Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much slower?

1) I'm not a speed demon and have only dabbled with IDPA and IPSC.

2) Recently, I started shooting these matches with my old 686 but am the only one shooting a wheelie.

Q) How much slower is a revolver than an auto? My accuracy is fine but I seem to be almost twice as slow as the auto shooters. Most of my shooting has been in PPC. I'm actually fairly fast at reloading.

Edited by Palmetto Sharpshooter

What has worked for me is when comparing to a limited shooter of my ability or slightly better is to add 2.5-3 seconds of time for each reload needed. For example, if a limited shooter takes 9 seconds on a 14 round course.....I'm typically around 14-15 seconds. It doesn't always work, especially if the stage is a bit unfriendly to revolver shooters, but for the most part that is how I compare my results. It's really hard to tell how you do at a match sometimes, especially if you are the only wheelgunner.

This is the reason I like to see the overall combined results posted after a match.

Not to steal your thread, but what I'd like to hear is where most of us finish in the overall results. I'm a B class revolver and often find myself mixed between some of the mid-higher C class limited and production shooters. What about the rest of you guys?

1) I'm not a speed demon and have only dabbled with IDPA and IPSC.

2) Recently, I started shooting these matches with my old 686 but am the only one shooting a wheelie.

Q) How much slower is a revolver than an auto? My accuracy is fine but I seem to be almost twice as slow as the auto shooters. Most of my shooting has been in PPC. I'm actually fairly fast at reloading.

How you fare against a semi auto is stage dependent. On a one hit per target (especially steel) with some distance between the targets for transition a person with a revo can hang right with the semi. Most of the PPC shooters I ahve seen playing the IPSC game are real solid when it comes to reloads and very accurate. Sometimes you have to push yourself to only accept an acceptable shot for speed. So that you do not have to slow down to hit your target but see what you need to see to break the shot. I understand your dilema on being the only Revo guy there. But hang in there like a 50 lb booger and you may get a couple of converts. Kyroweb, I have finished in the top twenty out of 60 to 80 shooters, again dependent on the stage designs and lately I finish in the middle of the pack.

In IDPA I've found that I'm consistently beating people one full class lower than me. As a solid MM (in SSR) I was beating any UN or NV. As a solid SS I was beating most MM, but a couple MM nearing SS might beat me now and again. As a high SS I was beating all MM.

My next classifier I expect to hit EX, fingers crossed, and I'm beating all MM and some SS now and again.

Here's the 2010 IDPA Nationals Results:

http://www.idpa.com/matchresults/2010_nationals/idpa2010/2010-09-22.pdf

You can see the top SSR MA is in line with the top SSP EX. Ditto SSR EX and SSP SS.

I've been comparing closely my scores for 10 months now and the last six months I've been looking at some sanctioned matches nationwide and these results have been quite consistent throughout.

hang in there like a 50 lb booger and you may get a couple of converts.

LOL

I've definitely noticed the interest in revolver shooting has increased a great deal at my home club since I started shooting a wheel gun. I had never even seen a revolver in the three previous years shooting there. I've shot a revolver for a year now and things have changed some. I've had a number of folks show significant interest in shooting a round gun, asking intently about equipment, techniques, etc. I've even seen a few different shooters give it a try in matches.

It's been a lot of fun.

Your comparison is also stage dependent. 6 shots thru a port vs 8 shots thru that same port is a lot more difficult for a 6 shooter.

I recently shot a USPSA classifier match with an 8 shot 38 super. Most stages were 6 shot neutral

I came out as a C production shooter in all the stages (blew up on El Pres.) (brain fade on the back stretch.....)

I am a C shooter in Revolver and L10 (also with an 8 shot).

I'm hoping they will let me shoot the 8 shot in single stack...................

IMO it all depends on the match and the pool of shooters you're shooting against. I dont think you can make it relate, one location to another You can be a big fish in a small pond.

Small club match in June I came in 3rd over all out of 27 shooters. Didn't expect that Beat a number of Open and Limited shooters, but it was all short stuff where magazine capacity wasn't as important.

Larger club match in July against many of the same people, I came in like 27 out of 47.

And I thought I did pretty good too and was surprised how low I placed, but the stages were just a killer reloads wise vs. the autos.

I think generally if I place 10-15 over all at our club matches, I'm very happy and did pretty well. Most of the time it's not that high, but I bounce around divisions too much to get really good.

But that only relates to the two small clubs I shoot at.

iam the guy who beats bubber out of the top 20 if you work on your reloads every day (with dummy rounds ) you will get faster. learn to break stages down to your strengths and go as fast as you can as long as you make good shots you will finish in the top of the field

iam the guy who beats bubber out of the top 20 if you work on your reloads every day (with dummy rounds ) you will get faster. learn to break stages down to your strengths and go as fast as you can as long as you make good shots you will finish in the top of the field

I will get my REVENGE!!! I may have to work on you revo but I will get my REVENGE!! :roflol: okc icore has been spankin me as he has improved and i a whuppin up in the top twenty overall of the okc club. Congrats bud... later rdd

I am an old school revolver shooter that started in the 70s. I carried revolvers for many years when that's all they would let us have.

Since I started shooting a wheelgun in local matches, I have found; I am enjoying it immensely and other shooters look at me like I have grown an extra eyeball. I really can't see going back to an auto since it is so much freaking fun.

I am not really looking for blinding speed but wasn't expecting to be so far separated from what I expect shooting an auto.

I have come 360 degrees in my shooting. Like you, I started out with revolvers in the late 1970s. I shot a Colt six-inch python for the longest time and then switched to a four-inch S&W 686 no dash. Still wish I had that revolver, it was really slick. Then, I got hooked on 1911s and shot them for the longest time. I am back to shooting revolvers and loving it. In the IDPA matches I shoot in South Carolina, I always see a few revolver shooters. We always have a great time. I try to focus on shooting my match and not worry too much about the autos.

Andy Thompson

I will get my REVENGE!!! I may have to work on you revo but I will get my REVENGE!! :roflol: okc icore has been spankin me as he has improved and i a whuppin up in the top twenty overall of the okc club. Congrats bud... later rdd

Bubber, you have a lot of avenging to do. Even though my placement changes from one to several spots above Bubber, my percentage of the Limited/Open match winners is consistently 50 to 60 percent. We are lucky to have several GMs that shoot with us. I find that my percentage of the top shooter in local matches is pretty close to my percentage in larger matches.

Bubber, you have a lot of avenging to do. Even though my placement changes from one to several spots above Bubber, my percentage of the Limited/Open match winners is consistently 50 to 60 percent. We are lucky to have several GMs that shoot with us. I find that my percentage of the top shooter in local matches is pretty close to my percentage in larger matches.

Revenge Javi not avenge. Tis the meal best served "COLD" Muhaahaha! And you are on my list. :ph34r::roflol:

You may not always be slower...

I am a solid limited B ICORE shooter. A few years back, looking for some more practice, I shot a match at an indoor range near my house. I shot my 8 shot super like I always do with my Wheelburner friends, as accurately as I can and try to be fast; as opposed to as fast as I can and try to be accurate. The other shooters, including another wheel, would just hose, reload and hose some more. So, much to their surprise, though some of my raw times may have been slower, I beat them soundly with accuracy. Fun.

I showed up the next month, for more practice. They still didn't know who I was. There were hushed whispers of "there's the revolver guy..." I shot the same. So did they. Same result. Super, super fun...

Recently when I've shot matches there, they have noticeably slowed down, get better hits, the stage designs now favor hi-cap more, and they don't have classes for open, revo, limited etc. so i finish top third-ish. But that is great. And "revolver guy" says "You're welcome." :ph34r:

Embrace the revo difference, work on accuracy, practice reloads, and don't worry about being slower - it will make you faster...

All else being equal, the competitor being comfortable with both types I've found that splits are usually about 10% slower and your focus at any given moment makes a bigger difference, no difference on the draw/transitions.

Reloads, at least for me, are usually about 60% slower. The problem is you have to do so many more than a Limited/Open or even a L10/Production guy.

Depending on the course you can even do close to twice the number of a Single Stack.

But it does get lonely.

HF is hit factor and B is the class of the shooter, I assume. My best guess, any way.

Kee-rect. It's a pretty fuzzy thing, since it very much depends on whether the travel time between positions is less/greater than 2 seconds.

Matt

Hit factor is the number of points per second you score. That is why it can vary so much, depending on the stage set up, as extra reloads really add to the time. I am a Match Director so I try to make sure at least one stage is 6 round friendly : :roflol: