Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon 650 blowouts

I am either going to buy a 550 or 650 but everyone I know with a 650 (admittedly there are only 4 of them, but they have all done it - we all use federal primers -we are revolver shooters) has blown up a tube of primers, why doesnt this happen with the 550.

I have loaded a few thousand rounds on my Dillion 650. I have had about 4 primers go bang. All Federal Small Pistol. I have not had a tube full go. Since the WSR and WSP all seem to run just fine in my GLock and Sig and in my Revolvers, I no longer use Federal. I have crushed a WSR sideways, no idea how it got that way, but even then it did not detonate.

By a 650, keep it clean, don't try for the worlds record on reloads per hour and you should be just fine.

YMMV

Jim Norman

I've smashed some WSP primers pretty bad on my 650 and never had a boom. Probably just lucky. I don't have the problem as much now as I take more time and try to feel the primer seat each time.

I agree that it probably has a lot to do with trying to go too fast...

My .02

The 550 and 650 have totally different primer systems. The 650 has a "rotary dial" type primer dispenser while the 550 has a single primer slide. I honestly don't see how either can cause an entire tube to go BANG but they both have a blast shield so I guess it is possible. I have been reloading for 14 years with a 550 and recenlty added a 1050 and have never had a bang with either machine. I exclusively use Winchester primers and have horribly disfigured primers, in many ways, but not one has gone bang yet. Just lucky I guess.

Leo

I have to add my few cents. I have loaded over 6 yrs with my 650, and haven't set off any primers, either singularly or in the tube. I have used most brands, both big and small. I have crushed a few pretty severly, but operate the handle with a smooth controlled motion. I don't just move the handle hoping everything lines up. As in shooting where you need to see everything, when loading, I think you need to "feel" everything.

Mike

I should add that the Bangs in my 650 all occured on 9mm brass, and I'd say there was a better than even chance it was crimped. I suppose I should set up my old single stage and decap all my 9mm then decrimp it all before loading.

I will agree with Mike that you probably shouldn't be trying to set speed records. I find that teh shell plate doesn't always get to the correct position unless you give it a second or two to center up and lock in on the detent ball. This is my prime cause for disfigured primers.

Jim Norman

I'm there with Mike.

I think I'm up to about 25,000 rounds and no booms. I have mangled only a few primers. I use a smooth motion and concentrate on the feel. I don't go any faster than I can complete the fundamentals (Kinda like shooting!)

The key is to keep the primer feed clean and don't use a greasy lube. I use spray silicone or powdered graphite.

If you shoot a lot of military brass (regardless of caliber) you NEED a 1050. While the benefits of a 1050 (over a 650) do not show up on paper, or on a cost/bebefit analysis, the 1050 is THE machine for military brass with the integral primer swage.

Leo

I have to agree that if I were to shoot a lot of 9 or 223 military, I'd get a 1050.

As it is, I generally shot .40, .45, .38 Super and some .38 special/.357. If I get really carried away, I may load up some Cowboy loads for my.45 LC

Anyone want to sell a 1050? :-)

Jim

Thread drift alert:

I also used to get some sideways primers on my 650 and crush them into the pocket. The problem has almost entirely gone away once I moved my press to a more rigid mount that allowed no press movement during operation.

It happened to my buddy on his 650. Set off a whole tube of Federal SP. He had his handle all the way down and let go of it to do something (like check if he had a primer in the round under the powder station or something) and he thought it would stay down. It slammed back to to up position setting off the primers.

Has anyone else noticed that the Ka-Boom is always a friend or "someone I know"? Has anyone here had a 650 Ka-Boom personally? I will admit to having had two or three FSP primers detonate when seating in a 9MM case. The tube did not go. The primer went since at the best of my rememberence it was into a military 9 that I did not remove the crip from.

Jim

What Jim said and ...

It is often with Federal primers and for the precise reason that many use Federal primers ... because they are sensitive. Winchesters are more tolerant of abuse in the press (and in the gun).

Leo

Has anyone else noticed that the Ka-Boom is always a friend or "someone I know"? Has anyone here had a 650 Ka-Boom personally?

Jim,

according to this thread at least Jake, Bill and Doug had an explosive chain reaction in primer tubes, admittedly using Federal primers.

Ok, Question was asked and answered. HTere are forum members that have had personal Ka-Booms.

I read the posts there and there did not seem to be a consensus as to cause.

One item that was present in virtually all cases was Federal Primers.

Jim

What is the reason that so many people want to use Federal Primers. The chance of an unexpected detonation while reloading them seems seems a lot higher than the other manufacturers. I have always used CCI and have smashed, crushed, or squished many and never had a one go boom. I have only had a 650 for 3 months, but still have not had any chain reactions. I am switching to WSR next week, but would never go to Federal, just based on the number of stories of "friends that have had a primer explosion". I'm especially interested in NEVER seeing the entire primer tube go up in smoke. :(

Guest Larry Cazes

I saw a blown up Primer magazine from a 650 at a smiths shop last night! Not pretty! It peeled open down one side like a bananna. I have loaded upwards of 40K rounds on my 550B and not one detonated WSP/WLP primer.

Out of maybe 40K rounds on my 650 I had one primer pop in the seating station. Out of 35K on my 1050, not a one. A guy I know did have his 650 blow a tube one night.. he had pictures to prove it.. it trashed the primer follower rod and made a big black mark on the ceiling, but no other damage. One call to Dillon had a whole new primer assembly on it's way.

What is the reason that so many people want to use Federal Primers. The chance of an unexpected detonation while reloading them seems seems a lot higher than the other manufacturers. I have always used CCI and have smashed, crushed, or squished many and never had a one go boom. I have only had a 650 for 3 months, but still have not had any chain reactions. I am switching to WSR next week, but would never go to Federal, just based on the number of stories of "friends that have had a primer explosion". I'm especially interested in NEVER seeing the entire primer tube go up in smoke. :(

Shooting a Glock with a light trigger practically requires Federal primers for reliable ignition. So does shooting some revolver trigger jobs...

Guys, there is nothing wrong with Federal primers or the Priming system on the 650. It is simple, if you go too fast, have a case with some crimp left on the flash hole, get some debris in the priming area, the primer will not seat correctly. If you are going too fast and dont "feel" it in you can potentially crush the primer. I crushed CCI, WSP, and Federal with mine, all my fault, not the press or the primer. I was not paying attention to what I was doing, was tired cuz I waited to the last minute before leaving halfway across the US for a match, and what ever other excuse I came up with. All resulted in crushed primer. I had one go boom, and wreck the rod, was wsp I believe, all the federals I crushed were just crushed.

I now have the 1050 not just because of the primer system, but I sold my 650 and got a great deal on the 1050, plus I can load ammo faster on the 1050.........My experience and $.02 worth.('course now I am wishing I had the 650 cause GSI is making the bullet feeder for it first.......... <_< )

In over 12 years of reloading I have had one (1) primer detonate. It was my first month of reloading, I was using a Dillon Square Deal B and CCI small pistol primers in virgin 9mm brass.

It scared the heck out of me and after a call to Dillon the next morning, a new primer system arrived free of charge.

I have never had a detonation problem since (two SDB's and a 650). B)

I think the "bang" so early on in my reloading experience cautioned me into being very careful anytime the primer seating feels different in any way.

-Chet