Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.62 x 39 AR question

1911vm

Make sure you can find mags:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128632&st=0&p=1450454&hl=russian&fromsearch=1entry1450454

I really like the american eagle brass cased ammo.

So far finding steel cased ammo that runs has been a challenge.

I haven't really tracked down what the problem is. If I was you, I would just buy twenty rounds of various steel cased fodder, shoot 'em all and see what runs. You don't want blow about $235 on a case of 1,000 rounds won't run, and then you're stuck with 990 rounds.

I think some AK47's are bored for .311" .

Whereas, I am thinking all your American made 7.62X39 AR's are .308" .

My problems were years ago, things are a little better now, but... I couldn't get a magazine that would work worth a damn with more than 7 rounds in it.

Most of the cheap ammo wouldn't work in the rifle because the AR springs weren't strong enough for the primers. Heavier springs are fairly easy to get now, but at the time not so much.

My Colt 7.62x39 CAR-15 has been a dandy hog hunter, is fun to shoot and with the .3095 bore, around 1moa accurate with good ammo.

C-Products makes 20 and 30 rounders. Load the 30's with 28 and they function just fine. At one time the defunct USA Mags welded an AR top to an AK bottom to make some reliable high cap 20 and 30 round mags and these can still be found at gun shows occasionally.

For 3-gun, it would be fun, and a couple steps above using an AK-47, but would not be competitive with a similarly outfitted .556.

If you want it, get it, and then have some fun with it.

The only reason I can see for running a 7.62x39 in 3-gun matches would be if you could make the power factor for major/heavy metal. Ammo (other than crappy steel case) is at least as expensive as .223.

Close but no cigar. Most every match (OK every Major match) says 308 Winchester / 7.62 x 51 for Heavy Metal.

7.62 x 39 can make Major PF but HM no.

Patrick

The only reason I can see for running a 7.62x39 in 3-gun matches would be if you could make the power factor for major/heavy metal. Ammo (other than crappy steel case) is at least as expensive as .223.

Close but no cigar. Most every match (OK every Major match) says 308 Winchester / 7.62 x 51 for Heavy Metal.

Patrick

Close but no cigar. SMM3G sets the power floor for HM at 320PF. The requirement to shoot 7.62x51 was deleted in 2010... we wanted to do something to increase participation in the HM divisions (though I'm not sure yet if this rule change did much either way). Where we lead, others follow :D

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Close but no cigar. SMM3G sets the power floor for HM at 320PF. The requirement to shoot 7.62x51 was deleted in 2010... we wanted to do something to increase participation in the HM divisions (though I'm not sure yet if this rule change did much either way). Where we lead, others follow :D

I have never shot a 3gun in any category but HM ( I will try the game one day) and if Arizona was bit closer drive to Connecticut you would half 3-4 more HM shooters.

Patrick

I stand corrected.

Has anyone been chronoed???

I believe that was one of the reasons that 308/7.62x51 was established as a minimum.

Aside from handloads most factory ammo easily makes major.

Oh well.

Patrick

Patrick

I stand corrected.

I believe that was one of the reasons that 308/7.62x51 was established as a minimum.

Oh well.

Patrick

Go ahead Pat, say it. The wussification of Heavy Metal/He Man. That's what you're really thinking. :rolleyes:

A good way to do this is to get a MGI Modular lower and bolt....then you can run ak mags.

I have actually been looking at m g I .,what kind of experience do you have with this platform ?

Patrick

I stand corrected.

Oh well.

Patrick

Go ahead Pat, say it. The wussification of Heavy Metal/He Man. That's what you're really thinking. :rolleyes:

Dan, this is actually "Metrosexual metal", not heavy metal/he man.

[Dan, this is actually "Metrosexual metal", not heavy metal/he man.

I should have expected a reply like that from you. After all, you shoot one of the remaining "Battle Rifles" along with Pat, when he shoots big bullets. :cheers:

I should have put one of these at the end: :roflol:

Because I was smiling when I said it- even though it's true. :)