Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sierra MK load

seabee23

I went out this weekend to test out some new loads with my AR. I had a bunch of 55 gr stuff to play with but was mostly there to check some 69 SMK's.

LC brass

CCI 41 Sr

25.4 varget

69 smk

Chrono results:

AV 2713

ES 18.22

SD 6.92

1/2" group @ 50 yds

I have read all the chrono forum and kinda have an understanding of what everything means. The gun used was a 16" 1/7 spikes AR15. My question is, is this about as good as I'm going to get it from an AR platform? Is the velocity where it should be? I was sitting on a bucket resting the rifle on my fourwheeler. Would have rather laid prone but with all the rain, that wasn't an option. Thanks.

While I really like CCI41, they increase extreme spread and are not the best in accuracy. Also Varget is a tad slow for 16" barrels and your comp wont last as long. Try a Winchester primer and your accuracy should improve and you will lose about 40 fps. I'd suggest a slightly faster powder also.

That said 1 MOA is nothing to scoff at...

Thanks for the info. I went with CCI41 primers because I wanted to avoid any slam fires. I also have H355, W748 and 2230. I just ordered a bunch of 77SMK'S. Is varget a bad choice for those also? By the way, just to add I was using an aimpoint with no magnification. Also, MarkCO, what did you mean by my comp won't last long?

Edited by seabee23

Thanks for the info. I went with CCI41 primers because I wanted to avoid any slam fires. I also have H355, W748 and 2230. I just ordered a bunch of 77SMK'S. Is varget a bad choice for those also? By the way, just to add I was using an aimpoint with no magnification. Also, MarkCO, what did you mean by my comp won't last long?

I use Win primers in all of my "better loads" and a JP LMOS carrier. I've had 3 slamfires in 35K rounds, which according to JP is about normal, one with a CCI41.

Varget will be better for the heavies. With a 16" barrel, you will likely be around 2550. When you have lots of burning powder hitting the comp, the gas cutting is more severe. Guys with 24" barrels have comps that usually outlast their barrels. When you use Varget with light bullets in short barrels, you may end up going through 2 or 3 comps per barrel.

W748 is slower than Varget so not a good choice in the short barrel. H335 (not H355) is the fastest of what you list with AA2230 a bit slower. I'd go with one of those.

Ok, one more question. I had some 55 gr stuff loaded up with 25.6 gr of 748. Also CCI41 primers. I took it out yesterday and tested it. My velocity was averaging around 2820. If this load is accurate and in that velocity range with no major SD, is it ok to use in a 16 in barrel? Just don't want to mess anything up. Also, I'm not using a comp, but rather just an A2 flash hider, so cheap to replace. Just making sire it won't mess up my barrel or throat. Thanks again.

What is the twist of your barrel?

Just curious.

I stick with VV powders exclusively - it just worked out that way.

I use Federal Match primers and never had a slam fire. For the first time ever, I did have a first round that the bolt closed on that did not go off. It did fire later. Not sure the cause of the failure to fire.

My 1/8 barrel Sabre Defence and 1/8 JP shoots 69 grain SMK in the low 2900 fps. I have gotten sub moa out of both guns. Typical three shot group is 1/3 moa. This was shot in a 100 yard enclosed concrete tube with a 8x scope. A better shooter and scope could probably tighten up that group somewhat.

I am no expert but it seems you are not going to get the velocity out of a 16 barrel that you would in an 18 or 20. New barrels are cheap.

The twist is 1/7. I guess one thing I left out that may be important, is this gun is not for competition. It is a defence gun, and I am looking for a good accurate load to play with when I go shooting. Sounds like everyone kinda figured it was for comp since I am getting a lot of suggestions on longer barrels. Sorry for not being clear in the beginning.

• 1 month later...

I have found that rem 7.5 primers are the most consistent with a variety of powders and 69+gn bullets out of all my service rifles. 24-24.5 RL15 is about as standard of a load that there is for 69-80g bullets for shooting NRA HP. You can get closer to the 24.5 with winchester brass. Mil brass is a little on the heavy side so thats closer to 24g. If my guns will not shoot with a specific bullet and 24-24.5 RL15 then ill look for another bullet or barrel for what its worth from a high master SR shooter. If i had to pick one ar powder it would be RL15 for 55-82g bullets. I shoot wolf primers and surplus powder with 55 FMJs for most 3 gun stuff out to 200 yds to save money.

I have found that rem 7.5 primers are the most consistent with a variety of powders and 69+gn bullets out of all my service rifles. 24-24.5 RL15 is about as standard of a load that there is for 69-80g bullets for shooting NRA HP. You can get closer to the 24.5 with winchester brass. Mil brass is a little on the heavy side so thats closer to 24g. If my guns will not shoot with a specific bullet and 24-24.5 RL15 then ill look for another bullet or barrel for what its worth from a high master SR shooter. If i had to pick one ar powder it would be RL15 for 55-82g bullets. I shoot wolf primers and surplus powder with 55 FMJs for most 3 gun stuff out to 200 yds to save money.

Thank you for the info. :cheers: