Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

using once fired glock brass

unit30

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glocks are generally thought of as having looser chambers, so brass shot out of a Glock will have a bit of a bulge where the base of the case sits above the feed ramp of the barrel. It is very dependent on the barrel because my G35 chamber is tighter than the after market barrel I bought for it because I shoot a lot of Moly bullets.

De-Glocking the brass is taking that bulge out of the case. I will also state that many of the cases that I have the most difficulty sizing do not have rectangular firing pin marks. Glocks have a rectangular firing pin.

Edited by Poppa Bear

I don't think it's as much of a looser chamber as much as the Glock .40's originally had a gap at the base of the chamber where the feed ramp was. I think that they've corrected this in later models, but the "Glock Bulge" was due to this section of the brass that had no chamber around it. Hence the "unsupported chamber".

I don't think it's as much of a looser chamber as much as the Glock .40's originally had a gap at the base of the chamber where the feed ramp was. I think that they've corrected this in later models, but the "Glock Bulge" was due to this section of the brass that had no chamber around it. Hence the "unsupported chamber".

This is true but the newest Gen 3 versions have a fully supported chamber. However, the chamber is on the loose side and the brass looks slightly barrel shaped after firing. No more pregnant guppy look, though, and that is definitely good.

Take care,

Dave

This is true but the newest Gen 3 versions have a fully supported chamber. However, the chamber is on the loose side and the brass looks slightly barrel shaped after firing. No more pregnant guppy look, though, and that is definitely good.

Take care,

Dave

I just starting reloading...will just running them through the normal process work or do I need a bulge buster (have no clue what that is, met a shooter at the range said he ran his through... I stood there going oh ok, not understanding a thing :surprise:

Take care,

Dave

I just starting reloading...will just running them through the normal process work or do I need a bulge buster (have no clue what that is, met a shooter at the range said he ran his through... I stood there going oh ok, not understanding a thing :surprise:

It all depends on what dies you use to reload... I reload with square deal B and the dies dont go all the way down the case when resizing. So I have to run them thru the lee bulge buster first then run them thru the square deal... I dont think this is a problem with reloading presses that use standard size dies.

Edited by RippSpeed

I have just finished switching my 650 over to .40 and have gotten my case prep toolhead set up and running. I decided to run a separate toolhead for case prep and use the Dillon size die in the #1 station and an EGW U die in station 4. I have the casefeeder so running the brass thru and using a light dusting of One Shot makes it really crank along. I played with the dies until they were just about touching the shellplate with the press loaded with cases. Using an EGW 7 round case gauge, I adjusted until resized cases would fall in and out of the case gauge. They were not reliably fitting until I got both sizing dies adjusted all the way down. This is using Glocked brass for testing purposes. I am shooting both Glocks and a Brazos STI-type .40 so I need the cases sized for use in a tighter chamber.

I'll report back once I get the loading toolhead up and running

I read through this thread and want to ensure I'm doing this right before I start. I've got an earlier model Glock 22 (purchased new in 2003) and I'm using RCBS carbide dies. Will I need the bulge buster, or will this suffice?

Try it and find out. Really no other way. Grab some cases, lube 'em up and run 'em through the resizing station of your press.

Take those cases and see how well they fit in a chamber gauge or the chamber of your G22. It they fit, your gtg. If not, get the Bulge Buster.

Take care,

Dave

And welcome to the forums !!

Edited by Taildraggerdave

I read through this thread and want to ensure I'm doing this right before I start. I've got an earlier model Glock 22 (purchased new in 2003) and I'm using RCBS carbide dies. Will I need the bulge buster, or will this suffice?

Try it and find out. Really no other way. Grab some cases, lube 'em up and run 'em through the resizing station of your press.

Take those cases and see how well they fit in a chamber gauge or the chamber of your G22. It they fit, your gtg. If not, get the Bulge Buster.

Take care,

Dave

And welcome to the forums !!

Thanks Dave. That's what I was figuring. This will be a great learning experience.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a difference between glocked brass and glock smiles. If they have smiles they are done (this is the brass that the Lee disclaimer is aimed at). If reused they could fail. Glocked brass comes out with a bulge at the base that is out to the chamber dimension (.434-.435 in my g20).

I use the Lee BB and FCD to prep all of my .40 brass. Yes, it is an extra step but I have had 100% feeding by this method.

I load on a Dillon 550, with a Lee sizing die in the first stage, and regular Dillon dies in the other 3. All my loads easily pass through the case guage. I did have issues using the Dillon sizing die.

Good luck.

Rick

I load on a Dillon 550, with a Lee sizing die in the first stage, and regular Dillon dies in the other 3. All my loads easily pass through the case guage. I did have issues using the Dillon sizing die.

Good luck.

Rick

But what case gauge are you using? If it is a Dillon gauge you could be fine, but if you were to stick it in an EGW gauge it might not pass. I don't have a Dillon .40 gauge (am using an EGW gauge) but there is a substantial difference between my 9mm gauges by EGW and Dillon. Anything that is too snug in the EGW drops right in and out of the Dillon 9mm gauge. All depends on what you plan on shooting it thru

You can save money by using the barrel of your weapon as a "case gauge". After all, that is what you are reloading for, not a case gauge !!!

True, but when loading for different guns, you need to:

a. Figure out which of your guns has the tightest chamber; or

b. Use a case gauge, which will likely be the tightest.

I use an EGW 50-holer for my loads. I generally load in large lots (1000 rds. plus), so I can't imagine using the barrel or a one-at-the-time case gauge. They're a little expensive, but fast as heck.

The alternative (not gauging the rounds) is not an option for me because I don't keep separate "match" and "practice" piles of ammo. I only keep "long-loaded" for the STIs & Single-Stacks and "short-loaded" for the Glocks. That may change soon, because my supply of once-fired Federal Hydra-Shock brass is getting a little low....