Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000 Variance

kylethunder380

Hey guys, I know a lot of you have experienced slower jugs of Solo 1000 compared to 'older' lots. What I want to know: how much did you have to increase your powder charge to in order to reach the same velocity as your 'fast' jug(s)?

I recently got a new jug and have already increased my 'old jug' powder charge by 0.3 grains and am still not there. I'm assuming it's not going to take much more, but I wasn't expecting having to increase my charge by 0.5 grains! Now I'm going to be worrying about pressure.. eh. Really sucks because I absolutely LOVED my old jug of Solo 1000. Has anyone else had to deal with this amount of variance?

-Kyle

I had to go from ~3.4 to ~3.9. Somewhere on here I documented my "fast" & "slow" lot numbers too.

Just got a new cannister and need to get that out the chrono soon, only have a few K worth of my "fast" batch and wondering how the new batch compares.

My old lot was around 130 PF with 4.2g for a MG 124 CMJ. New lot using 4.6g is around 116 PF. I tried going up to 4.8g but the volume was too much IMO for a 9mm case. I still use the 4.6g load but I don't compete so it works for me as a training load. I'm not sure the slow jugs will make minor consistently unless you are using 135g or heavier bullet (due to case volume limitations).

Edited by TAP

Also keep in mind that Solo is reverse temp sensitive, If your having high temps like we are here in the mid west and trying to match a load worked up in cooler weather could be affecting results quit a bit.

Greg

but I wasn't expecting having to increase my charge by 0.5 grains! Now I'm going to be worrying about pressure.. eh. Really sucks because I absolutely LOVED my old jug of Solo 1000. Has anyone else had to deal with this amount of variance?

-Kyle

I called Accuratte about this a while back. He said that if the FPS is the same the pressure is the same. Don't worry about it basically. This was their tech support guy. He seemed very knowledgeable. I talked to him several times about several different loads.

I called Accuratte about this a while back. He said that if the FPS is the same the pressure is the same. Don't worry about it basically. This was their tech support guy. He seemed very knowledgeable. I talked to him several times about several different loads.

Any chance you asked him why it is so inconsistent from lot to lot?

The answer I got From Johann was that S1000 was intended for shotguns, and the performance between lots was acceptable for shotguns and within their parameters.

That's some dumb marketing! They have lost a 'lot' of business because of the inconsistencies. Personally, I don't mind spending the time with a chrono every 8lbs. The results of using Solo 1000 is well worth it.:cheers:

I don't know. It's intended market is a shotgun powder, and Accurate thinks it is not a good choice for .40 powder, and markets their pistol powders for pistol reloaders. If some yahoos don't follow my recs for my products, I won't go out of my way to tell my tech people to convince the yahoos that acceptable variance in the intended use is not a problems in the yahoo use.

I like S1000 for price, burn rate and relative clean/cool burn. 8 lbs loads a lot, and I don't mind testing either.

I like S1000 for price, burn rate and relative clean/cool burn. 8 lbs loads a lot, and I don't mind testing either.

Let's don't forget the soft felt recoil. And the lack of smoke with FMJ.

Edited by atbarr

Any chance you asked him why it is so inconsistent from lot to lot?

Yes, at the time he said it was not really meant for pistol but for shotgun. Also, something about a new plant.

OP, what is your lot number on your jug?

I can't seem to find a lot number on my old/fast/empty can?

Well that makes me feel a bit better anyways. Thanks for the info.

Also keep in mind that Solo is reverse temp sensitive, If your having high temps like we are here in the mid west and trying to match a load worked up in cooler weather could be affecting results quit a bit.

No, this was in the evening so the temp was quite moderate.

Capt Obvious sez: Remember kids, it's the temp of the powder inside the case that is important, not the ambient temp. If ammo sits inside a hot car at work until you get off to shoot in the cool evening that powder will be quite a bit warmer than the air.

The answer I got From Johann was that S1000 was intended for shotguns, and the performance between lots was acceptable for shotguns and within their parameters.

I have a friend that uses Solo 1000 for his AP loads and called them a couple years ago and got the same response.

Greg

Capt Obvious sez: Remember kids, it's the temp of the powder inside the case that is important, not the ambient temp. If ammo sits inside a hot car at work until you get off to shoot in the cool evening that powder will be quite a bit warmer than the air.

I don't remember saying anything about leaving it in a hot car. The only thing 'obvious' from your reply is your patronizing tone. Knock it off.

-Kyle

I don't remember saying anything about leaving it in a hot car. The only thing 'obvious' from your reply is your patronizing tone. Knock it off.

-Kyle

I wasn't patronizing you. I was pointing out that ambient temp may not be the same as the powder temp, and thinking of a case that I discussed with a guy that did that very thing. The Capt Obvious bit was in self-deprecating jest.

I have done "back to back" tests. Solo 1000: Lot 1930 was 4% slower than lot 1624, all things equal, shot back to back same day. Lot 1624 tested after being kept at room temp and transported to the range sitting on the dash in the sun was 1% slower than same ammo batch kept in my 0 F freezer overnite and transported to the range in a cooler and shot the same day.

My old lot was around 130 PF with 4.2g for a MG 124 CMJ. New lot using 4.6g is around 116 PF. I tried going up to 4.8g but the volume was too much IMO for a 9mm case. I still use the 4.6g load but I don't compete so it works for me as a training load. I'm not sure the slow jugs will make minor consistently unless you are using 135g or heavier bullet (due to case volume limitations).

Winding up near a compressed load at 4.6 ?? I thought it would have happened a lot sooner than 4.6.

Edited by cnote