Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm beginning to stovepipe

Foxbat

This my new primary open gun, it has been totally reliable from the start of season, but last two matches I had one and two stove pipe jams. Also had some during practice - but all only very recently, as if something is beginning to wear out.

What to look at? Primary suspect? Gun has vertical mount. Like I said, so far has been totally reliable through many thousands of rounds, both mixed and Win brass. These failures all happened with match Win brassed ammo. I am thinking about switching to Federal brass, but still, would like to understand the cause first.

I usually start with ammo, is your OAL the same? did the powder bar shift and your not getting as much grains? is your brass going bad?(shot out?) Then check your extractor see if anything chipped, then springs so on so forth. I've had the powder bar thing happen to me before and the bullets weren't getting enough oomf to cycle the slide completely to eject.

Another place to look at is the extractor. see if it's tensioned properly, also I had a problem with stovepipes recently with my 38SC and the cause was the extractor claw was a hair longer and started hitting the barrel. you can see very slight peening on both surfaces.

Start simple, have you cleaned the extractor and tunnel? I agree with others that something changed but if the gun ran all season I would start on the easy side.

And see where the spent brass is falling. They should be about the same distance in the same area. If your brass ejection is erratic--then it is probably the extractor. Is the extractor an AFTEC?

is it a stove pipe for sure? my 9 were ejecting into the mount then bounced back in the slide appearing like a stovepipe. lowering the point on my ejector fixed the problem.

It very well could be a bounce, but the point is the gun used to be free from it.

I know it's a 9mm but my 38SC started doing the same thing, working fine one day then all of a sudden the empty cases would get caught between the breech face and the barrel hood. Saw it was striking the scope mount.

Changed the extractor springs, no luck. Changed the ejector, no luck. Finally changed the extractor and firing pin stop and now working like a champ.

Good luck with your gun.

I know it's a 9mm but my 38SC started doing the same thing, working fine one day then all of a sudden the empty cases would get caught between the breech face and the barrel hood. Saw it was striking the scope mount.

Changed the extractor springs, no luck. Changed the ejector, no luck. Finally changed the extractor and firing pin stop and now working like a champ.

Good luck with your gun.

thats interesting, not to hijack the thread but, I wonder if you would have had that problem if you used a standard extractor as opposed to the aftec.

I finally got my hands on new Aftec springs (should have kepta them in a more convenient location!) and compared them to the ones in the gun - they are almost 1mm longer!

So putting them in, interesting to see if this will cure the issue.

Since replacing springs went through about 400 rounds without any issues.

Congrats. Looks like I finally got one right. Mine has started stovepiping, too. Could be it's just dirty, but it probably needs new springs in the Aftec.

If it's a failure to feed after a few thousand rounds, 95% chance it's the recoil spring or hammer spring. The extractor would be much more likely to be the cause if the gun or extractor was new, not well used. Odds are when his extractor starts to wear out, he'll get failures to eject.

Foxbat - To keep that AFTEC doing its job you need to clean the extractor tunnel every 1-2k depending on if you use Dykem on your brass and the powder that you are using. Using AA#7 its more often than Silhouette etc. When the extractor tunnel gets dirty you will notice during make ready that the slide seems a little sluggish closing, this is caused by the round having trouble walking up the breech face due to extra extractor tension, followed by you guessed it stove pipes.

I change the AFTEC springs about every 24,000 rounds or once a year, and carry a spare set in the range bag along with a spare cap.

Since I changed the springs, the gun has been running 100%. As I mentioned, the old ones were quite a bit shorter after about 10K rounds. I regularly clean the extractor channel and its springs.

• 2 months later...

During practice sessions, see if all the jams are

occurring from a single magazine - I've had that

problem - it was the mag spring that needed changing..

Jack

This is also my problem and a can get my hands on a longer spring.

Also i'know that my brass is hitting the mount.

How can i get the brass ejecting flatter?

• 2 weeks later...

During practice sessions, see if all the jams are

occurring from a single magazine - I've had that

problem - it was the mag spring that needed changing..

Jack

This is also my problem and a can get my hands on a longer spring.

Also i'know that my brass is hitting the mount.

How can i get the brass ejecting flatter?

More spring pressure is not helping.

Still its only with my 170mm magazine.

My friend can shoot the mag without a single jam, and i have the same problem with his 170 mag, that has never faild min his gun.

Somebody any sugestions????

Start to go crazy over this thing!!

This my new primary open gun, it has been totally reliable from the start of season, but last two matches I had stove pipe jams.

Foxbat, your friend doesn't have jams with his or your 170 mm mags in Your gun or in His gun?

You're having jams with your and his 170 mm mags in Your gun or in His gun?

Whose ammo are the two of you using? Is he using his ammo with your mag in his gun, and you

are using your ammo in your mag in your gun?

And you have NO problems with your ammo in your gun with 140 mm mags?

Jack