Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Area 5 Championship

I vote for moving it out of IL or at least farther from Chicago.

Well you'll have a new Area 5 Director next year and I'm sure you can ask him if you can host the match for 2013. AD's are always looking for suckers...er I mean volunteers to run Area matches. As far as moving it for 2012, I think you're out of luck.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The match fee has been increased by $15. It was a hard decision to make.

Let me explain why... more dollars equal more $ and guns to pay to shooters! That's it and the bottom line.

I think we are going to hire the guy who did last years Prize table and let him handle the whole thing... he did a good job with it and I don't want to deal with it.

Then there will be the top prizes... not confirmed yet, but here's what I'm thinking... the overall winner in each division (X number of shooters) will walk out of there with a check for $1000 and maybe a gun too depending on how that end goes. :surprise:

I can't wait to see you all again!

JT

I have a problem with the way the prizes were given out. How is it fair when you give prizes out AFTER a 3 day match and many of the shooters are already on their way home?

Let me explain why... more dollars equal more $ and guns to pay to shooters! That's it and the bottom line.

I think we are going to hire the guy who did last years Prize table and let him handle the whole thing... he did a good job with it and I don't want to deal with it.

Then there will be the top prizes... not confirmed yet, but here's what I'm thinking... the overall winner in each division (X number of shooters) will walk out of there with a check for $1000 and maybe a gun too depending on how that end goes. :surprise:

JT

I have a problem with the way the prizes were given out. How is it fair when you give prizes out AFTER a 3 day match and many of the shooters are already on their way home?

I was long gone and had no problem getting my prize. Gotta get somebody to walk the table for you.

This year's match was one of the most fun area matches I've shot. It was challenging yet not so challenge to make it a pain to shoot! I like Barry's range and central location, I just hate that its in IL.

I vote for moving it out of IL or at least farther from Chicago.

Well you'll have a new Area 5 Director next year and I'm sure you can ask him if you can host the match for 2013. AD's are always looking for suckers...er I mean volunteers to run Area matches. As far as moving it for 2012, I think you're out of luck.

You have to be a little but nuts to be an MD at the Area level. It's kind of like getting the, "stand bye" and then waiting 6 a year for the beep. :roflol: Don't get me wrong, it's very rewarding to look around at lunch time and see 400 of people who love the sport as you do, but the devil is in the details. Big matches are where the best made plans go to die.

I remember Ray and I had a moment together just before he left the range before game day. His eyes were blood-shoot, his back pockets were dragging the ground and I thought I saw a hint of a tick in his left eye! :unsure: After he shuffled off in the direction of his truck, I remember thinking... "It's good to be the AS MD." B)

For all you who want to be an MD at a major... :devil: Be careful, you just might get what you wish for and find out it's, not at all, what you wanted or thought it would be. ;)

JT

JT

I was long gone and had no problem getting my prize. Gotta get somebody to walk the table for you.

This year's match was one of the most fun area matches I've shot. It was challenging yet not so challenge to make it a pain to shoot! I like Barry's range and central location, I just hate that its in IL.

Corey is right... you just need a surrogate for the prize table. The website will be comprehensive in these matters.

If you hate having the match in Il, think how we feel having to live here. :P

I vote to bring Area 5 to a Central State or give it to the state who has the BIGGEST turn out of compeitors for a Section Match. :cheers:

I think that Jake Martens has done a phenomenal job and his replacement will have a challenge on his hands but to have near 300 competitors for a section 2 years in a row.

Successful!

Gonna miss ya Jake! :bow:

Question- Which state in Area 5 has hosted the A5 Match the most times?

Answer- Illinois

Why- Because IL has the ranges and most important the people who want to put the match on. If you want it in another state get your SC to find a range willing and able to do it. It's that simple to get it, it's just not that simple to actually run it.

As trivia note what state has hosted an Area Match that wasn't in their Area? Illinois did Area 3.

Rich

My little two cents,

I have been to 5 Area matches so far. And I like all of them, however Area 5 2011 in Barry, Il. was the one I am going to remember.

Stages were awesome, staff was great, food was excellent, there was even AC in a dinning room.

I am looking forward to next Area 5 match and I just hope to make it.

Thanks Area 5 organizers

Boy, I was sure hoping Area 5 was going to be at PASA again next year. I most likely won't make it if it's going to be that much further away. PASA is an awesome range and great facilities with lots of local RO's available. Maybe it'll be back there later.

Boy, I was sure hoping Area 5 was going to be at PASA again next year. I most likely won't make it if it's going to be that much further away. PASA is an awesome range and great facilities with lots of local RO's available. Maybe it'll be back there later.

You are about 10 minutes closer than me, coming from Ohio. :)

Which isn't too much different than me going to PASA.

Polo put on a good match before. It's worth checking out!

(BTW, I've been to Lake Wappapello a few times, when I was a kid. Dad lived in Ironton for a while)

You are about 10 minutes closer than me, coming from Ohio. :)

Which isn't too much different than me going to PASA.

Polo put on a good match before. It's worth checking out!

(BTW, I've been to Lake Wappapello a few times, when I was a kid. Dad lived in Ironton for a while)

WE had a great turnout last time at Polo and I think it was something like 80% of a poll voted to keep it there the following year. I just love the Smith & Wesson Hall though, esp that it has air and everyone can sit in there and cool off. Both facilities are great for holding an A5. I hope they will both be hosting it in the future. Time will tell....

Or should I say Tom, Frank or Kyle will tell. :)

JT

Jim,

I'm in favor of having a 1/2 day format. For us older guys; 8-9 hours on the

range in 80-90 degree heat is just to much.

Ron

There will indeed be a two day option... same as we came up with in 2010 and used in 2011. Fear not my friend, us old folk will have the option for two days, :)

JT

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome answer - 16 im there - 12 im not LOL - Double Tap Ranch is closer and the weekend before - so if its 12 stages im heading to DTR if its 16 im skipping DTR and heading to Area 5

Brandon,

It will be 12 stages and possibly a shoot off. The weather and things beyond control can make anything more than 12 a bit risky. Also, it's just brutal for those shooting in one day.

We hate to lose you though, but have a good time at DT. ;)

Best,

JT

Brandon,

It will be 12 stages and possibly a shoot off. The weather and things beyond control can make anything more than 12 a bit risky. Also, it's just brutal for those shooting in one day.

Best,

JT

What about round count? Near 300?

Thanks

Edited by PeterPan

Brandon,

Best,

JT

What about round count? Near 300?

Thanks

300 or greater... Basically, the round count will be the same as last year and the year before. I lean a bit toward larger field courses.

JT

Edited by JThompson

This year was my first Area 5 match and can say it was worth to drive 16hrs.

I like shooting long field courses, this is what IPSC is missing.

Looking forward to 2012, only 12hrs drive :goof:

It will be here before we know it Pete... been working on getting the website look and info changed. Still a work in progress, but getting there. No all I need is all the info to put on the damned thing. :unsure:

JT

This will go on the wish list for next summer. I'd like to attend an Area Match over the kids school break.

Brandon, I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and will be passing through Jackson, so if you want to ride with my three screaming kids for 13 hours, we can arrange that.