Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

para major 9

oz1

Does anyone make proper mag followers or functioning mags for para 9 major. After spending over 2 grand 1 still have a single shot pistol. Do the 9 mm mags need spacer whims in front? If down loaded from 18 to about 12 then they work. Any ideas?

You can get them from shooters connection or speed shooter international.

Either steel Joey Hardy or HSmith spacers or the plastic Arredondo spacers.

But I think the spacers some people are talking about are for STI mags. The shape is slightly different but it should work in your para mags.

Does anyone make proper mag followers or functioning mags for para 9 major. After spending over 2 grand 1 still have a single shot pistol. Do the 9 mm mags need spacer whims in front? If down loaded from 18 to about 12 then they work. Any ideas?

can you describe the problem in detail so we might be able to diagnose the problem?

I have a LimCat RazorCat built on a Para frame in 9mm major. I am using Para 9mm mag tubes, Dawson basepads, stock para followers,with STI/SVI Wolff springs. I am also running Arredondo base pad inserts (the one with the fingers on each side). My rounds are 1.155 OAL with 124 Montana Gold JHPs. These feed reliably with 21 rounds in a 140mm mag in my gun. I hope this helps....

Z

STI spacers will not work in a para mag without fitting. with that being said buy the plastic ones this way you can trim them with a razor. after i fit the spacer in the para tube, i fit grams (for STI) springs and followers, usually just takes a little filing on the outside of the follower to work smoothly. the mags are 21 rounds each so i didnt bother with base bads except on my big stick and that has a grams 3mm, which just takes some force to get on and off.

or convert the gun to take STI mags and avoid the problem all together

I have a Para 9mm major I built, and it runs best on the stock Para magazines. P18 Para mags, Dawson bases with the Arredondo inserts for Para, Para stock followers, and ISMI Para springs. The stock Para springs stink - that was a major improvement when I went to the ISMI. And you NEED the Arredondo Para inserts to run the mags with the Dawson bases.

I can get 22 in them, but they need to be inserted with the slide locked back as they don't load. I can load/reload with 21.

I have a 170mm STI mag that I modified the release slot to make it higher and work with the Para mag release, but it doesn't run 100%. The STI mags hold the round flatter than the Para mags, so they don't "ramp" into the chamber as smooth and will bind from time to time, especially when loaded to 27 rounds.

My gun was also having some failures to go into battery with rounds at 1.170" OAL and HP bullets, so I opened up my feed ramp a little and shortened the rounds to 1.155" OAL and it is running better now. I plan on moving to round nose bullets and think that will resolve the issue for good.

Here are a couple of pictures of my RazorCat built on a Para frame. Johnny built this gun for a friend of mine, who latter sold it to me. These pictures are not very good. The gun works great, it is a bit heavier than LimCats built on STI/SVI frames. The gun now has a DeltaPoint instead of the STS that is in the pictures.

Thanks...Z

post-5599-0-70256200-1316665864_thumb.jp

post-5599-0-03985700-1316665915_thumb.jp

Edited by Zebraman

The gun and mags are para ord. The problem is the magazines when full sound like a box of bolts when you shake them. The top round has no support from below. So when the slide hits the round it plows down and into the feed ramp. I have several para magazines they have two differently shaped followers. Some on the front edge they round down. Others slant slightly upward all the way to the front of the magazine. I am already loading long w Montana gold 124s , just wondering if some of you use spacers in the front of your magazines to keep bullets lined up better without getting loose in the Magazine. Which are the best followers for para magazines? Just went through this with my SV and had six new mags that followers would not come up to top of magazine reliably. Bought Forams. Followers and springs a MOTO tool to reileve metal , and now they work fine. Grams said he did not make followers for para mags yet.

it almost sounds like you have 38 Super mags and not 9mm. the 38 Super mags will have a gap between the two top rounds when fully loaded with 9mm rounds while the 9mm mags will not. it's the gap that is responsible for nosedive. check here for a distinction between the two types: http://38super.net/Pages/Para%20Magazines.html

i've found the para ordnance followers to be best all around for the para mags, but that does not mean that other followers won't work or won't fix some issues that occur with factory followers. but sometimes the problem can be non-factory followers.

I was led to believe that para stopped making their 9mm mags and just make the 38 super mags. so when someone buys a 9mm they come with 38 super mags. I have not had that confirmed by para however.

once again all the trouble is why i converted mine to take STI mags. plus if a mag goes down at a match their are plenty of people willing to let you borrow a mag. not a lot of them have a para 9mm mag though. now my para is a backup open gun to an STI, all the more reason to have it take STI mags because now I dont have to carry two sets. that might not be a bg deal locally but it adds up when traveling

I was led to believe that para stopped making their 9mm mags and just make the 38 super mags. so when someone buys a 9mm they come with 38 super mags. I have not had that confirmed by para however.

once again all the trouble is why i converted mine to take STI mags. plus if a mag goes down at a match their are plenty of people willing to let you borrow a mag. not a lot of them have a para 9mm mag though. now my para is a backup open gun to an STI, all the more reason to have it take STI mags because now I dont have to carry two sets. that might not be a bg deal locally but it adds up when traveling

the 9mm mags are still on their website. it would be crazy for them to stop making something proven to work.

Superdude

Thank you for the very informative response. Very much appreciated. Two of my mags are new para 9mm. They have the rounded follower and the long crease. Four others must be 38 super bodies. Funny but three of the super mags have followers with the same shape as the .45 follower in the picture.

Does it sound like a can of rocks when completely full, partially full etc? My Para mags have a certain capacity, around half-full where there is a tiny bit of movement in the rounds, but they run fine. If the base inserts are not the correct Para ones the follower will get stuck under the formed ribs in the mag tube relieving all tension on the stack and really screwing things up. These seems to be more in-line with what you are describing.