Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New build

sschultz

Its time to get rid of the Para and start buying parts for a new limited gun. I want to build a 6 inch but I want to use a long wide dust cover with a lightened slide has anyone done that yet. And will it work.

Thanks Schultz

I'm not sure you want all that weight out front. I REALLY like my ultralight 6". I'd make it even lighter if I could..... It tracks DEAD flat at 36oz on a short std frame.

Not Jessie Abbate anymore.. Jessie Harrison.

A stock 6in is a slow cycling heavy pig, lighten up the slide is a good thing, speeds up the cycling and puts some life back in the gun. But think about transitions too, that long wide frame is going to weigh a bunch, hard to get all that mass moveing and hard to stop it when you do. Shoot for 34 to 36 ozs with a 6 in gun, with the weight in your hand, light up front. You are going to need to do some load developing too. If you just stick that 180 gr load you were useing for you 5 in in the 6in you and the gun will be unhappy. 165 gr bullets at about 1050 fps is where I like to be.---------Larry

I currenly shoot 170s or 165. What I was thinking is to have a an angled browning cut(ithink that is what you call it)that would angle back into the dust cover which would remove a small amount of the dust cover. Also can you fit a SV grip unto a sti frame. And can you use sti mags in a sv grip.

Schultz

Mine is high powered cut into the short, narrow frame. I believe that SV Cops' was done similar to as you're describing.

As for the SV grip, I know it CAN be done but am unfamiliar with the modifications necessary.

6tg3.jpg

Hello: Listen to what Larry White has said. He has been playing with the 6" for many years :roflol: Actually the king of the 6" Benny Hill and him have been trying different setups on the 6" plateform for many,many years. A short standard dustcover is where you want to start. Removing weight from the barrel and slide are the next places to remove weight. As for loads some like heavy bullets 200 grain or even more and some like 165 grain. It is a personal thing but it can also make the pistol feel different. I shoot my 5" pistol a little faster than the 6" but the hits are always better with the 6" :cheers: I would try some 6" pistols if you get a chance and then decide which way to go. Just a note that I don't like the feel of the STI Edge but some love it and shoot them very well. Thanks, Eric

I've been shooting a long dust cover 6" gun for 3 years now. With an 11.5oz slide (complete with sights) it is not heavy or hard to swing. Total gun weight is 38oz with a bull barrel and stainless steel magwell.

See it in action

post-2055-0-96709700-1314804550_thumb.jp

Edited by TMC

Mine is high powered cut into the short, narrow frame. I believe that SV Cops' was done similar to as you're describing.

As for the SV grip, I know it CAN be done but am unfamiliar with the modifications necessary.

6tg3.jpg

love that 6 inch; if I decide to go to a 6 inch gun it'll look something like that; beautiful