Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standards Exercise dictating stance

Skydiver

After seeing last night's "Top Shot", what's to prevent a course designer from setting up a standards exercise requiring that shots be fired from the hip? Or does that simply go against Principle #7 in the rulebook about specialized techniques?

If it does go against principle #7, why do course designers still make standards exercises that require shooting from the prone position, kneeling, or sitting? Is shooting prone, kneeling, and sitting considered practical skills, but point shooting from the hip is not?

This isn't meant to be argumentative, but just trying to get the sense of the borders between practical vs specialized.

Edited by Skydiver

After seeing last night's "Top Shot", what's to prevent a course designer from setting up a standards exercise requiring that shots be fired from the hip? Or does that simply go against Principle #7 in the rulebook about specialized techniques?

If it does go against principle #7, why do course designers still make standards exercises that require shooting from the prone position, kneeling, or sitting? Is shooting prone, kneeling, and sitting considered practical skills, but point shooting from the hip is not?

This isn't meant to be argumentative, but just trying to get the sense of the borders between practical vs specialized.

Kneeling, prone, and sitting all still allow for freestyle shooting....

From the hip does not.....

1.1.5.2 Standard Exercises and Classifiers may include mandatory reloads and may dictate a shooting position, location or stance.

A wacky WSB: "String 1: Engage T1-T3 with strong hand only in a bull's eye stance. String 2: Engage T1-T3 freestyle. String 3: Engage T1-T3 in a Gunman's crouch. String 4: Engage T1-T3 in a Standing Tall stance."

http://www.bobtuley.com/pointshooting.htm

jelly_jordan.jpg

Completely illegal, or legal but just old fashioned like shooting from box to box.

I've never shot an open gun from the hip, but I have done some shooting from just above the hip using an "imminent danger" postion with my Glock 32C. I can be done safely, but you have to utilized about a 1/4 cant to the right, kind of a "modified outboard quarter homie" stule. Believe me, forget the outbaord cant and it eye opening (or closing).