Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soft Cover

Graham Smith

[but I don't recall seeing a case where soft cover was a few feet in front of a target and that target in view from another location. The soft cover obstructed the view of the target from one postion but didn't prevent you from shooting it if you wanted to as opposed to going to the other location.

Here's pictures of an IDPA stage I ran last month. It was declared that there was no hard cover on the stage and the "bushes" were soft cover. Shooters could move anywhere on the stage as long as they didn't break the 180. Ignore the steel plates. They weren't part of the stage.

post-2236-0-07090700-1316015008_thumb.jp

post-2236-0-48966200-1316015034_thumb.jp

Edited by Bill Nesbitt

[but I don't recall seeing a case where soft cover was a few feet in front of a target and that target in view from another location. The soft cover obstructed the view of the target from one postion but didn't prevent you from shooting it if you wanted to as opposed to going to the other location.

Here's pictures of an IDPA stage I ran last month. It was declared that there was no hard cover on the stage and the "bushes" were soft cover. Shooters could move anywhere on the stage as long as they didn't break the 180. Ignore the steel plates. They weren't part of the stage.

I like it! You could call that stage "Children of the Corn".

The array with the no-shoot in the middle would be interesting.

Were you roasting marshmallows on the fire as a starting position?

Actually, we called it "Last Dance With Mary Jane". So I'm not an artist. ;) Yes, roasting marshmallows was the start position. I saw a bunch of different ways to shoot it. B)

Bill, that's sort of what I had in mind. I cannot tell from the photo but was there just a single shooting position? Where I'm going with this is you start with a view something like photo one but can then move and get a view something like photo two.

Where I'm going with this is you start with a view something like photo one but can then move and get a view something like photo two.

Yes.

Start position was at the fire. After the beep the shooters could move anywhere on the bay as long as they didn't break the 180. We had 80 shooters and I think everybody shot it a little different. :) If they shot from near the start position, then they had a view like photo 1. If they moved down range they had a variety of views depending on where they moved.

Actually, we called it "Last Dance With Mary Jane". So I'm not an artist. ;) Yes, roasting marshmallows was the start position. I saw a bunch of different ways to shoot it. B)

Ah, I see, you've stumbled across somebody's dope field. That's a good scenario.

Looking at the pictures I think I'd drop my marshmallow and shoot all the targets from right there. Neat stage.