Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need suggestions for 55gr bulk

FishingFool

Next month I'm going into reloading overdrive. I'm setup for the heavier 77gr precision stuff on a single stage but I plan to use my dillion 550 for 55 gr practice/local match ammo. I'm running an 18" intermediate length and just want a clean burning recipe thats cheap and reliable. I was thinking winchester or hornady 55gr but am a little lost on the powder choice. Locally I can get wolf small rifle primers for a decent price.

Thanks

FF

Next month I'm going into reloading overdrive. I'm setup for the heavier 77gr precision stuff on a single stage but I plan to use my dillion 550 for 55 gr practice/local match ammo. I'm running an 18" intermediate length and just want a clean burning recipe thats cheap and reliable. I was thinking winchester or hornady 55gr but am a little lost on the powder choice. Locally I can get wolf small rifle primers for a decent price.

Thanks

FF

I'm also in research phase of loading .223 55 gr and the big 3 I keep hearing about is Varget, AR Comp, and H335. I'm going with the H335 and going to see how it works.

I've had great luck with AA2230 and W748 - of the two, I prefer AA2230 due to superior metering. I use them both for 55gr and 69gr loads with good results.

ETA: Have also had great results with the Montana Gold 55gr bullets - they're the cheapest I've been able to find when buying in bulk.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I'm using varmint nightmare soft points, which everyone seems to think are hornady blems.

Tried varget, which between the superchunky metering and compressed loads was more than a bit variable on velocity. Also very blasty.

Currently trying tac. I'm getting higher velocities and better accuracy. It also seems to be operating the comp better. I'm batch reloading and it flows nicely, which cuts down on the powder charge time a LOT.

Horandy 55 FMJBT's, Ramshot TAC and Wolf SRM's

Yeah, you could pick a cheaper powder but Horandy 55's an TAC is a sweet load.

+1

I use CCI primers otherwise the same load for 90% of my 3 GUN shooting.

I use Winchester 55gr FMJ for a cheaper load (10.99/100 when on sale at cabelas)

RAMSHOT TAC, meter well, cheap.

David E.

+1

I use Winchester 55gr FMJ for a cheaper load (10.99/100 when on sale at cabelas)

David E.

David, those on Sale Winchester 55gr FMJ's your buying are $101/K, get some friends together and buy from Wideners Horandy 55 FMJBT W/C for $429.97 / 6000 shipped.... that's $71.66 a thousand.

+1

David E.

David, those on Sale Winchester 55gr FMJ's your buying are $101/K, get some friends together and buy from Wideners Horandy 55 FMJBT W/C for $429.97 / 6000 shipped.... that's $71.66 a thousand.

Thats a nice price! I may have to do that.

The Hornady bulk 55gr FMJBT are the best 55gr projectile out there IMHO. I load them over WW748 using WW SR primers. Load data for 748 is 26.5 to 27.5 grains (you need to work it up in your rife) with OAL at 2.235"

Shoots MOA or better in all my AR's

Please use magnum primers in an AR, regardless of what you choose. Slam fires are a remote possibility, but still a serious concern that you can easily address by choosing magnum primers.

Been using standard WW SR primers in AR's for over 25 years without a single slam-fire. Don't know anyone else who has ever had a single slam-fire with standard SR primers in AR's either, ever!

Not a worrisome issue at all IMHO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...