Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Tac 30

Everyone is out of stock right now. I heard it had something to do with the earthquake in Japan. Not sure if that's true, but for whatever reason they are nowhere to be found. I decided to go with the Leatherwood CMR and I'm very pleased with it. You might want to check them out.

Does anyone know of an online retailer with the Burris 1x4 Tac 30's in stock? I have been waiting over a month and SWFA doesn't have any.

You should probably pick a retailer, backorder and wait. I did this early in the year with Cabelas. I had some gift cards to use so that is who I picked. I got the scope within their promised time and AKAIK, it never did show available on the website. If you are waiting to see "available", it may not happen as their backlog may be bigger than the delivery. I bought my upper from Midway and the same thing happened, it was backordered, I got shipment notice and I never did receive an "back in stock" email!

Later,

Chuck

I have been told mid August for the Tac30s. I just got something new from Burris, and I will be running it at RM3G, and there will be some on the RM3G prize Table. I'll post more when I can, but this sucker is not listed anywhere yet.

I have been told mid August for the Tac30s. I just got something new from Burris, and I will be running it at RM3G, and there will be some on the RM3G prize Table. I'll post more when I can, but this sucker is not listed anywhere yet.

You're just full of secrets and surprises lately. :D

Yep, got the MTACs today. They are essentially the Tac30 with 2 of the 3 things I wanted improved, but I'll take it! The power ring moves without the occular moving and the illumination switch is a rotary knob with 10 levels, off in between each one. BIG improvement.

For 2012, MTACs will be about $399 and Tac30s about $299, so the SWFA deal is really good. We will be running them at RM3G. The power ring won't accept the Tac30 Switchview, ThrowLever, ScopeLever, etc.

Thanks to Burris!

Does an XTR Switchview work on them? Btw, what was the third thing you wanted improved?

XTR might, but I don't have one to try, just had Tac30 versions.

I wanted the center dot reduced in size just a bit. Poker chips at 100 are a tad tough with the 2.4" dot. I could live with a 2MOA dot in the center. I also wanted the top T bar over the center dot gone. Maybe in the 2013 version.

Does an XTR Switchview work on them? Btw, what was the third thing you wanted improved?

XTR might, but I don't have one to try, just had Tac30 versions.

I wanted the center dot reduced in size just a bit. Poker chips at 100 are a tad tough with the 2.4" dot. I could live with a 2MOA dot in the center. I also wanted the top T bar over the center dot gone. Maybe in the 2013 version.

The reticle is the main reason I'm not jumping on the deal for the MTAC. I was hoping the MTAC (Tac30 update) would have a 2MOA square diamond in the center with BDC chevrons like others have now. Additionally, a thinner outer ring would have been nice as well as losing the T bars.

I do like the new dimmer dial but I can live with the magnification adjustment and I liked the capped adjustment turrets. I just bought the Tac30 a couple months ago so I won't be upgrading for relatively minor changes.

The reticle is the main reason I'm not jumping on the deal for the MTAC. I was hoping the MTAC (Tac30 update) would have a 2MOA square diamond in the center with BDC chevrons like others have now. Additionally, a thinner outer ring would have been nice as well as losing the T bars.

The side T bars don't bother me much, especially in the wind. Like you, I wanted a better center dot since that is where the majority of shots are going to be. 100 yards and in is not a big deal, but 200 yards on a small targets, it does slow me down.

I thought I would want a thinner outer ring, but now, after shooting the Tac30 for a year, I like it. One of the benefits of the Tac30 is the brightness...take out area of the reticle and you lose brightness. If you want to shoot it like a red dot on the fast and close targets, the fatter ring is a benefit. On targets out past 300 yards or so, it really does not make a difference.

• 2 years later...

I didn't want to start a new thread on a topic that is probably beat to death to some.

After reading about scopes for possible 3 gun and just fun at the range I settled on a 1-4 scope. I was looking for a good deal for an MTAC but came across a new TAC30 for under $240. I already had the standard PEPR mount from a sale at Midway. After reading some recommendations here from some accomplished shooters I figured I couldn't really go wrong with it.

I received the TAC30 today and I am impressed. It seems extremely well put together and the glass seems really clear to me ( I really only have experience with dot scopes and cheaper riflescopes). The push button switch did not seem that hard to use at all and I was able to get it lighter or brighter fairly easily. The center dot does not seem that large to me, but I am use to 6 and 8 moa dots.

I am looking forward to a nice day to get away and site her in.

Questions!

The standard PEPR mount, will it maintain a close enough zero if I take it off the rail and then reinstall it to get some irons in?

Do I need to locktite the scope rings on top of the scope? It seems that with 3 on each side I can set enough tension to each screw so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Brian

I still think the tac 30 is the best buy for an under $300 optic out there. I have one on my Backup TO rifle and never felt unddergunned when shooting it.

Your optic might return to close zero when you reinstall it. But not likely it will be exactly repeatable.

Locktite probably not necessary.

Brian, I would not locktite. The PEPR, if you torque in the exact same pattern, to the exact same torque levels, will in fact RTZ (at least less than .5 MOA of difference). I did get some thermal drift with the PEPR that was in the 2 MOA range with a 100F change (-10F to 90F). I found no measurable difference from 50 to 100F. The Tac30 is a great choice.

I did a quick mount to eyeball level the scope. I was surprised the bell clears the MBUS. The MBUS will not be useable while the scope is mounted but it is nice that it can stay on.

I still do not have a problem with the push button switch for the reticle, but I guess it may wear out and become more difficult. To tell the truth I do not even think I will use the illumination that often.

I will mount it on an M&P 15 sport (neutered version :( ). I hope to build a proper upper for it and already started buying tools for same.

Once I am sure I have the scope truly leveled, and the weather is a little nicer I will take it to the range and have fun. I just have to look for 3 gun matches that are drive able to.

Glockster35, I appreciate the offer and PMed you on same.

Looking forward to getting my feet wet in the sport. Now I just have to get a decent shotgun, and carriers, ammo, ar pouches, cart, more ammo, etc. I should probably turn back and save a whole lot of money right now shouldn't i? Ha ha.

Brian