Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soft Cover

Graham Smith

When and why would you want to use soft cover?

If a target is behind soft cover, does it have to be available (be seen) from other view?

When you are bored. And anywhere you want. ;)

No it does not.

Try hanging a bunch of old cloths on a cloths line with target behind...hang em low though.

I understand the HOW part, but not the WHY part.

At the right distance, people won't want to shoot heads.....

It's harder to shoot the A-zone without direct visualization of the target, but can be done by using the visible head as a guide....

...so, for the challenge. It's fun once in a while....

Try hanging a bunch of old cloths on a cloths line with target behind...hang em low though.

I understand the HOW part, but not the WHY part.

Another distraction. Like no-shoots and hard cover.

Seeing an example may help. This is a video of my buddy shooting at the SC Sectional this year. Three targets, the middle target is behind the "Outhouse" door. You can see the half moon (barely see it in the video) and that was your visual reference of where the target was behind it. The plywood door was soft cover and all rounds through it counted as hits on the target.

OK. I think I understand better now. Not something I really want to try at this point in my career as a stage designer, but something to put on the shelf and perhaps dust off later. I can think of a situation in which there was a target that was visible for a 50' shot in the clear from one point or a 20' shot behind soft cover elsewhere. Might be interesting.

Last week end, I had fun running an IDPA stage with a bunch of soft cover. There were 8 targets and 6 of them were behind cardboard soft cover "bushes" with only the head visible from the start position. Shooters were given a start position and then allowed to go anywhere on the stage to (safely) engage the targets. There was NO hard cover to hide behind, so all shooting and reloads were out in the open. All soft cover was a few feet in front of the targets so it was possible to go past the soft cover and still safely shoot the full target instead of shooting through the soft cover.

I saw dozens of ways to shoot the stage. :cheers::roflol:

I like to add it on occasion. Set up right it lets shooters decide how they want to shoot it. head shots, distance to the boy, run up and blast em close.

Then there was the stage that I used black lawscaping fabric strung in front of the Texas Star. You could see the plates at the bottom and top. No just shooting it as normal and waiting for the plates to swing in front of the gun. I don't like it with hardcover since as shot through the hardcover that takes off a plate is a re-shoot. Of course unless you can actually put up real hardcover.

I used to shoot at a non-USPSA club that ran a couple of practical matches where they put old T-shirts on the targets. It was fun and I think it made you concentrate on the sights more since you could not see the holes.

I used to shoot at a non-USPSA club that ran a couple of practical matches where they put old T-shirts on the targets. It was fun and I think it made you concentrate on the sights more since you could not see the holes.

I like those type of stages, it forces me to be more disciplined with shot placement.

• 2 weeks later...

I have these odd ideas that periodically pass through what I loosely call my mind. Most of the time, it's just a drive by and I don't pay it any attention. But, occasionally one stops long enough to moon me and get my attention. That's what happened this morning. Basically, I got to wondering about putting soft cover in a position where it would obscure part or all of a target from one view but let the target be seen fully or better from another view.

Then the drive by happened - what if the soft cover were something like a zombie target? What if I put a zombie target a couple feet in front of a regular target but allowed the target to be seen elsewhere? If someone shot through the zombie, the shots would count and there would be no penalty. It would be like a no-shoot obscuring the target but without the penalty or the scoring issues of a pass through.

Is this idea as nutty as it sounds?

I don't think you could do that since targets are deemed impenetrable. You could cut out some target shaped "soft cover" and use that, I think. Just couldn't use targets themselves. at least, in my opinion.

I was thinking of using something like the large paper zombie and monster targets they use at halloween shoots. These could be tacked up on cardboard and used for cover. It's easy to declare them as soft cover in the briefing. They would be a vision barrier only.

You could use white sheets, and arrange them to look like ghosts.

I think the basic question is this, I've seen examples where softcover was placed directly in front of a target or even on a target (like a T-Shirt), but I don't recall seeing a case where soft cover was a few feet in front of a target and that target in view from another location. The soft cover obstructed the view of the target from one postion but didn't prevent you from shooting it if you wanted to as opposed to going to the other location.

I'm just trying to dig into the idea here, Halloween is just the excuse to discuss it.