Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on a glock carry gun

dezz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stayed away from the G36 for several reasons; as Duane mentioned, the G36 has not exactly garnered a steller reputation for reliability throughout its lifespan. About the only time I'd personally consider on would be if the choice was between it and a sub-compact 1911-and in my book that's a pretty low bar...

From a handling standpoint, the recoil and reloading issues have been discussed. I'd say a Pierce magazine extension becomes a near necessity on the gun from both the comfort and controllability/handling standpoints. I've also found that the G36 has a very flat, slab-like feel to it, do to the receiver/magazine configuration, which gives me a "dead" feel when handling.

Given modern cartridge/bullet evolution, I think that the 9mm G19 fits much better in the G36's niche, and more. It's comfortable, ergonomic, carries significantly more cartridges, is very fast handling, and is easy to conceal. The G19 (and G17), especially the Gen 3 guns, are considered to be pretty much the "gold standard" of a modern, effective, durable and reliable combat handgun.

If you prefer the .45 platform, I'd suggest the G30 or the G30 SF; alternatively, the G38 in .45 GAP gives you a .45 caliber gun with 8+1 capacity in a G19 frame, and has garnered a very good reputation.

I consider the G26 to be an excellent gun, but I frankly have found that the G19 is virtually as conceallable, and in a more user-friendly package-particularly if you add a Pierce extension to the magazine of the G26 to make it more controllable, which then gives it the same receiver profile as the G19 for all practical/concealable purposes...

Best, Jon

Guess I'd echo most everyone else in saying the G19 is pretty much THE go-to carry Glock, with modern +P JHP ammo you're not giving up much, if anything, but you are getting the watch-like reliability and capacity that Glock's in 9mm bring to the table.

The G36 is an ok pistol, but when I think "Glock" I think reliability and capacity, neither of which is a strongpoint of the G36, with the former seeming to be below what most expect from a Glock. I know that a couple of guys I know who are dedicated ".45acp only" types swear by the G30 and have tried and gotten rid of the 36's...

I know some people are into the caliber-thing more than others and for many of them the 9mm might as well be a pellet-gun, if that's the case I would look at the .45gap models, while not popular with the mainstream, the list of agencies fielding it is impressive and the teports I've read say the guns seem to run as if they think they're 9mm's, and being the same size as them fits more hands than the thicker 30/21 guns.

Really I think it's important to remember that even the a G34 is much lighter and easier to carry than a full-size 1911 and lots of guys carry those, I've been carrying one IWB from time to time at 3 o'clock and it's been fine, and I've been carrying a G17 AIWB for over a year without any real issues. Glocks are light, which I think is more important than size, so all of them can be carried IMHO.

The Glock 30's can be a little tougher to wear "concealed," but it is possible. I have smal;ler hands and thoght a Glock 36 would be a nice fit, but after I got one I found that when I shot it the sall little space between teh baseplate and the grip pinches the crap out of my little finger. Then I found that a glock 32, 23 or 19 was almost the same exact size. They even fit the same holsters. I went back to my 32C.

I'm LE and not one for appendix carry. We carry G22 for Patrolmen, and G23 for Detectives and Technicians. We are authorized a BUG...G27 only, attached inside our shirts to our vests...pretty much shoulder carry.

So, I carry a G27 off duty and as a BUG. Off duty I carry in the following ways:

1) in shorts and T-shirt: I carry IWB at the 8:30 position (Yes, I'm left handed) with either a Comp-Tac Minatour (VERY COMFORTABLE) or a Texas Heritage IWB holster. Both are TUCKABLE and comfortable.

2) in Trousers and shirts I carry in a DeSantis Ankle holster.

Either way, the G27 hides well. FYI...I'm 6'2" 220lbs.

Z-

I carried a G26 to the point where the finish is worn off and it has some rust spots :blush: , so I can highly recommend the G26 as a great subcompact carry gun. It is good for IWB and pocket carry if needed.

However, I have switched to a 19 in the past few years due to the added capacity and the fact that concealabity is nearly the same. Although it is not one of your choices, I feel that the G19 is perhaps the perfect carry pistol. If I could only own one Glock, it would be the G19.

This post made me laugh. I almost couldn't remember... but yes, I do have a G19. I should carry it more often. However I usually carry a G26 or G27.

Edited by lugnut

No, I'm saying I didn't know there actually was a such a thing as 9-round mags (shorter than the 10-rounders) for the G30.

Oh, yeah.... they make 'em and I like 'em.... I'll get a pic up for reference for you.

I've carried a G19 for 10 summers and a G30 for 14 winters. If you're sold on getting a single Glock for carry, you'll have a nice and reliable friend on your hip if you go for the G30.

I've owned the G36. Something wasn't right with it. It recoiled harder than it needed to in my opinion. It was very picky on ammo and it never made the grade for me. Traded it for a Series 70 in decent shape. :wub:

Recently moved to an XDM 9mm compact in place of the G19. I'll never trade the G19 away though, it's the first Glock I put rust on. Never took to the sub-compact Glocks, I think their balance is off a bit.

the g19 is on my to buy list, hands down. still, would like to try the 36 just to see how it shoots. can anyone tell me how the recoil would compare with a 38 special snubbie revolver? That's my only frame of reference besides my G17

I'm pretty big, and can't abide having my pinky dropped off the bottom of the grip. Also see no sense in increasing the size of the gun by adding lips, extensions, or what-not onto the bottom. Don't care for 9mm as a defense load, so that means = G23.

PS: I probably should add that although I own the G23, it's all purely theoretical, since I live in the P.R. of Illinois, and so cannot legally CCW.

Edited by Rico567

Carried a 27 for a bit, needed the pinky extension to shoot the thing cause of my somewhat large mitts. With the pinky extensions the 27 grip is almost the same size as the 23. Currently carry the 23 and wont look back; pretty much ideal package of compact size, shootability, mag capacity with a potent cartridge.