Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25

Loves2Shoot

Yes, I'll never be on TV doing this, but I've had a few requests to show the pistol in detail a but more, so here is my shot at it.

The gun has a nice balance to it. I adjusted my loads to 130 pf with 125 rn and VV320 and it still shoots very accurately, I'm going to try some 147 and see if it isn't too soft and is as accurate. I like some recoil between shoots so I pay attention. The adjustable sight is very nice, and there are .100 and .125 wide front sights in stock for it, so you can pick your preference. I was using a .100, but will be swapping to a .125 for some IDPA I have coming up, as I'm a little slower with the wide sight but I think I am a little more accurate. I was very surprised to see the video on the 50 yard offhand shots when we got back on the video, after missing the first shot, seeing the next two come in on the target together was pretty cool.

I can't wait until I can buy some of these.

You did a fine job, Scott. :cheers:

Thank you for the time and effort!

Before changing barrels it is wise to shoot the factory barrel, if it shows good accuracy then have it refitted. I've seen quite a few refitted factory barrels out perform after market barrels(same gun). Another must check on barrels is different bullets/loads.

Rich

Rich I had one of your Tactical 9 xd's several years ago, and it shot 147's very well. I saw Rob posted about having the barrel refitted, what is involved in that? I'd hate to spend $800 bucks and a gun like this and have it not be accurate. Also When you start selling them yourself, will the barrel's be refitted? Don't know if the one I got from you before was refitted or not, but it was damn accurate. I'm shooting the Nationals with my CZ, sold my M&P because it wasn't accurate, but may want to purchase a 5.25xdm and bring it for a backup if they are approved before the Nationals.

Very high bore axis as compared to others in it's category. (Glock, and M&P) That's the main reason, the aesthetics never really appealed to me either. I think that the loaded chamber indicators all over the place are a little too much sugar for a dime. I think that it is a very good self defense gun, but it was never built for competition until this one. I still don't prefer the aesthetics and I don't like the high bore axis. I may just be falling for the marketing on this one to be honest. I think that the trigger is probably better out of the box than the glock or the stock M&P. The m&p pro has a nice trigger out of the box and even the 9L is easily upgraded with drop n apex parts. I'm not really sure what all is involved in upgrading the trigger on one of these.

I don't want to start a "which is better" argument, just stating that fact that something about this one in particular piques my interest.

Plans right now are to do a model with the following upgrades- trigger job, extended release, tungsten guide rod, traction grip treatment, front sight, profiled rear, frame to slide/barrel fit, and all metal parts with "Canyon Blue" finish. Non Production options will include 60 degree border cuts, mag well, coffin cover, serrations, ...............

Rich

And do I hear me three......

Prediction is 13-15 maybe. If you look at the CCC web site a production ready XDM in 9 mm - the regular XDM is 1250 so doing the math one would think the number predicted. Would be great if if was less though. I don't mind being wrong in this case.

Hey Ya'll,

Feel I need to throw in a bit of info. I had talked about the refitting of the barrel for matches like the Bianchi Cup where accuracy is vital. Much of what I wrote was assuming the 5.25 would benefit like all other polymer pistols as they have large clearance tolerances for reliability, which could hinder accuracy. The barrels on 5.25 are not fit the same as the rest, they are much tighter. What this may ultimately do to reliability I can't say yet as I am right at 4500 rounds through mine now, with not a single malfunction. I have not yet cleaned it but lube it regularly. My accuracy with the loads it likes is hovering around 4-5 inches at 50 yards. Mine is also not as tight as others I have since handled. I will not be refitting the barrel on this gun since I can shoot A zone head shots at 25 on the uspsa target at will, and don't think it being a little better will really help.

Am now working up loads for the steel challenge. The gun shoots very, very well with 115 Nosler JHP's with enough Tite-Group to make 1030 FPS. No spring changes except for testing both CCC and Springer reduced power striker springs. The lightest from both are reliable with Federal primers, but the WW primers need the medium red spring from CCC.

May now clean the gun as it's getting pretty nasty inside!

Rob