Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

using once fired glock brass

unit30

Ive loaded at least 8000 rounds of .40 using range brass and my picked up brass at best the most Ive found that didnt gauge was maybe 15 out of 100 are you runnig your brass through the Bulge Buster before you load or after bullets are loaded?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive loaded at least 8000 rounds of .40 using range brass and my picked up brass at best the most Ive found that didnt gauge was maybe 15 out of 100 are you runnig your brass through the Bulge Buster before you load or after bullets are loaded?

I run them thru after they're cleaned and before they hit my square deal...

I run mine through a case check gauge after loading process on my square deal and my 550 press, the ones that dont fit are run through my bulge buster and gutted Lee FCD, sometimes I dont get any that dont fit other times I guess depending on range brass I might get 10% that have to be run through bulge buster. I guess most of the time the bulge is removed by the sizing die. The Lee rep. said bulge buster was perfectly safe to use on loaded ammo.

I run mine through a case check gauge after loading process on my square deal and my 550 press, the ones that dont fit are run through my bulge buster and gutted Lee FCD, sometimes I dont get any that dont fit other times I guess depending on range brass I might get 10% that have to be run through bulge buster. I guess most of the time the bulge is removed by the sizing die. The Lee rep. said bulge buster was perfectly safe to use on loaded ammo.

Oohh ok I have to get the terminalogy correct. I case check(chamber check) all my rounds after I run them thru the square deal. So I run them thru the bulge buster after cleaning; then on the dillon square deal and then chamber check them with my egw case checker...

I can tell as I am bringing the handle down and I feel extra resistance at the end of the down stroke. When I look at the case there is now a ring just above the extractor groove. They will not chamber with that groove so in the garbage they go.

Well that explains why I've been getting the same.

IMG_9340.jpg

It's funny though, that I only run into a few out of 100 that do this since I shoot a G35.

I shoot glock brass in my glock all the time. (my own mostly). With a minor loading (I shoot IDPA) I've had no problems (about 10K rounds). I haven't been changing lots of brass until the primers start falling out or I get enough splits during belling to be a P.I.T.A.

EWG U-die, Dillon equipment. (F.W.I.W.)

• 2 months later...

+1

Several years ago I was finding around 15-20% of 'glocked brass' in the 40S&W round wouldn't chamber in either my G23 or my S&W 610 revolver. Regardless of how the 650 Dillon dies were set, they would not resolve this issue despite hours of messing with various adjustments.

Finally I came upon the Lee FCD, which installed on Station 5, now has resolved the problem.

Haven't seen the newer designs talked about above.

The dies you use can make a big difference. I used to use a set of RCBS dies to size with and never had a case with a ring after trying to size it. Went to the Redding dies and now a have the occasional ring at the base but I never have a problem with a case not gauging as long as I do not get the ring during the sizing operation. I also know that if I had a different set of RXBS dies I might have the occasional ring and everything would gauge, tolerances are such that even 1/10,000 of an inch could make a difference by the time it gets to the base of the case.

Back when 40 first came out, there was a HORRIBLE problem with sizing dies turning up a burred ring like that shown in the picture above. Turns out that without a good radius on the entryway into the die, the carbide ring was coming down so far that it was attempting to resize solid brass in the web of the case. Solid brass won't resize and the brass had to go somewhere, so it just pushed a bit of brass into that burr.

Dillon's first advice was "leave 'a nickel's space' between the shellplate and the bottom of the size die". They've since increased the radius.

I had a friend who ruined 2000 rounds of once-fired 40 doing that.

This has never been a problem for me, I just run all my brass though my SDB an shoot it though any of my guns. :cheers:

When I first started reloading .40 I had a hard time with glocked range brass. I was not lubing the brass then and a call to Dillon set me straight. Since I've started to use "One Shot"lube on the cases, I have had absolutely no problems. I use one of my SDB's and the resulting cartridges chamber in my custom STI Limited 2011. I've loaded and shot about 5000 rounds of range brass without a hiccup. I don't even bother chamber or gauge checking my finished rounds. If they go thru the SDB, they'll work in my gun. (With my luck, having said that, I'll probably have all sorts of problems this weekend!!)

I shoot Glock brass in all calibers in My STI Eagle 40, Springfield EMP 9mm and 45 not issues using a Dillion FL sizing die. I load any ammo for my matches on a single stage press though so they are all the exact same and trim them to length as well.

4.8gr Titegroup

Nickel Brass

1.135 OAL

.840 TTL

Slight Crimp

950 FPS

STI Eagle 5.0

Edited by deerassassin22

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a little experimenting in the garage today with my Dillon resizing die and the EGW Udie on glocked and non-glocked cases. I had some range pickups that I ran thru the dillon first and the glocked ones would not case gauge in my EGW 7 round block. Non-glocked cases dropped in and out freely. The glocked cases that wouldn't gauge were then run thru the EGW Udie and they then gauged and dropped out freely. I do not have a Dillon .40 single case gauge so I do not know if the cases sized thru the Dillon die only would pass in the Dillon gauge. I know the 9mm EGW gauge runs a little tighter than the Dillon 9mm gauge. My 9mm ammo that is just shy of gauging in the EGW drops in and out freely in the Dillon 9mm gauge. Those same rounds drop in and out of my Glock 9mm barrels and have fired perfect so far. I am getting my new Brazos .40 pistol in a few weeks so we will see how the .40 ammo does in the chamber of the Brazos. I will load some dummy rounds once I switch over my 650 to .40 and try it both ways and see if the Dillon sized ammo fits the tighter chamber of the Brazos gun or if they will have to be run thru the Udie.

I have to say, the brass that is run thru the Udie really seems to have a bit of a "waist" appearance...I wonder if that is going to be hard on the brass long term???

Another +1 for the Lee Bulge Buster. Works well and is cheap.

My EGW case gauge is definitely tighter than my chamber in my stock G35 barrel.

I have at this point pushed all the cases through the BB with some One Shot on them. Takes a few minutes to push a hundred through so it's no big deal on time.

Then reload as normal.

I may try a batch here that doesn't go through the BB and see what I get. I've done a bunch like this before and would occasionally get a cartridge that was too

large for the EGW, but I didn't think to barrel check it instead. Given the generous chamber sizing, I imagine they would fit.

The newest Gen 3 .40 barrels are almost fully supported now so the brass has some overall growth to it but not the pregnant guppy look that you used to get.

Take care,

Dave

All my 40 S&W brass is once-fired police brass. 40/60 mix of nickel & brass Speer & Federal. All shot out of Glocks. On my 550 I use the Dillon Carbide resize/deprime die and Lee FCD and have no problems. I case check loaded rounds in an EGW 7 round case checker and on a rare occasion might have one that will not drop in. All my brass show the ring after running it through the FDC die. Reloaded cases multiple times without any problems or ill affects. I shoot a custom single stack with unsupported barrel in SS & Limited 10.

Load:

Brass or Nickel cases

5.0 gr. Titegroup

155gr. Berry Plated HBRN

CCI #100 Primers

OAL 1.134

Avg 10 shot velocity 1085FPS

Avg 10 shot PF 168.21

Brass or Nickel cases

5.1 gr. Titegroup

155gr. Berry Plated HBRN

CCI #100 Primers

OAL 1.134

Avg 10 shot velocity 1098FPS

Avg 10 shot PF 170.22

Edited by 40S&W

• 2 weeks later...

quick method: EGW U-die in the sizing/decapping station of my Dillon 550B

longer method: Run brass through Lee Bulge Buster on a single stage press, then run through my Dillon 550B

Haven't had an issue shooting the brass through glock's, tanfoglio's, my Para, Browning HP.

Z-

• 4 weeks later...

I run all my range 40 brass thru a Lee Buldge Buster on a single stage press, the LBB has a carbide sizing ring and costs less than the Redding GRX without. Throw away the FCD guts, just sayin.

THe Lee Bulge buster says not to use on Glock brass. I was going to do this until I read that. Any problems or thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I run all my range 40 brass thru a Lee Buldge Buster on a single stage press, the LBB has a carbide sizing ring and costs less than the Redding GRX without. Throw away the FCD guts, just sayin.

THe Lee Bulge buster says not to use on Glock brass. I was going to do this until I read that. Any problems or thoughts?

More disclaimer crap....

The Bulge Buster works fine at exactly what it was designed for, removing the Glock bulge.

Take care,

Dave