Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

using once fired glock brass

unit30

I've heard mixed things about this topic. I plan on using once fired police brass (90% Glock fired) with Precision 180 FMJ and Titegroup for a major PF load. I do not plan on reloading the brass after the second shot. I will be firing these rounds out of a factory G35 barrel. I do not have a full length resizing die to get the buldge out. Is it safe to shoot a major PF load one time out of these cases? I'm sure it would be better to just spend the money and get a resizing die but would like to do it without if safe.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run all my range 40 brass thru a Lee Buldge Buster on a single stage press, the LBB has a carbide sizing ring and costs less than the Redding GRX without. Throw away the FCD guts, just sayin.

I don't even do that I run them straight through the press. I use a Redding die to size and deprime and a Redding die to crimp. In between I am using either Lee or RCBS for the belling and the seating. I have tried these loads in several different .40's and they all chamber just fine. I will admit though that 3 or 4 out of 100 do not size properly so I toss them right away. I can tell as I am bringing the handle down and I feel extra resistance at the end of the down stroke. When I look at the case there is now a ring just above the extractor groove. They will not chamber with that groove so in the garbage they go.

A fairly large percentage of the 40 brass I shoot was originally fired in a Glock, I reload using a standard Dillon die set and haven't had any problems at all, as long as your loads are moderate there shouldn't be a problem, if you try to max load them you could have a big problem.

Loaded my first .40 major rounds last night.

180 grain FMJ Precision Delta

4.7 grains titegroup

WSP primer

1.135 OAL

.420 crimp

I'm going to load some with 4.3 grains first and see where it is at on the chrono. My Lee disks will only allow 4.4 or 4.7. I would imagine it will either have to be a 4.4 with a shorter OAL to meet PF or 4.7 with as long as I can fit in the magazine.

4.7 grains titegroup

WSP primer

1.135 OAL

.420 crimp

I'm going to load some with 4.3 grains first and see where it is at on the chrono. My Lee disks will only allow 4.4 or 4.7. I would imagine it will either have to be a 4.4 with a shorter OAL to meet PF or 4.7 with as long as I can fit in the magazine.

Did a chamber check on in my factory barrel and they dropped in and out pretty easily.

• 4 weeks later...

I run all my range 40 brass thru a Lee Buldge Buster on a single stage press, the LBB has a carbide sizing ring and costs less than the Redding GRX without. Throw away the FCD guts, just sayin.

Are you running brass only through this setup? When I first started loading .40 using range brass I would find maybe 15 to 20 or less out of 100 rounds wouldnt fit in the case gauge. Started researching on how to remove the Bulge at bottom of case, I came up with the redding G-RX die first but the problem with it is it only works on unloaded brass and I never know if my brass is bulged until loaded. Also the regular Redding die for around $35.00 isnt carbide, the carbide one is around $65.00. The only way I could figure to use this setup was to either size all my brass then run it through the Redding die slowing my reloading process to much, or reloading all my rounds normally and the one that didnt fit in case gauge would have to be pulled resized and run through the Redding die. These methods didnt sound to good to me so with further research I came up with using a gutted Lee factory crimp die and the Lee bulge buster kit. I called Lee as I wanted to make sure this setup would work for loaded ammo and was told it was designed for this as the pusher on the bulge buster kit is hollow under the primer and makes no contact with the primer on loaded round. This whole setup carbide factory crimp die and bulge buster kit cost around $35.00, not counting the single stage press I have it mounted in. The bulge buster kit comes with instructions on what parts to remove from the FCD and a plastic bullet catcher, I know you can have a sizing die made that runs farther down on case but I prefer only giving extra sizing to brass that needs it.

Why does .40 shot thru a Glock bulge the bottom of the case?

david

I have been told there is a unsupported area at bottom of case head when round is chambered especially on older .40's

+1 on the Lee Bulge buster been sizing all my 40's threw it and works great in my wife's CZ Tactical sport zeros issue's

Yes it does slow down the process but the piece of mind i get with knowing it will be good to go match day is worth it to me.

I use Dillon .40 sizing dies both on my 550b and my square deal presses, they are set up the way the book says. I called the Dillon rep when I had problems with occasional failure to feed he said my dies were set right (over the phone) and to lube my cases, a little better on my arm but still (range brass) maybe 15 or less out of 100 wouldnt fit in case gauge and out of those 15 or so that didnt fit case gauge at least half wouldnt chamber in my barrels. Maybe the chambers on my guns (STI) or a little tighter than yours, when I shoot brass shot from my guns or other 1911 style guns I have no problems at all. I have enough problems when shooting in competion and I want my equipment and ammo to be 100% so any bad stages are my fault. Actually loading bad ammo would fall into the my fault category. With that being said I am always open to a better way of sizing my brass, but I wont get rid of the chamber checking step its worth the extra couple of minutes to me...during the case check process Ive found cases that were split, high primers...etc.

4.7 grains titegroup

WSP primer

1.135 OAL

.420 crimp

What brand of resizing die did you use?

Why does .40 shot thru a Glock bulge the bottom of the case?

david

I have been told there is a unsupported area at bottom of case head when round is chambered especially on older .40's

Yes, SAAMI specs indicate that a 40 S&W chamber should have a fully supported chamber (due to the round's high pressure), but Glock chose to ignore that for their 40 caliber barrels, because it makes the gun easier to feed more reliably.

:angry2:

I use a lot of glocked 40 brass in my XDM. I run them through a Lee Carbide die and go as low as I can on my 550. Never had an issue. I see the "line" where the die has run over the case and where it ended on the case, but I have had no issues.

I use glocked 40 brass in my 4.5 XDm 40 as well with no issues. I use all Dillon dies I got from Brian here on a Dillon 650. The only issues I have had is the brass getting stuck when dropping out of my tube feeder into the first station. I just watch it carefully and push then though with an allen wrench and manually insert it into the first station. I get this on about 2 or 3 per 100.

I have never had any issues with them in my XDm once they are loaded.

Chris

I just recently purchased a second hand Lee Bulge buster to fix the Glock 40sw brass... I hated Glocks after 1200rds thru the bulge buster but then my buddy told me to use lanoline as case lube. And that made it really really easy for the next 2000rds...

But, after I started reloading the fixed brass; I had to adjust the oal again because it was easier to run thru my dillon square deal...

Lee Bulge Buster and case lube makes it super easy to run bulged out glock 40sw brass...