Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Table start and "extra" ammo

Sarge

We shot CM09-03 Oh No at a local match yesterday. Very simple, shoot six for time then reload if needed and shoot six for time again. WSB stated "extra" ammo had to be on table. Several questions came up:

Since it is a two string classifier with no reloads on the clock, what is the reasoning behind having extra ammo on the table? Is it just to trick somebody into loading from the belt and earning a procedural?

What constitutes Extra ammo? Just the ammo needed to shoot string two? If thats the case could a shooter have other mags in his pouches? One shooter put his extra ammo on the table that he would need for string two but had two other mags on his belt. These were never going to be needed for the classifier so we(I) pretty much figured they did not qualify as extra ammo.

Generally a WSB will say "All" ammo and that is pretty self explanatory. No ammo on your person. Then another question hit me:

If the WSB says all ammo must be on the table doesn't that mean all ammo ie, even what is in your range bag? Should WSB say all ammo used to complete this COF?

It dawned on me that every time there is a rules question about a WSB the general consensus is to follow it to the letter. Please don't say that common sense applies because that reply has been shot down numerous times during rules discussions.

OK so sight.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We hadn't ran that one before. I think it came in with the wave of classifiers that needed some tweaking in their wording.

Probably a good idea to suggest some better wording and send it off to NRIO. (Because you are right...I can't see where the ammo really matters.)

Either you're misremembering or someone misread the briefing.

CM09-03:

Both strings will start with gun on the table. All ammo for the stage will be on the table. Gun is not to be propped up in any manner. All rounds must be fired from within the shooting area.

Not sure why the designer wanted ammo on the table. Maybe he feels snatching mags off a table is an essential shooting skill. :blink:

Edited by Gary Johnson

I think it's OK, given that it's a table start. It's not uncommon to have stages where gun and all ammo for the stage must be placed on a table. I can see where a tweak in the wording would reduce the huh? factor, but it's not that bad.

Not sure why the designer wanted ammo on the table. Maybe he feels snatching mags off a table is an essential shooting skill. :blink:

Then he/she would have had to design a stage that actually tested that.

This one is a loaded gun...6 rounds per string...Virginia count. Snatching a mag from the table never really comes up.

(Aaaah...I see...Kevin's first line of his post made it sound like there was a reload on the clock.)

Then he/she would have had to design a stage that actually tested that.

This one is a loaded gun...6 rounds per string...Virginia count. Snatching a mag from the table never really comes up.

(Aaaah...I see...Kevin's first line of his post made it sound like there was a reload on the clock.)

Not really Flex. My first sentence said "Very simple, shoot six for time then reload if needed and shoot six for time again"

And no, there was no snatching involved. laugh.gif

Either you're misremembering or someone misread the briefing.

CM09-03:

Both strings will start with gun on the table. All ammo for the stage will be on the table. Gun is not to be propped up in any manner. All rounds must be fired from within the shooting area.

Neither is the case. If your info is accurate then the WSB was miswritten. I read it and it did not say the above.

Kevin's point is...the wsb could say the rest of your ammo gas to be in your car. Since it has no real effect on how you shoot the stage

And in that case, Kevin's point would be waaaay out in left field.

Yeah, it could say that....but it didn't. The WSB clearly stated, "All ammo for the stage will be on the table."

It said nothing about all ammo to be used throughout the match, "in or out of the competitors car".

Trying to equate that to ammo anywhere on the range is....a stretch.

I think the point is; "what's the point?"

It's a loaded start. Why does it matter where the ammo is?

Isn't that arguing intent? Doesn't everyone usually agree that intent of the stage designer is meaningless once the stage hits the ground?

I'm arguing the WSB.It matters (only) because the WSB says so.

OK, but what we are trying to figure out is, what is the legality of running a shooter who does not meet the WSB 100%?

Here is the scenario: We had a Prod. shooter who walked up, made ready, laid his loaded gun on the table (11 rds max.), and assumed the start position. So I (as the RO) told him this is a 6-shot, 2-string classifier, so seeing as you will need to shoot 12 shots total, you should put your other mags on the table. He then laid 1 more mag on the table, and since I was on the shooters right-hand side (clipboard RO on his left) assumed that would be sufficient, and started him. He shot the stage as per the WSB, but after ULASC, the clipboard RO (Kevin) said "he still had 2 more mags on his belt. Is that a problem?"

So I said well, technically, as the RO, I should NOT have started him until he complied with the WSB 100%.

So with that being my fault, it would be a Re-shoot ...... or would it? :unsure:

The WSB we had present at the range that day didn't say "ALL AMMO ON TABLE". It just said "EXTRA AMMO ON TABLE."

So at this point, my questions are as follows:

1. Is it the RO, or Clipboard RO's, responsibility to halt the shooter until he complies with the WSB?

2. If it is, and they allowed the shooter to start the COF, is it a Re-shoot?

3. If not, is it a procedural if the shooter uses a mag from their belt (per Rule 10.2.2)

Edited by Chris Keen

Chris,

I'd love to offer an opinion on this but as you said, the WSB as presented at the match was incorrect. What did it actually say?

Unless the WSB at the match said, "All ammo for the stage will be on the table", aren't we chasing a moving target?

Chris,

I'd love to offer an opinion on this but as you said, the WSB as presented at the match was incorrect. What did it actually say?

Unless the WSB at the match said, "All ammo for the stage will be on the table", aren't we chasing a moving target?

Obviously, they have revised the WSB to make it much clearer. But what exactly is the difference between ALL, and EXTRA? If the shooter had ammo on his belt, then that ammo was clearly in play during the stage, simply from the fact that he "could have" used it.

Edited by Chris Keen

Chris,

Obviously, they have revised the WSB to make it much clearer. But what exactly is the difference between ALL, and EXTRA? If the shooter had ammo on his belt, then that ammo was clearly in play during the stage, simply from the fat that he could have used it.

Yeah, I would guess that someone got hold of an older version prior to the match.

That stuff/she-ite happens.

Don't post it as a Classifier to USPSA and move on.

[shrug]

I can't speak for Kevin, but what I would like to know about the rules, is should I have halted the shooter until compliance, and if so, is it a Re-shoot?

OK, if you want to get that exact....what exactly were the parameters stated by the WSB of the stage you shot at that match? The particulars obviously can't be based upon 09-03 since you said those parameters weren't presented and thus weren't followed.

Did the stage you shot specify where the ammo should be during the Course of Fire?

Which part of the WSB is the overriding part. That looks to be the same WSB as the one I read off the USPSA site. Under start position it say "extra ammo" but under procedure it says "all ammo for the stage". Which part take precedence?

Also what does all ammo for the stage mean? Does that mean all ammo required to shoo the stage or all ammo that the shooter would have access to during the stage?