Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for a GPS Unit

I have a TomTom that I use from time to time when driving to unfamiliar locations. Works great but I've found out the hard way that you have to keep the maps fairly up to date to avoid problems with new or altered roads. Subscriptions are not that much anymore, but I hate continuing to spend money for updates to an old system when new ones often come with lifetime free maps. So, before I buy another map update for mine, I'm looking at upgrading.

Currently, yearly updates are around $50 and there are units with lifetime maps for about $100, so upgrading is a no-brainer. My needs are simple. I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles like live traffic updates or weather reports or colored teeth or back massages (although that would be nice). I do want it tell me what road I'm about to turn onto and not just say turn right.

The two main choices seem to be TomTom and Garmin, but there are dozens of models of each with very little difference that I can see (no idea why except to annoy me).

Suggestions?

I had to buy one for making deliveries and have become hooked on it. I got a Garmin 1350 maybe? Not a lot of extra stuff but it did come with free lifetime updates. I bought it at radio shack on sale for about $130. If I recall the lifetime updates is around $85 it's self.

One feature to look for is the ability to do waypoints. Not all models within a specific manufacturer will have the ability. I have a TomTom and love it, but mine doesn't have Waypoints, and I didn't realize until well after I bought it.

Waypoint - a location on your journey where you want to travel through without stopping

For instance, when driving to the FL Open this year, I wanted to avoid Daytona at all costs because it was the same weekend as the 500. It would have been nice to plot a course with waypoints when I left to get there. Since I didn't, I had to pick spots as waypoints, save them as favorites, and every time I got to one of them, I had to change the route to the next favorite. PITA.

I believe the XL340 series from TomTom has the ability. that would be my recommendation. Includes spoken street names. Personally I would go with the XL340T, that traffic update on mine saved me from being late to airport once. I swear by it. Only a $10 upgrade from the XL340S.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, I never did replace my GPS but my current unit is so dated it's just not worth paying for a map upgrade. So, I'm back in the market.

Rather than looking at specific models, I thought it might help to start by picking a brand. The top three choices are Garmin, Magellan, and TomTom. All three seem to have similar features and seem to change models so often that what was the top seller last month may be gone this.

Does anyone have any experience with one brand that rises to the top or sinks to the bottom of the pile? Why?

Here is what my research has turned up.

Garmin is clearly the most popular. This year, they have revamped their product line and greatly simplified it making it much easier to find what you are looking for. Basically they have divided things into three tiers ranging from basic to advanced to super duper advanced.

In pricing the models, I found that the basic series would do most of what I wanted with the exception of detailed road trip planning (with multiple waypoints). Of the 3 basic models, only 2 were available with lifetime maps (40LM and 50LM).

Going one step up, the 2455LMT had darn near everything I could want including lifetime maps and traffic advice. If I drove a lot on a daily basis, I would probably get this unit. But the big problem with the advanced series is that, while the essential series could be found at discounted rates, the advanced stuff was only sold at MSRP. Bummer.

The MSRP for both 4.3" 2455LMT and the 5.0" 50LM is $180, but the 50LM can be found a number of places for under $130. The 40LM is similarly discounted from $160 to $120. After a bit of thought, I decided that I would rather have the 50LM with the larger screen and save $50 over the 2455LMT.

I'll find out if I've made the right choice after taking some time to see how well it does with some of my more complicated destinations. If it doesn't work out, well I'm sure I can find someone who can use it.

BTW, anyone interested in an old TomTom? It still works. Honest!

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a couple of 910 TomToms and they will do waypoints, also maps of Europe and a large hard drive. Only problem with them is they don't use mini USBs for charging and you have to have the specific mounts for them.

I ended up going with the Garmin 50LM. It had everything that I wanted it to do except routes. But it does allow for the insertion of a WayPoint. I was quite sure that this would work but have found that even with a WayPoint, there are a couple of the more complicated routes that I need to drive, it was not going to be enough. So, I'm moving up to the Garmin 2555LMT - a good deal more money but it will handle complex routes.

The like new Garmin 50LM is in the classifieds <sigh>

Good choice! My dad has a TomTom, but Garmin really is the only way to go. Their software is so much better that it's not even funny.

I also have an Android phone. It kills the battery fast, but the free navigation almost negates any purpose in owning a Garmin.