like I lost a lot of ground having not touched it until recently.

3. Dots are not infallible. I trashed the classifier at the match because I transitioned right into setting sunlight and couldn't see a darn thing. Hmmmm..... something to think about.

4. I love shooters!!! I met so many of you guys and girls out there that I have been talking to on BE and FB for the longest time. I <3 you all! You rock! :wub:

Hope you all had a great time at the match!!!

Thanks for RO'ing on the helicopter stage. It was entertaining!

BC

Thanks Bill! I had sooooooo much fun being there the whole time and getting to meet so many shooters!

You pulled a respectable place at the match for "being rusty". See ya in July @ Riley.

Thanks! I feel like if I would have been grooved in then I wouldn't have panicked on the classifier when my dot was reflecting the sun. I would have interacted with what was happening in a logical way, not freaked out and missed twice. If I would have thought, I could have taken a step over so the sun wasn't at that angle any more, or re-indexed on the target to make sure it was properly aimed and then taken two "blind" but slower shots to ensure I got my hits.

Thanks for RO'ing on the helicopter stage. It was entertaining!

BC

Thanks Bill! I had sooooooo much fun being there the whole time and getting to meet so many shooters!

You pulled a respectable place at the match for "being rusty". See ya in July @ Riley.

Thanks! I feel like if I would have been grooved in then I wouldn't have panicked on the classifier when my dot was reflecting the sun. I would have interacted with what was happening in a logical way, not freaked out and missed twice. If I would have thought, I could have taken a step over so the sun wasn't at that angle any more, or re-indexed on the target to make sure it was properly aimed and then taken two "blind" but slower shots to ensure I got my hits.

or shot "Limmy" :)

Paul..... LOL!!!! Yeah, iron sights would have help tremendously when my dot was washed out.... :)

On a side note, I already have snacks and sodas ready in the fridge and am getting the stuff out to make some popcorn. Can't wait to watch the season primiere of Top Shot All Stars tonight!!!!!!!!!

Cut the soda's and drink ice tea (unsweetened) and air pop the corn, sprinkle with salt then enjoy!!!

I'm hungry, guess I'll have an apple.

Don't be fooled!!!! I am a health food junkie too!!!! :cheers: I love love love homemade iced tea and popcorn. Once in a while I will have a soda (diet- although I don't know which is worse, boatloads of sugar or chemicals.)

The chemicals, most artificial sweetners are a neurotoxin. So I stick with ice tea and iced green tea. I quit drinking soda after I crushed my middle finger (left hand), it was healing slow so I researched and found out that the carbonation in soda interfered with the bodies ability to utilize calcium. (Orthopedic surgeon did a wonderful job of repair on the finger :D .)

I am experiencing an interesting phenomenon. Sometimes (usually when I am shooting fast close up targets) it feels like my trigger will not move. It is usually on the follow up shot. I have experienced "trigger freeze" before (when you WANT to pull the trigger but can't make your body to do it) but this is different. It has only been happening in the last month or so. I thought I was cured of my trigger freeze. Now I don't know if I am having some new form of it (where I think I am doing what I want, but my hands are not actually doing it,) if I am not letting the trigger reset, or if my gun is broken. Has anyone experienced this or have any insight? :)

I'd first take a look at your grip. Are you clenching your gun with your strong hand. Its probably something you picked up from the Limited Gun. I noticed the same thing this year after my short run with a SS gun.

Relaxing your strong hand will allow your trigger finger to work better. Things under tension don't seem to work as good.

Edited by CB45

• 1 month later...

Okay... on a mission. I used to be obsessed with dry fire. Now... not so much. In fact despite having some really great new books (got the Seeklander and Stoeger/Hirshberg books- they are both well written and very helpful) I have not dry fired more than a handful of times. Well maybe more than that but not much... I can not make myself. I used to love it and I would have a lot of fun trying to beat my old par times. Now, I seriously think about dry fire and then think I would rather go to the dentist. What are some things you guys use for motivation?

Edited to add...

I should probably elaborate on this because it sounds kinda like straight up laziness and that is totally not what it is (those of you who have met me know that I am totally not the lazy type.) :)

Dryfire is incredibly frustrating to me now. :angry2: I think it is a totally critical thing to get used to your gun, or when I switch from iron sights to a dot and back it is really good. I love to live fire practice. And I am really competitive. What has been the major turn-off is that while I know that I can make gains (draws, reloads, sight acquisition...) I feel like it is cheating. I feel like even though I say that it was "an alpha shot" I feel like there is zero accountability even when you are "calling shots" you don't know for sure that if you were actually shooting that it would have went right where you were aiming. All kinds of things happen between putting the sights on a target and a bullet going into the target that affect whether or not it is a hit. We all know that. So what if I can fling around the gun and pull the trigger in a hurry between two beeps. That doesn't mean that if there was a round in the chamber that it would hit anything. I feel like I am kidding myself when I dry fire now. I know that I can dry fire a bill drill all day long but once you put that loaded mag in there, there is no way that I can lay on the trigger like that and hit anything consistently because of recoil. I just feel like dry fire isn't good enough any more. I want to shoot real rounds! Not mind bullets!!! :P But we all know that we can't just go out and shoot 200 rounds a day.

I guess what my original post should have said is how do you guys keep from getting annoyed that your practice isn't good enough because it will never be the real thing?

Edited by monicataliani