Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning a CZ into an Open Gun questions

enutees

Well I've looked at quite a few peoples CZ open guns and I've decided I have to have one and I'm looking for advise. I realize I may spend almost as much as a used STI and that is okay with me if I get what I want. I love the feel of the CZ's and don't want to change to an STI if I don't have to.

I've done about all the research I can on the forums and PM'd with almost everyone that has built an open CZ. Most of the gunsmiths that I have talked to have been unwilling to try it but I'm sure I'll find someone that will give it a shot.

So my first question is which gun to start with. I shoot a Shadow Custom in production and like it. I planned to do another SP01 but I'm thinking with an eventual comp the 75B SA would be a good place to start since it is a little lighter. Any opinion on which would be easier for a smith to add a comp too?

I've decided on doing a sideways Quinn mount with a Cmore unless someone has a better suggestion. I'm not a big fan of the slide mounted red dots. I feel I loose the dot much quicker during recoil and it takes a split second longer to pick it. Maybe I'm wrong as I've only put a few rounds down range with one.

Anyone have another smith for me to try to ask about a comp? I realize it will not be easily removable and I will have to take it off to get the barrel out and I can live with that. I've seen others do it and it is not ideal but seems to work.

Well that it for now. I have an initial plan of putting the cmore on it and shooting as is for a while until I find a suitable comp/barrel combo. Sorry for the rambling post and let me know what you think and any ideas you may have.

Just me rambling..

TS, SP01 Shadow or 75SA would be good choices you have a thicker slide side to side so it will not get too thin when mating things up.

Will need to get hold of a 6" barrel or cut your slide to be able to thread your barrel.

Have you talked with Jimmy Vidanes in California, believe he was the builder of one the comp guns that was posted here or Eric Zinn, he works with Angus.

For the moment I have a TS 9mm top end, that is in the shop waiting for my gunsmith to cut and see what can he can build for a open top end. :D

Czechmate is what czcustom said. It is a thought but I think I can end up quite a bit cheaper and have the frame I prefer and mags and parts I already have. If I can't get a reasonable quote it may be my only option. I emailed Jimmy Vindanes a while back after seeing bigdoghowie's gun but haven't heard back.

Planning on it if it runs. I've talked to some others that have 10k plus through it with major and it has held up for them. I figure if the frame gives somehow it would cost too much to buy another CZ and sell the extra upper. Now if the comp work goes that would cost me more I'm sure.

The main thing I have heard for a couple years now from the boys down at CZC is an overriding concern over the durability of any of the non-Czechmate 9s shooting major PF. Sort of like building a 400HP Mini Cooper. Yeah, it mechanically can be done but how long will it run?

Just my .02 but I would actually use a .40 TS as a platform. It is designed for the bang.

Good luck. I'm subscribing as well.

I've heard this as well. I would love to know why the CZ can't handle it while the Glock, m&p and the tanfoglio guns seem to do it just fine. I'm not arguing it but it is a stout gun and other than slide stops other replaceable parts what is it that can't handle it? I've seen plenty of STI's crack slides and other parts in open guns so it isn't like they never wear out either.

I may be making a mistake going after this but we'll see how it goes.

Saw this on Angus's Facebook page tonight. May be a good option. Looks like CZCustom is going to make an upper that can be attached to a production CZ to run in the open class.

Here's what he said about it. "V-* shadow upper with flat top and buried C-More CTS.

My new steel challenge gun, Almost the same weight and dimensions as my production gun.

Shoot awesome, we are gonna offer ready built top ends build 5 right now."

"I wanted a gun that mimicked my production gun very close!

Same bam ace same weight same trigger system, with a easier sighting stem and less recoil!

This is what we came up with, later model will have side slots, not be slash cut, keep the weight similar!

Gonna shoot first shot DA for steel challenge!

Testing has proved very good, but the proof is in the match !!"

"Nice thing about this top end you can switch directly with shadow gun and have open / steel gun!

Just change top end same magazine same trigger pull!"

"We have built some for sale will be on the website soon as I get back from steel challenge"

286409_10150334365229493_577889492_9483416_5397841_o.jpg

285866_10150333825079493_577889492_9477717_7691527_o.jpg

Edited by SRMX

Now THAT looks like a very interesting option. Wonder how effective the porting is at controlling muzzle rise vs. a dedicated comp. Would be neat on a 75 Shadow with a SA trigger. I wonder if they're going to build any on the long slide version?

That set up looks sweet but I'm sure they wouldn't suggest major pf with just the ports. I'm sure being this is his steel challenge gun it isn't set up for it either. It is sweet though and would make switching back and forth much easier for me. Too many decisions and never enough cash.

Forgot about the major requirement. My bad. I just shoot steel so I tend to forget that most folks want to make major with their open guns. He is running this with 115gr bullets at 119pf so it appears it was designed with shooting minor loads in mind.

Have you looked at putting the XDM compensator on an SPO1 gun......if you are not aware the outside diameter of the SPO1 barrel is actually a larger OD than a standard 75 gun and will allow it to take major PF ammo no problem. My old gun ran 115 gr bullets at 1520fps no problem. Same ammo in my friends EAA Gold team was 50 fps slower. Also the SPO1 is already setup for a full length guide rod which can also aid in indexing your comp. Here is what you need.....

SPO1-safety style model

CZ Steel guide rod

CZ straight SA trigger, new springs, and trigger pin(youtube videos show how to take it apart and do the work yourself)

CZ grips of choice

CZ 6" barrel for SPO1 or an EFK Firedragon barrel

CZ Magwell

Rescomp or similar scope mount or a custom made Quinn mount/Cheely mount

CZ factory 26 round mags(EERW has a thread)and trim the back corner to get it in the correct length. Stuart was able to get 28 rounds I believe.

For shorter mags add the CZ +3 aluminum extensions for a reloadable 23

All said not including optic, you can come in at around $1200.

Phil, I did think about this but I can't find an extended barrel for the sp01. Firedragon basically said no time soon and I haven't seen any other source for an extended SP01 barrel. If you know of one let me know.

BTW you are one of the reasons I want to do this since yours looked good. Too bad you sold it.

Phil, I did think about this but I can't find an extended barrel for the sp01. Firedragon basically said no time soon and I haven't seen any other source for an extended SP01 barrel. If you know of one let me know.

BTW you are one of the reasons I want to do this since yours looked good. Too bad you sold it.

Yeah.....it was a sad day, but it was either sell my CZ and my Saig or walk since my engine blew up in my truck!!! I loved my guns, but I hate to walk.......guns can be replaced over time. Hell I have already tricked out a CZ 75 SA again and was thinking about turning it into a open gun, but then I bought my very first Caspian open gun back. It is a 9x21 with six mags and thousands of rounds of brass. It also has a bushinged 9mm barrel for limited or IDPA.

enutees... I'm not sure whether this is the correct barrel. One of the members here, "kaiserb," had the below barrel for sale.

Fits a CZ 75 SP-01 9mm

EFK Fire Dragon Ported Barrel

* We use the finest material available (type 416 Stainless Steel)

* Machining processes are accomplished on CNC equipment for the highest "close tolerance" production

* Heat treating is done in a vacuum furnace for a clean, consistent hardness of 43-45 Rc.

* Barrels are bored and rifled using ECM process (Electro Chemical Machining). This process produces greater accuracy (+/- 50 millionths of an inch!) and a superior finish (16 RMS or better). It also creates less stress than button broach cutting resulting in a more accurate and durable barrel.

* The end result is a good looking, top quality barrel with consistent, accurate, long-lasting performance. And don't forget the service! We deal with our customers on a personal level to ensure their complete satisfaction with every product we sell.

Lots of interest but hard to sell.. not a good investment. I remember it was hard for phil80 to get rid of his.

Jimmy Vidanes will turn you stock CZ-spo1 or cz-TS to open by making from barstock steel compensator cone with

nice lightening holes on the slide. bighowie had his done! labor would be around $1300..lots of labor involved. his email is kadilakjim@aol.com He now runs his own shop called 1911 speedshop.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Justaute, I would love if EFK had them in stock. It would ease my conversion quite a bit. I spoke with Bobby Carver about just mounting one of his comps on an extended barrel and he said it would work fine. I just need the extended barrel is the only problem.

shooterbenedetto, I'm not too worried about the resale value. If the worst came and I needed to sell it I could sell all the components pretty easily and the only hit I would worry about would be the barrel and comp. I did email Jimmy Vidanes and haven't heard back from him. I have a few other guys that I think are going to give it a try for me though. I'm waiting to finalize some details and hopefully I can get it started..

This thread has been an interest to me because I was recently thinking the same thing. It seems though that a Shadow would be better than using one of my spare 75B's.

I also have a small frame Witness that I have been eyeing for this also.