Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which states have the largest IDPA clubs?

Biggest club or most shooters/most matches to shoot?

Houston area for example may not have the biggest single club (some do get 80-100 shooters each month) but you can shoot an IDPA match with 20+ shooters 5 days a week.

Houston area for example may not have the biggest single club (some do get 80-100 shooters each month) but you can shoot an IDPA match with 20+ shooters 5 days a week.

I know my club by itself host 8 regular matches per month. We can have 10 if these is a 5th Sat or 5th Thursday. We are in Fort Worth, Texas.

I know my club by itself host 8 regular matches per month. We can have 10 if these is a 5th Sat or 5th Thursday. We are in Fort Worth, Texas.

I need to move to Texas!!!

Geez...I'd never get any work done. About 10-12 club matches a month is about all I can afford/stand to shoot.

And very soon we will be hosting 10 regular matches a month. Just need 2 more MDs :)

Cross Timbers IDPA has around 100 members, Collin County IDPA also has around 100 members.

Georgia IDPA seems to be the biggest I have attended. Not sure of the member count..and strickly for IDPA??

I think with BOTH USPSA and IDPA it might be the biggest. It holds the Area 6, Georgia State IDPA, and Glock GSSF matches.

Basing it strictly on individual club size is tricky though. In some areas and in some states there are not many clubs so the draw to the only match in town is large. Other areas that have multiple matches a month may not have triple digit turnout for each match but 3 or 4 monthly matches averaging 60+ shooters is pretty large.

Not that it is a big deal anyway..........size doesn't matter. :D

Sacramento IDPA club had over 400 different shooters over the past 12 months shoot their matches.

80 shooters shot 5 or more matches at the club.

Highest number at a match in the past 12 months is 128, past 3 months, 123 ,117 and 103.

We have 6 stages, with over 15 shooters per squad it can make a long day.

Great to have that many people interested in shooting IDPA, but you have to design the

stages to flow, reduce the bottle necks, and limit the complicated and fun, high round count stages.

Some shooters are shooting USPSA at our range to be able to shoot the higher round count stages. At SacValley Shooting Range we also have 2 USPSA clubs and a Steel Challenge match.

Some of our members drive 100 miles one way to shoot and 6, 12 round stages are not keeping many of our shooters

interested. Success can have its problems.

Edited by Trail3

Georgia IDPA seems to be the biggest I have attended. Not sure of the member count..and strickly for IDPA??

I think with BOTH USPSA and IDPA it might be the biggest. It holds the Area 6, Georgia State IDPA, and Glock GSSF matches.

There is a difference between the range where all of those matches are held and the actual IDPA club. The range is South River Gun Club in Conyers/Covington. The range hosts the largest GSSF match in the circuit as well as many other leagues and major matches. The Greater Atlanta Defensive Pistol Association is a club that hosts matches all over the metro Atlanta area as well as the GA state IDPA match, which is held at South River.

• 2 weeks later...

HQ hasn't published the stats for this as of yet but I worked on this some with the area coordinator in our state (FLorida) who is tied for third largest with California. Texas has 31 clubs and Pennsylvania has over 20 clubs.

I can also tall you there are a couple clubs in our state who regularly have over 100 shooters for their local matches. The next tier are clubs with between 70 and 80 shooters which, is what I belong to. There are someone on the order of 17,000 members. That is on their web site.

HQ hasn't published the stats for this as of yet but I worked on this some with the area coordinator in our state (FLorida) who is tied for third largest with California. Texas has 31 clubs and Pennsylvania has over 20 clubs.

I can also tall you there are a couple clubs in our state who regularly have over 100 shooters for their local matches. The next tier are clubs with between 70 and 80 shooters which, is what I belong to. There are someone on the order of 17,000 members. That is on their web site.

Good information indeed...thanks B)