Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Target Alternatives?

ardo

We do weekly IPSC 'mini-matches' at our club. Our range management does not allow steel targets. So we are limited to practicing on paper only, i.e. no plates or poppers.

Has anyone come across (or made themselves) a reactive target out of plastic that would be an alternative to steel? Plastic has to be non-shatter so that we don't make a mess.

Newbold (and probably others by now-- I think I saw some non-Newbold ones in the store not long ago) makes plastic targets. They get chewed up over time, especially with JHPs, but do ok for a while.

Ted Bonnet and AASA have been experimenting with Core-Plast (the corrugated plastic sign material) for targets, but I think they aren't knock-down.

Thanks but we are looking for reactive targets that get knocked down. I do use 6" white paper plates, stapling 5-6 in a row to a cardboard sheet, to do a simulation of steel plates, but this is not the same as shooting the real thing.

While shooting reactive targets are fun, but I have a question: why exactly do you want to use them? Are you wanting to see something fall after you shoot it? During matches, we should not be waiting to hear the ding or see the plate/popper fall before moving on. The goal should be to know how the shot was and move on before we have to wait for the reaction of the target to occur. I personally like the idea of the paper plates for practice as it forces me to watch my sights more and call my shots. Then I can walk down range and see if I was right. Couple of white pasters and off we go again.

Just an opinion.

While shooting reactive targets are fun, but I have a question: why exactly do you want to use them? Are you wanting to see something fall after you shoot it? During matches, we should not be waiting to hear the ding or see the plate/popper fall before moving on. The goal should be to know how the shot was and move on before we have to wait for the reaction of the target to occur. I personally like the idea of the paper plates for practice as it forces me to watch my sights more and call my shots. Then I can walk down range and see if I was right. Couple of white pasters and off we go again.

Just an opinion.

Yes, I agree, calling shots is the way to do it. However, most of our club night participants (myself included) are new to IPSC. I call my shots about 70% of the time, others may do even less. We used the Newbold mini-popper a couple of weeks ago, and you should have seen how many people emptied a whole mag trying to bring it down at 15-20yrds, and were unable to do so.

We get nervious having to shoot poppers and steel plates in a real match because we have no exposure to these at any other time. Getting to experience something similar to the real thing would calm those fears.

We cut out the front and back of plastic 55 gallon barrels. Slide the mini poppers inside of them, so when the bullet hits the popper, the splatter is 99% contained within the barrel and doesnt damage the walls or ceiling in the range. The popper is able to fall down sticking out the back.

Maybe this would be allowable at your range.. ?

Short of designing a full steel shroud to go around the popper, the barrel is the next best option. I dont think you will get good use, or function out of any synthetic/reactive target.

Thank you, a plastic drum shrould is a brilliant idea! Not sure if the club will allow it, but I will ask.

Still, I'm going to cut some plates and mini-poppers out of coroplast, and give them a try.

Newbold (and probably others by now-- I think I saw some non-Newbold ones in the store not long ago) makes plastic targets. They get chewed up over time, especially with JHPs, but do ok for a while.

Ted Bonnet and AASA have been experimenting with Core-Plast (the corrugated plastic sign material) for targets, but I think they aren't knock-down.

I recycle election signs as targets. They last a whole lot longer than paper. Plus with elections happening all the time for one issue or another I usually have a nice stock.

Wood poppers and plates.

They work about as good as steel, at least for awhile.

And no bounce back.

Just have extras.

And a broom and pan to pick up the pieces.

Actually, if they're made thick enough, they will last a long time.

Edited by g.willikers

Thanks. I saw some wicked swingers and disappearing targets at another indoor club: a friend invited me for their club night last Friday. I'll try to come up with something similar.

As for the poppers, I routed a classic one out of coroplast and will try it tomorrow. If this works, I will make a template for my router so that I can make a bunch of these quickly.

I have no idea if this would work for you or not, but there was a thread a while back along a similar line. One suggestion was to strap a piece of rubber to the front of the popper which would keep the shrapnel down.

My club uses Newbold knock down plates indoors which work quite well. They also make less expensive plates of different sizes that have a "handle" so you can hang them. They don't knock down but you can't miss it when you hit them.

newbold plates, also letargets, non reactive paper plates wouldnt be legal for USPSA, 4.1.1,

Whats funny is the letter of the rule basically just says poppers and gives a dimension but no mention of material, while "plates" are specifically called metal. I dont see an issue with a approved shape and size reactive non metal plate that still falls over. But using a paper plate and scoring a hole is probably pushing it.

We started using plastic barrels several years back at out indoor range. We cut the front and back out to fit the steal. We cut walls out of other barrels to re-inforced the wall of the barrels we are using for the steal. The set we have now have been in use for about nine to ten months. We also use these to activate other moving targets. They work great.

Edited by Bouttime

newbold plates, also letargets, non reactive paper plates wouldnt be legal for USPSA, 4.1.1,

Whats funny is the letter of the rule basically just says poppers and gives a dimension but no mention of material, while "plates" are specifically called metal. I dont see an issue with a approved shape and size reactive non metal plate that still falls over. But using a paper plate and scoring a hole is probably pushing it.

For club matches (which are really just a practice), we are not concerned with rules, just having something resembling the real steel target would do. Paper plates are used only when I do my own drills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here we are not allowed to shoot ANYTHING that resembles a human being. USPSA targets are therefore not allowed - only metric IPSC targets. If I were to bring an election sign to the range and punch holes in my least favorite politician, I would be banned from the club in a heart beat!! And since club membership is compulsory for owning a hand gun, I would loose my guns as well. So for me, only paper plates.....

• 3 weeks later...

Here we are not allowed to shoot ANYTHING that resembles a human being. USPSA targets are therefore not allowed - only metric IPSC targets. If I were to bring an election sign to the range and punch holes in my least favorite politician, I would be banned from the club in a heart beat!! And since club membership is compulsory for owning a hand gun, I would loose my guns as well. So for me, only paper plates.....

I am sorry for you and where ever it is that you reside, but commend you for loving guns and shooting enough to jump through the hoops imposed upon you.

I still shoot a lot of paper plates just because they're so darn convenient.