Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IF YOU ARE FINISHED

EEH

While shooting today at a match,21rd stage--made a plan,shooter ready,wow good run 18.55 no misssss--until I hear IF YOU ARE FINISHED UNLOAD AND SHOW CLEAR,,why did that sound so funny,,look at stage oh no one big popper left ,,no mag in gun but I still have one bullet in the gin,,run to port shoot,steel goes down,add 11.01 sec to time,,,==29.56, <_<:angry2:

Edited by EEH

I had the exact same range commands given to me today. Hahaha. I just had to laugh. I had been so busy taking my squad of 9(7 of which were either new or one match previous) shooters through the WSB, I had forgotten to look it over carefully. One target behind a barrel was completely unshot, not engaged. Let's see, hmmm, two misses, one FTE. Gee, how much longer could I have taken to shoot that stage to offset that many penalties? 40pt differential between what I got & what I should have gotten. Well, how bout them apples? Nothing to do but move on. :-)

MLM

While shooting today at a match,21rd stage--made a plan,shooter ready,wow good run 18.55 no misssss--until I hear IF YOU ARE FINISHED UNLOAD AND SHOW CLEAR,,why did that sound so funny,,look at stage oh no one big popper left ,,no mag in gun but I still have one bullet in the gin,,run to port shoot,steel goes down,add 11.01 sec to time,,,==29.56, <_<:angry2:

Shoulda left it.

Thanks for sharing. In the spirit of BE's book, I'm trying to imagine what was going on in your head after the RO spoke the command-- is what you typed what you were consciously thinking? Maybe one part of your brain said "missed the popper" while another part was going "wha...no, stop, STOP!"

Or did you go into automatic after seeing the popper-- no conscious thought, just actions?

Edited by SeaTact

Happened to me yesterday. Plate about 10 yds directly in front of me. Had it programmed in, but dorked up my plan about halfway thru the stage. BTW, that is one reason I do NOT unload until I hear the command. If it had been a paper target vice a popper, you would have also had a miss unless you reloaded.

Edited by remoandiris

Thanks for sharing. In the spirit of BE's book, I'm trying to imagine what was going on in your head after the RO spoke the command-- is what you typed what you were consciously thinking? Maybe one part of your brain said "missed the popper" while another part was going "wha...no, stop, STOP!"

Or did you go into automatic after seeing the popper-- no conscious thought, just actions?

Really what poped into my head was you still have one bullet in the gun, shoot it!!

and thats what I did...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had that happen to me recently. I must have subconsciously knew I'd missed something because what I HEARD (not what was said) was IF you are SURE you are finished....

I dropped my mag, cleared my gun, dropped my head and said, "which one did I miss?". Lesson learned (AGAIN): slow down, only go as fast as MY skill level - not the shooter before me- is capable. <_<

Been there, done it.

Stage had 16 targets with 2 on each side of a wall that run up both the right and left sides of a 32 round field course. Took everything on the left side, came around to the rear port and engaged the targets through there. Ran to the right taking everything on the right side and blowing right past the two targets sitting on the left side of the wall on the right hand side of the course. Knew I blew it because the round count was not right, but it took a trip towards the back to realize which targets I had blown by. Same match had several courses that challenged the shooter to pay attention to target placement. Many people got a 2 M, FTE or two at this match.

• 2 weeks later...

I had that in a local 3-gun match a couple weeks ago. I left a popper. I saw the popper, had a round in the gun, but shook my head and unloaded. Turns out under our scoring rules that was a 15 second penalty - 10 for FTE and 5 for a miss. Heck with that, I'm taking a shot at it next time!

Hah, glad to see I'm not the only one. Shot a match last weekend where I had to cut around the end of a wall. Behind the wall were three targets, the left most one a no-shoot covering 1/2 the target. I engaged the right target, and something in my head made me bypass the center, and engage the hostage taker. The other part of my mind said, "ok right to left complete, lower weapon, finger off trigger." RO made the "IF you are finished..." I felt weird, looked at the target field, and saw the center one with no holes in it. I quickly raised and made a nice double tap in the middle of the A zone. Luckily I hadn't unloaded yet, but it did cost me about 3-4 seconds of delay.

I like to let the competitor lower the gun before I start the command "If You are Finished (take a breath), Unload And Show Clear. Several shooters at the last match discovered hard cover hits but only a couple tried to make them up.