Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me set up my SA Target for single stack

sqrlnts

Just jumped into single stack with my first 1911, a Springfield Loaded Target in .45 Looking to convert the front to a fiber optic, which one is the best value and fits best? I really liked my orange .150 on my CZ. I hate to lose the front night sight but I already know that it won't show up against the white steel at night. Can someone tell me what magazines this gun likes, not what you like but the gun!!! :ph34r: Lets just start with that. Thanks in advance.

Just some additional findings here. The grip safety bites kind of hard on the web of my hand, anything I can DIY to relieve this? Also, what springs can I install to help lighten up the trigger pull?

post-21974-0-28992700-1309506213_thumb.j

Edited by sqrlnts

I had the same gun for a while - swapped out the sights for a Dawson FO front and a modified STI rear adjustable target sight. Also installed EGW trigger kit, STI Ti strut...the trigger was horrible in the original state - gritty, heavy, etc. I was running Chip McCormick Power Plus mags. Those worked, but I would probably try some Wilson or Tripp mags...I currently run Tripps in my current STI and they run great.

Used a BlackHawk CQC holster - cheap and adjustable - with BladeTech single stack double mag pouches with TekLock system.

OH, also replaced the pins with an EGW pin kit...didn't care for the MIM stuff that was in the gun...cheap, rough, and cheap. As far as grip safety, maybe have a good smith look at it to remove a little material to your liking.

Just some additional findings here. The grip safety bites kind of hard on the web of my hand, anything I can DIY to relieve this? Also, what springs can I install to help lighten up the trigger pull?

Order this along with a wilson beavertail

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16454/Product/1911_AUTO_BEAVERTAIL_FITTING_JIG

fits over the frame and you file it so it no longer bites when a wilson is installed, i used to have ed brown, but they were more geared towards colt pistols in my opinion. (on a springfield the ed brown needed a bead weld on the top of the grip safety/frame to add material just to grind)

Been shooting the same model in SS for 3 or 4 years now.

Here is how MY gun is set up---YMMV:

Techwell grips and magwell. The medium sized one.

Cylinder and slide trigger kit.

Dawson .100 FO front sight

Stock rear sight. Bevel the corners of the blade--they are like razor blades.

Aluminum mainspring housing. Gets rid of the lock BS, helps make weight. 41.6 0Z with a

magazine , fits the box just fine.

Stock full length guiderod, 14 lb recoil spring.

Piece of skateboard tape on the frontstrap

S_I trigger--wanted to try some different inserts

Using some old McCormick mags, would probably go Tripp if I were buying new ones.

1911's really need a proper trigger job. Tweaking of the three finger spring in the grip CAN make the trigger only slightly easier. A reduced power mainspring can also make the trigger slightly easier. Neither of these will help much and I must warn you, tweaking of the spring, if you don't know what you are doing, will almost certainly lead to disaster.

A good trigger job can be had for around $50 if you hunt around.

Take a belt sander to the grip til it fits your hand to your liking then have it refinished. That's what a smith would do.

1911's really need a proper trigger job. Tweaking of the three finger spring in the grip CAN make the trigger only slightly easier. A reduced power mainspring can also make the trigger slightly easier. Neither of these will help much and I must warn you, tweaking of the spring, if you don't know what you are doing, will almost certainly lead to disaster.

A good trigger job can be had for around $50 if you hunt around.

I would agree that you could do the trigger work yourself but could lead to disaster. I would almost say that it could be cheaper going to a gunsmith and having them work on the trigger, i would hate to do all that work and have a worse trigger not to mention the potential for a unsafe gun, and have to take it to a gunsmith to fix it. Which the fix job could cost more than the initial trigger job.

Do a search on the ILS mainspring housing. If yours still has that, start there. A 19lb mainspring and the rest of the innards for the mainspring housing will make a world of difference for the trigger if your gun has the ILS. You can replace the whole mainspring housing or just get the inside parts.

I really like the wilson ETM mags for 45's, and I'd guess your gun would too, but I guess I really wouldn't know...

I bought the same gun a couple of months back. I changed the mainspring for an Ed Brown 19#, got rid of the ILS crap, and put in a Cylinder & Slide sear spring. That took my trigger pull from about 6.5 lbs. to 4.5lbs. It's also much easier to manually cock the hammer and rack the slide.

I added a Dawson FO (0.100") front sight and Wilson Combat Extended Slide Stop. These changes have made the gun much faster and more enjoyable to shoot. I'm running stock Springfield mags (work great) and McCormick 10 round mags. I've only run about 200 rounds through the McCormicks, and have had a few FTF. I'm withholding judgement on those until I have more rounds through them.

Good advice so far. I have the non target loaded. I love this gun. Dawson front sight is as good as it gets. Mine runs very good with Chip McCormick 8 round power mags. I have a Tripp and I cant get it to run. CMCs are easy to get and cheap.

Dawson Precision lists .160, .180, and .200 height for fiber optic front sights. How do I know which height is right for my gun, do I just measure my current front sight post and match it?

Edited by sqrlnts

i use the ETM's..have 15 of them,BUT you may want to see if any of the local shooters around have some mags you can try out..some 1911's are all trail and error when it comes to mags..

Edited by GmanCdp

Shot my first steel match last night. My gun hates 200gr moly coated SWC bullets. I am currently using shooting star 8rnd mags and a 14lbs recoil spring but, also tried a Wilson ETM mag and it jammed up with these reloads as well. I find it hard to believe (not impossible) that this bullet design is even considered. I don't feel like messing with OAL to get them to run, will use them for training. I am moving on to 230gr Frontier RN bullets. Does anyone have any pet loads for Vhit N320 with a recommended OAL?

Also still looking for an answer on the Dawson FO front sight post height??

Measure how tall your current sight is, and buy the same one. Or, Dawson's website should say if the front is for a fixed or adjustable rear. Buy the one that matches your rear sight.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, shot my third match and things are getting better. I now have my mag holsters setup properly. I really need to replace the front sight with the FO as it is hard to pickup the front blade during night steel matches. I searched for the ILS m ainspring housing but could not find much on replacing it, will create a seperate post for this.

I loaded up 16 dummy rounds so I can practice reloads with proper weight, just need to get on it.

On another post someone said they are running 3.8 grains of N320 behind a 230 RN bullet, I am very curious if this makes major PF? I am currently running 4.8 grains of N320 but would love to soften up the load a bit. I think I will work up some progressivly lighter loads and see how they run.

I’ve been shooting the same gun for a few years now and it’s proved quite trouble free. In response to some of your questions:

Mags: I shoot with Wilson 47D mags with extended pads. These run great in my gun, no problems at all. They’re easy to disassemble and service and replacement parts are easily available if needed. The only mod I’ll suggest is to lightly bevel and polish the top edge of the magazine body where it contacts the magazine catch as its being inserted into the gun.

Springs: I’m using a Wolff 19# main spring and a Wolff 13# recoil spring. I originally tuned the trigger pull to 3.5 lbs, as I got more confident in my gun handling skills I’ve dropped it down to 2.5 lbs. I got a very nice result without touching any sear surfaces. There are light pressure sear springs available. If you plan on doing any trigger work yourself I’d suggest you get a trigger pull gauge.

Ammo: 4.8 gr WST, 230 gr Frontier plated RN bullet, 1.235 OAL. Pay attention to your OAL with frontier bullets, the bullet profile requires deeper seating that other RN designs. This load makes major PF (plus) in my gun.

Mods to gun: Dawson fiber optic sight (.190H x .125W) STI titanium hammer strut, S&A MSH/magwell, Wilson tungsten recoil spring guide, Wilson buffer, Wilson slide stop, VZ grips and 3M stair tread tape on the front strap. As-is this gun weighs 43 oz.

Edited by clayman

My SS gun is set up as follows:

Dawson Fo front .100

Dawson adjustable rear

VZ Alien Grips

Checkmate Industries SS 8 rnd Magazines

Blade Tech Kydex holster with Tecklock

Safari Land 073 SS mag pouches

STI Medium Flat trigger

Extreme Engineering Trigger components

Shot my first steel match last night. My gun hates 200gr moly coated SWC bullets. I am currently using shooting star 8rnd mags and a 14lbs recoil spring but, also tried a Wilson ETM mag and it jammed up with these reloads as well. I find it hard to believe (not impossible) that this bullet design is even considered. I don't feel like messing with OAL to get them to run, will use them for training. I am moving on to 230gr Frontier RN bullets. Does anyone have any pet loads for Vhit N320 with a recommended OAL?

I have never tried the molly coated SWC, however I use 230g rn and 200G RNHB molly coated from Bear Creek Bullets and never had any issues in all 3 of my SS guns. I have tried plated SWC in my Kimber and they don't feed at all. I beleive Checkmate Industries makes a follower for their 1911 mags specifically designed for SWC, you may want to give one a try.

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldnt loctite them!! How will you remove to clean your mags? Congrats on winning your class btw

Thanks Robert. To be honest I was hoping to gain that knowledge here! I will admit that I don't clean my mags......yet, except for wiping off the dust and chasing out obvious large FOD. I also drop them in the sand at least 4 times a night! :devil: I have probably been lucky so far with no malfunctions. Might tear them down this week and see what they look like. I guess for now I will just check to see that the screws are tight when reloading between stages.