Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dummy Rounds?

KungFuNerd

I've been using A Zoom Red Snap Caps (metal) for a while just for Dry Firing on my Keltecs (they don't like Dryfire without Snaps),

the A Zooms tend to get setback and teh crimps flare out and started to get jammed in my Glock.

I just got some ST Action Pro dummy rounds (Orange Tip plastic with Metal Casings).

Hopefully these will hold up.

What are you guys using?

I'm doing LOTS of reps of Slide Lock Reloads (Slingshotting) and Tap/Rack/Bang/Drop mag/Clear/Reload/Rack sequences.

Run brass and bullets through the press without primer or powder. Then be positive I'm using the right ones when I practice.

One of the old shooting instructors I've taken classes from does what leewhiskey recommends. He also drilled a hole in the side of the brass so he's sure it's the dummy rounds. I use the Tipton dummy rounds, works so far. I also have A-Zooms for my 12 gauge, but my Rem 870 tends to strip the rim of the dummy rounds.

Run brass and bullets through the press without primer or powder. Then be positive I'm using the right ones when I practice.

One of the old shooting instructors I've taken classes from does what leewhiskey recommends. He also drilled a hole in the side of the brass so he's sure it's the dummy rounds. I use the Tipton dummy rounds, works so far. I also have A-Zooms for my 12 gauge, but my Rem 870 tends to strip the rim of the dummy rounds.

I do the same thing. I never reload anything but plain brass, so I loaded about 20 powder and primer-less rounds in nickel-plated brass to tell them apart. I keep them in their own box on a designated shelf.

Edited by MrP

I also did some this way except that I drilled 2 holes in each case so no matter which way the rounds is loaded into the mag a hole will be visible. I tried some with a piece of eraser glued into the primer pocket worked o.k. Then used spent primers on some cases but seated the primer deeper. They all worked o.k.

I just seated bullets on fired rounds. I use lee dies so I moved the de-capping pin up which allowed me size the case without removing the spent primer then I seated and crimped new bullets. I will tell you after a few months they get really beat up. They weigh almost the same as real rounds which is nice.

reload without primer or powder drill holes or mark sides with RED sharpie to designate as INERT and keep separated from all others.

cut erasers to fit primer pockets friction fit and shave with razor so they are flush.. keep on snapping..

John

• 2 weeks later...

Using nickel plated brass, I left spent primers in my dummy rounds, resized and seated bullets. I never make live rounds with nickel plated brass.

That is really the best way.

I made some dummy shotgun rounds for a guy not that long ago using the Rem Nitro27 hulls. They are gold and not what he shoots.

I have the same problem in my Glocks, using homemade dummy rounds. The case mouth gets beat up with repeated dry firing.

So far, I find that just running the dummy round back through the crimp station on my press irons out the problem. Haven't noticed any problems like brass shavings or splits.

The dummy rounds have the bullets done up with bright red marker, are all kept together, and are only used in a live ammo free area.

I do the same thing. I never reload anything but plain brass, so I loaded about 20 powder and primer-less rounds in nickel-plated brass to tell them apart. I keep them in their own box on a designated shelf.

I do the same thing ... Dummy rounds are the only nickel brass ... Live rounds are not allowed in the room where the dummy's are stored and I dry fire.

If it makes you feel safer you might as well drill some holes too...

Safety first!